A E S T H E T I C Build Philosophies

Related:
Create New Tag

9/8/2018 6:03 PM

NO HATE! Just wana know what aesthetic build philosophies you gais have. Not saying anything that doesnt follow these bs little personal “rules” of mine is ugly. Also, I understand sometimes a part breaks and you use whatever you have laying around or bought cheap. Just imho, this is what looks best to me:

-Three colours max! (exceptions: multi-coloured part, preferably diff shades of the same colour, or a pattern like tie-dye or camo. A seat that at least includes one of the colours featured on the bike)

-Either black, raw, or chrome; never mix-n-match. (exceptions: if your frame is black, raw, or chrome, you can afford to mix it up a bit. OR if you run black parts and brakes, a chrome wheel looks better than worn paint)

-With coloured/gold parts, have at least two different parts in that colour/gold for balance.

-Flanged grips on 4piece bars. Non-flanged on 2piece. (exception: running brakes on a 2piece)

-If you only grind on one side, don’t rock four pegs if you arent even going to attempt grinding your oppo side. Yes, we can all tell.

-If a sticker is ripped, take the whole thing off. (exception: old-school bike with original stickers)

-Valve caps ALWAYS! (exception: removed stylized valve caps when chaining your bike)

-Dont overdo the oilslick. A little goes a loooooong way

-Topload stems 5ever! Super controversial, i know, but frontload to me makes your bike look like the front of a bus. Sorry, but thats how I feel.

|

9/8/2018 6:34 PM

I agree with alot of this...

I agree with the valve caps, bikes without them look ghetto af lol

And 3 colors is good too, on my bike ive got a red frame, polished stem, sprocket, and seatpost, and black everything else... oh but ive got camo pedal atm becasue thats all i had lol. The camo doesnt look too bad though lol

Photo

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

9/8/2018 7:08 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

And 3 colors is good too, on ...more

Good shit! The stickers are also tasteful, match well, and balance the bike. Like they bring the colours of your setup to the frame.

|

9/8/2018 8:47 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/8/2018 8:49 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

And 3 colors is good too, on ...more

XxCAKEWOLFxX wrote:

Good shit! The stickers are also tasteful, match well, and balance the bike. Like they bring the colours of your setup to the ...more

Those are actually the OG frame stickers lol. This frame is from 2014 and sat in some guys house for years and the guy sold it to me in February of this year. The only scratches on it were from a wheel being tightened on the dropouts... if you zoom in on the stickers it says "Sunday" on the downtube and "Soundwave" on the top tube... the frame is a Sunday Soundwave lol

|

9/8/2018 11:01 PM

My bike is perfect in my opinion. I love how it looks and feels. Photo
I hate the look of tall bars, and toploads. Bright colours look obnoxious. And most colours look pretty bad unless it's done well.
Brakes, gyro, and pegs all look poo.
I love the look of Ricky feathers old united, with the pale teal frame, bars and forks. But I couldn't do it because it looks like a complete bike.
Railed seats ftw (pivotal and tripod look like they've got an over bite, once I saw that I couldn't unsee it).

|

9/8/2018 11:02 PM

I agree with lots of the above, except the valve caps. tongue For some reason, I really like a capless look.

Now, a little while ago I had raw parts, but even with protective coating, the humidity here is insane, and I hated the look the metal was turning. So I went back to a setup that I ride most of the time.

For me...
- Match at least two colors, the frame being the only color of it's kind is an exeption
- Slammed seat
- Brakes w/detangler
- Bars just shy of vertical

My gyro plate and axle bolts are both lightly rusted raw, and both upper and lower cable units white to match my seat fox patch. I also like how the Maxxis tires logos match. Wow, I'm pretty strange, lol. XD

Photo

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

9/9/2018 12:23 AM

The opening post made me laugh internally because my bike is a total mix of buying whatever you can get for decent price and swapping parts from an old totally different color build to a new one. Also, I have a bit of a problem with "ooh that's a nice color, I want one" with no thought on the overall look.
Photo
I'll be buying parts with a bit more of an aesthetic eye in the future tho now that I can actually afford to do so.

|

9/9/2018 12:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/9/2018 3:09 AM

Cool, another excuse to post a pic of my whip!
I like black stuff. I like flanges on grips. And I need my sprocket and cranks to be the same colour.
Photo

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

9/9/2018 1:10 AM

Bars must be in line with forks. Bikes must look ridden, I fookin hate show bikes. Hub logos must line up with the valve hole, spokes can't cross the valve hole, rim logo must face drive side. More than a few inches of post showing looks like all you can do is pull up bars. 5mm max headset spacing, that's with a 5mm dust cover thing, so 10mm stack height is the absolute maximum. No long grips, stretched grips are fine, but having like one and a half grips each side looks like you can't pull tricks. No electrical tape to hold cables down, learn to set it up properly. Definitely don't attach the brake cable to your bars, especially if it's a straight cable.

I feel like this thread was made specifically so I could moan about other people's bikes XD

I could go on and on....

|

9/9/2018 1:45 AM

Pick a frame color, everything else black. In case of black frame, chrome bars are allowed.

Absolutely NO silly colored tires.

Modification usually needed for adding dual cable stops at the seat tube, the stop they put on the top tube is WAAAY too far back. Leaves 100 miles of exposed inner cable. So the drill usually comes out as soon as I get a new frame, voiding any warranty instantly.

|

9/9/2018 2:36 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Bars must be in line with forks. Bikes must look ridden, I fookin hate show bikes. Hub logos must line up with the valve hole, ...more

I wish my bike looked more ridden. I wish I had more time to ride it.. ?

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

9/9/2018 2:44 AM

frontload gang
"i dont want my bike lookin like a ridicilous fuckin giant horse" - Dan Lacey laughing

trans green frame with green-black swirl grips & everything else black and polished

Photo
Photo

|

9/9/2018 2:55 AM

I build what I like. I don't think about anyone else when I build my bikes. I buy brands I know and build quality wheels cause I'm heavy. Colors I like em wild. I'm old. In the 80s freestyle bikes were wild. If you like my bikes cool, if not that's cool too but I build em for me. I grew up poor. So my bikes were Frankenstein bikes that I built from constantly trading parts. Now I can afford decent shit.lol I ride the shit out of them too. They don't just sit around because I'm old.lol

Photo

Photo
Photo
Photo

Photo
Photo
Photo

|

9/9/2018 4:08 AM

408gt91 wrote:

I build what I like. I don't think about anyone else when I build my bikes. I buy brands I know and build quality wheels cause ...more

I'd happily take any of those builds, all look really nice to me

|

9/9/2018 5:12 AM

@408gt91 How u gonna post a riding picture of that DTT Haro but not a detailed pic of it, I wanna see it well!

|

9/9/2018 2:31 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

@408gt91 How u gonna post a riding picture of that DTT Haro but not a detailed pic of it, I wanna see it well!

There ya go bro!

Photo

|

9/9/2018 2:33 PM

I recently just sold the frame and forks. I used the stem, pedals, sprocket, seat, and wheels on my bonesaw.

|

9/9/2018 3:42 PM

408gt91 wrote:

There ya go bro!

Photo

That is for real badass my guycool

|

9/9/2018 3:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/9/2018 4:03 PM

I broke a hell of a lot of @XxCAKEWOLFxX's rules...but anyway

Small bars look the best
Frontloads look better to me, especially the PMA
I can't ride short back ends at all no matter how hard I try
Seat angle is also important. Gotta slope nicely down to the wheel for me to like how it looks.
Chrome back rim always for maximum brakeage
Who needs a seat post? Mine's cut to about an inch long
Sticker placement is important
Colored spokes are a sweeeeet bonus
No tires above like 2.20
Metal pedals always. Metal barends are nice too
Crusty mean and clean > Classy
It's gotta have that feel....and my bike does it for me.

Photo

|

9/9/2018 5:07 PM

Lmao
Photo

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

9/9/2018 5:15 PM

Four wrote:

Lmao
Photo

Photo
|

9/10/2018 6:24 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/10/2018 6:25 AM

I think I hit all of your bullet points except for the top load; I prefer the aesthetics of the front load (plus I'm running a gyro and 9" bars so I don't need the extra lift of the top-loader); but I'm pretty sure I'm checking all of the remaining boxes. In case it isn't easy to see, I'm running an oil slick stem and hubs, the rest is either raw, black, or "sand"/white. The only thing I am going to change is swapping the white/clear zip ties to black.

Photo
Photo

|

9/10/2018 6:58 AM

All I can say is, I'm a designer so aesthetics is extremely important to me. However, I don't really have rules. I have ideas of what I want my bike to look like and I go for it. I like that some people can put together a bike I would never think of and have it look pretty awesome.

I also kinda like how some kids rip with a really shitty looking bike.

I rode 2 piece bars forever, threw some 4 piece on and I love them. I might go back to 2 piece, who knows.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

9/10/2018 7:16 AM

i like when bikes are all black but have one random color part. i like all black but love mismatch stuff too, especially when its a ridden bike and youg et what you can get regardless of color

|

It’s all bmx

9/10/2018 8:10 AM

tiho wrote:

frontload gang
"i dont want my bike lookin like a ridicilous fuckin giant horse" - Dan Lacey laughing

trans green frame with ...more

Bike looks sick
I like 3 color bike as long as 1 color is neutral

|

9/10/2018 6:43 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I hate the look of tall bars, and toploads. Bright colours ...more

Sooooo pretty much you don't like my bike?laughing Or did i pull my obnoxious color well?laughing

But i dont have pegs so give me some credittongue

|

9/10/2018 8:27 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

I broke a hell of a lot of @XxCAKEWOLFxX's rules...but anyway

Small bars look the best
Frontloads look better to me, ...more

Love your bike looks rad but whenever I see a seat angled down like that so close to the back wheel I think about about elevators and shoelaces...you’ve got the perfect setup to be snagged and dragged by the shagstick and bag. I wrote an in depth thread about related fears/concerns titled “thoughts on edits with jockstraps”. As a rider who appears to be free from this fear (unless you wear a cup, if so review please), your perspective might add some jewels of consideration.

|

account here is less about my and more about bike

9/10/2018 11:16 PM

i have no rules.

wait. I have one rule.

if you run front brakes. the cable MUST go UNDER the cross bar. Not over the top of it. ever. never. ever.

seriously. that shit killls me.

|

9/10/2018 11:41 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Sooooo pretty much you don't like my bike?laughing Or did i pull my obnoxious color well?laughing

But i dont have pegs so give me some ...more

Get a front load, lose the brake, and chop your steerer a bit, then it'll be nice XD

|

9/11/2018 3:34 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

But i dont have pegs so give me some ...more

grumpySteve wrote:

Get a front load, lose the brake, and chop your steerer a bit, then it'll be nice XD

Ooooooooo damn. Thats alotlaughing

|