1/1/2015 9:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/1/2015 12:39 PM

Yes, but brake plates are shit, might as well weld on mounts or get a new frame

|

Insta: @thenoahrolf
Refs: Hatebreeder, vinum
Bike Check

Wrong! Russia doesn't even have gays! America is 80% homosexual! - mantaymark

the word n****r actually means ignorant in its original definition it wasn't until the internet became popular and it was changed to mean black people - OneGuyIlluminatiEye

1/1/2015 9:04 AM

Yes, you can. That's how caliper brakes have been mounted on bikes forever. But I would suggest that before you start drilling holes that you actually have the brake plate. Mount the brake to the plate and position it on the bike. You will want the bolt hole for the plate to be drilled in the center of the frame bridge. Check to make sure it will fit correctly and that you won't have any issues with tire clearance. After you have done this then you can mark your hole location and start drilling.
With that being said, I personally don't like the idea of using a brake plate. But since your frame doesn't have posts to mount a brake this is the only option that will allow you to run one.

|

Bike Check

Instagram @tkeck74

1/1/2015 10:21 AM

Sure you can. But what are you gonna do about a cable stop?

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

1/1/2015 10:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/1/2015 10:54 AM

He could set it up with the hardware you would use if you were running it as a front brake. Not ideal but it would work. If I was in the OP's situation with my only option being to use a brake plate, I think I would prefer to mount it up front on the fork as opposed to the rear. I'd rather run just a front brake instead of the mess this is going to be on the rear.

|

Bike Check

Instagram @tkeck74

1/1/2015 1:07 PM

Just trade your frame for one with brake mounts dude

|

1/1/2015 2:53 PM

tomdon wrote:

Sure you can. But what are you gonna do about a cable stop?

He could just get removable hardware pieces, then drill the holes into the frame in the correct places & thread the hole that needs threaded

The brakes themselves won't work as well as welded u-brakes, but they'll at least stop you from getting hit by a car or something.

|

1/3/2015 9:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/3/2015 9:33 AM

This is why I think brakeless only frames are STUPID for a lot of people to buy, especially kids who just start riding and do not know what they like in a BMX.

Because kids are gonna want brakes at some point (not all, but some will) and they will MODIFY their frame, do something very wrong, or break their frame, and get SUPER PISSED if it is not covered.

CHECK WITH THE COMPANY TO SEE IF THE WARRANTY IS VOID.

And don't buy a brakeless frame again.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

1/3/2015 8:26 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

This is why I think brakeless only frames are STUPID for a lot of people to buy, especially kids who just start riding and do ...more

this hands down. I never really got the whole super clean look where theres no mounts or holes for hardware or anything...

I thought it was kinda stupid. because like you said, eventually odds are theyre gunna wanna try em out

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

1/4/2015 3:25 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

This is why I think brakeless only frames are STUPID for a lot of people to buy, especially kids who just start riding and do ...more

sketchytravis wrote:

this hands down. I never really got the whole super clean look where theres no mounts or holes for hardware or anything...

I ...more

The worst part is when you don't have mounts, you want to try them even more because you know you can't have them.

I had my BTM but I lost the mounts and the threads for the mounts got all fucked up and rusted, so I literally couldn't run brakes, and I wanted them SOO BAD for MONTHS but then I bought my Federal Roidhill frame and I CBA to buy brakes lmfao..

|