A cheap DIY hubguard idea i had! (It works!)

Related:
Create New Tag

3/2/2019 1:34 PM

Photo

This video!

|

3/2/2019 1:46 PM

Not a bad idea. One problem though: the propellants in spray cans are usually highly flammable(propane and butane being 2 of the most common). Cutting into a spray can, whether or not you think it's empty can be pretty damn dangerous.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/2/2019 2:04 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Not a bad idea. One problem though: the propellants in spray cans are usually highly flammable(propane and butane being 2 of the most common). Cutting into a spray can, whether or not you think it's empty can be pretty damn dangerous.

I do know that, i should've put a disclaimer... (ANYONE WHO TRIES THIS, USE MASK, EYE PROTECTION, AND WEAR GLOVES)

|

3/2/2019 9:33 PM

Or you could just buy a regular hubguard?

|

It’s all bmx

3/3/2019 7:57 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

Or you could just buy a regular hubguard?

Where i live, u really cant. Ofc i could order, but why w8 and spend money, if i can just make one in 5 mins for zero cost :D And the "DIY" part is really fun too!

|

3/4/2019 5:11 AM

I've used 1/4" thick steel with a hole drilled in it, and then bent it like 45 degrees. Worked well. This was before hubguards were a thing.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/4/2019 5:41 AM

How long does it last? I cant imagine this being thick enough to protect the hubs if you were to land directly on the guard. Does it bend into the spokes if you grind against it? If it does actually provide a decent level of protection, it might be a good option for a rider that doesn't grind very much or just wants a lightweight layer of protection for the hubs and doesnt grind at all. A bit of crash insurance, so to speak.

I would like to see a video on the abuse it can take before failing. smile

|

3/4/2019 5:51 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

How long does it last? I cant imagine this being thick enough to protect the hubs if you were to land directly on the guard. Does it bend into the spokes if you grind against it? If it does actually provide a decent level of protection, it might be a good option for a rider that doesn't grind very much or just wants a lightweight layer of protection for the hubs and doesnt grind at all. A bit of crash insurance, so to speak.

I would like to see a video on the abuse it can take before failing. smile

I also used something that was around the thickness of a soup can, worked decent BUT I don't grind a lot.

I drilled some holes and ziptied it on. Helped with a barrier over the spokes decently.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura