6 foot 3 with 20.25 top tube

Related:
Create New Tag

5/6/2020 1:56 PM

Hey guys , first post here.

I know this question has been asked before, probably a million times but I can’t find any information that suits my problem. I’m 6 foot 3, 210pounds (100kg-ish) and just getting back into riding after 5 years off. Few days ago I bought a near new Fit Benny 1 Sig but it feels different to the bikes I used to ride , unsure if it’s cause I’m rusty af or cause it’s too small for me. I’ve put the specs below.

Can I even ride this thing? Should I bother? Taller bars? Or does it not matter, kinda gutted cause I just bought it but don’t wanna have to relearn shit later if it is too small. My old tt was a 20.8 by the way.

Wheel Size 20"
Frame Benny 1
Materials CrMo Front Triangle
Top Tube Length 20.25"
Chainstay Length 13.1"
Head Tube Angle 75.5°
Seat Tube Angle 69°
Standover Height 8.25"
BB Height 11.7"
Brake Mounts 990 Mounts
Dropouts (Axle Size) 14mm Axle Slots
Fork CrMo Steer Tube, Tapered Legs, 3/8” Axle Slots
Handlebar 2 Piece, 8.5" x 28.5"
Stem Front Load Alloy 50mm
Grips Benny
Bar Ends
Headset Integrated 45°/45° Sealed 41.8mm
Cranks Fit Indented CrMo, 170mm, 8 Spline
Sprocket Fit CrMo Key 25 Tooth
Bottom Bracket Sealed Bearing Mid
Pedals Odyssey Twisted PC
Chain Odyssey Twisted PC
Driver/Freewheel 9 Tooth
Front Rim Revenge SW1 36 Hole
Rear Rim Revenge SW1 36 Hole
Front Hub Alloy Sealed 3/8” Axle
Rear Hub Sealed Cassette 14mm/1 Piece Driver
Front Tire Fit OEM 2.4
Rear Tire Fit OEM 2.4
Spokes 14g Black, Brass Nipples
Seat LO-BOLT Microfiber Pivotal
Seatpost 200mm Pivotal
Seatpost Clamp Integrated
Brakes Rear Alloy 990 U-Brake, Soft Compound Pads
Brake Levers Alloy 990 U-Brake, Soft Compound Pads
Pegs N/A
Weight 25 lb 12.7 oz (11.7 kg)

Cheers!

|

5/6/2020 2:30 PM

you can ride it. i'm 5'11 and ride a 19.5 top tube most of the time. you could try getting a longer frame though.

|

It’s all bmx

5/6/2020 2:46 PM

You need a waaay bigger frame, like 1” bigger.
21” bare minimum up to around 21.5”
Bigger bars on a small frame just turns bikes into scooters.

|

5/6/2020 3:01 PM

What problems are you having that's making you think the bike is too small?

Are you hunched over so much that you can barely tilt your head up to look forward? If so you probably want a taller bar, or stem.

Are you able to touch your stem/ bars with your knees when leaning forward, or hopping? If so you probably want a longer TT length.

I'm your same height and had both issues with my old 20.5" set-up. No matter what I did my knees would slam into my bars, or stem and now the only way I could do that on my 21.5" is if my feet slipped off the pedals.

If the only problem your having is the bike "feels" too small... You probably just have to get used to it again.

|

5/6/2020 3:18 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

Are you hunched over so much that you can barely tilt your head up to look forward? If so you probably want a taller bar, or stem.

Are you able to touch your stem/ bars with your knees when leaning forward, or hopping? If so you probably want a longer TT length.

I'm your same height and had both issues with my old 20.5" set-up. No matter what I did my knees would slam into my bars, or stem and now the only way I could do that on my 21.5" is if my feet slipped off the pedals.

If the only problem your having is the bike "feels" too small... You probably just have to get used to it again.

Cheers for the replies guys, so I definitely don’t feel like my legs hit the stem or bars when I hop or just ride around, but I do kind of feel like I’m looking straight down over the front wheel , like I have to take my cap off cause I feel like my view is obstructed and I can’t see forward. But it might be cause I’m a noob again and need to look straight down to hop

|

5/6/2020 3:58 PM

I picked up a Benny sig complete on Craigslist several years ago, thought it was 20.75? It felt too small for me and I'm 6'. Swap out the frame and upgrade parts as they break, that was my entry to a custom.

|

5/6/2020 4:03 PM

yaboyrella wrote:

Cheers for the replies guys, so I definitely don’t feel like my legs hit the stem or bars when I hop or just ride around, but I do kind of feel like I’m looking straight down over the front wheel , like I have to take my cap off cause I feel like my view is obstructed and I can’t see forward. But it might be cause I’m a noob again and need to look straight down to hop

Ya, given your height and the 8.5" bars + FL you might need a little bit more rise. Definitely ride it around more just to be sure, though.

