6'0" rider, stuck between a 20.75" and 21"

Related:
Create New Tag

10/26/2017 5:40 PM

I'm looking to getting into BMX, but there is no way for me to try out any bikes in my small town. I've done a bit of research but I'm still unsure which size to get. I know a lot of it is personal preference, but being unable to try out any bikes really ruins it. For a new rider, which size do you recommend?

|

10/26/2017 5:44 PM

Get a 21.

|

10/26/2017 5:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/26/2017 5:57 PM

loxs wrote:

I'm looking to getting into BMX, but there is no way for me to try out any bikes in my small town. I've done a bit of research ...more

Build a junker from cheap and/or second-hand parts if you can or just get a decently specced full chromo complete. This will give you a good idea of how you'll prefer a setup. We could all tell you our preferred toptube sizes but at the end of the day, there's far more to a bike than just the TT length and it won't matter to you if you've nothing to compare it to. The geometry won't make a difference to you for the first while, it's more when you decide that you're in it for the long haul that you'll want to start changing things, the geometry of a given bike is just what the rider finds is most comfortable or helps with certain kinds of tricks but nobody finds out what they like until they've actually got a bike.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

10/26/2017 7:02 PM

Personally, I'd go bigger. 21+. BUT you are talking about .250 (about the width of a pencil) difference. I honestly don't believe you'll notice a difference. Look for something new or used & try to stay upwards toward 21". Just my recommendion.

|

10/26/2017 7:38 PM

Kink Liberty is 20.85 smile. I'm 5'10" and if I were any taller I'd go with 21".

|

10/26/2017 8:01 PM

I would like a 22"+ tt frame with a 13"ish chainstay and a 75.5° head tube.

Im sure I could have one custom built but I dont think it would make a big difference to my riding.

I just like my tt longer for knee clearance mostly, I hate hitting my knees on the bars.

But if you want my opinion go with a 21"+

21.75" or 22" would be nice too being around 6ft.

|

10/26/2017 8:03 PM

I ride a 21.75 and I'm 6'3 180lbs and its perfect..

|

10/26/2017 8:08 PM

Alright guys, thanks a lot for your advice. I've decided to go for the 21, thanks a lot guys.

|

10/26/2017 8:53 PM

loxs wrote:

Alright guys, thanks a lot for your advice. I've decided to go for the 21, thanks a lot guys.

21" is definitely the way to go.

|