A top load stem and 9" bars would give you about 1.5" of rise, so that would be a good place to start (if you feel like you need more rise in your front end).

|

5/6/2020 4:08 PM

4130Junkie wrote:

I picked up a Benny sig complete on Craigslist several years ago, thought it was 20.75? It felt too small for me and I'm 6'. Swap out the frame and upgrade parts as they break, that was my entry to a custom.

Looks like 2014-15 Benny 1 was 20.25" and 2016-17 was 20.75".

|

5/6/2020 4:23 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

yaboyrella wrote:

Bryan91 wrote:

Ya, given your height and the 8.5" bars + FL you might need a little bit more rise. Definitely ride it around more just to be sure, though.

A top load stem and 9" bars would give you about 1.5" of rise, so that would be a good place to start (if you feel like you need more rise in your front end).

Alright I’ll give that a go, so as long as I’m not hitting my legs or anything it should be alright to learn on for a while right? When all the stores re open I might go in and try a longer frame

|

5/6/2020 5:34 PM

Yeah, that's definitely a really small frame for your height, but that doesn't mean you cant ride it, unless it really starts to annoy you. Bigger bars would probably help a little bit, especially if you had them pushed forward slightly. Only thing is, while pushing your bars foward will make it feel longer, you're also going to be a little more likely to hit your knee on your stem.

But honestly, at your height, you might wanna just sell the frame and get a bigger one.

|

5/7/2020 6:29 AM

It partially depends what you're riding. If you're jibbing around park and street, short is ok. If you're going bigger like trails, go 21+

|

5/7/2020 11:40 AM

My suggestion would be get a 21, top load stem and taller bars.

I just had a 20.25 (im 5’11) im going to a 20.75 , top load stem and bsd 10” bars.

|

5/7/2020 12:08 PM

yaboyrella wrote:

Hey guys , first post here.

I know this question has been asked before, probably a million times but I can’t find any information that suits my problem. I’m 6 foot 3, 210pounds (100kg-ish) and just getting back into riding after 5 years off. Few days ago I bought a near new Fit Benny 1 Sig but it feels different to the bikes I used to ride , unsure if it’s cause I’m rusty af or cause it’s too small for me. I’ve put the specs below.

Can I even ride this thing? Should I bother? Taller bars? Or does it not matter, kinda gutted cause I just bought it but don’t wanna have to relearn shit later if it is too small. My old tt was a 20.8 by the way.

Wheel Size 20"
Frame Benny 1
Materials CrMo Front Triangle
Top Tube Length 20.25"
Chainstay Length 13.1"
Head Tube Angle 75.5°
Seat Tube Angle 69°
Standover Height 8.25"
BB Height 11.7"
Brake Mounts 990 Mounts
Dropouts (Axle Size) 14mm Axle Slots
Fork CrMo Steer Tube, Tapered Legs, 3/8” Axle Slots
Handlebar 2 Piece, 8.5" x 28.5"
Stem Front Load Alloy 50mm
Grips Benny
Bar Ends
Headset Integrated 45°/45° Sealed 41.8mm
Cranks Fit Indented CrMo, 170mm, 8 Spline
Sprocket Fit CrMo Key 25 Tooth
Bottom Bracket Sealed Bearing Mid
Pedals Odyssey Twisted PC
Chain Odyssey Twisted PC
Driver/Freewheel 9 Tooth
Front Rim Revenge SW1 36 Hole
Rear Rim Revenge SW1 36 Hole
Front Hub Alloy Sealed 3/8” Axle
Rear Hub Sealed Cassette 14mm/1 Piece Driver
Front Tire Fit OEM 2.4
Rear Tire Fit OEM 2.4
Spokes 14g Black, Brass Nipples
Seat LO-BOLT Microfiber Pivotal
Seatpost 200mm Pivotal
Seatpost Clamp Integrated
Brakes Rear Alloy 990 U-Brake, Soft Compound Pads
Brake Levers Alloy 990 U-Brake, Soft Compound Pads
Pegs N/A
Weight 25 lb 12.7 oz (11.7 kg)

Cheers!

U need a 24,26,29 plus these new bikes these days Ride like caddilacs... You can get the Best deal out of a local app from your own city, or the news paper. I'm your same weight, 6,1. I ride a 21.7 tt. That's cause I race. But everyone is riding the big se bikes. If I had the money I would buy one. Good luck. Get back into it. I'm 46 and had a 20 year hiatus. I'm back at like Mike Tyson with his license back 😂

|

J. Stjohn