A few brake questions

Related:
Create New Tag

3/14/2015 5:01 PM

So i kinda want to get brakes back on my bike but my mounts got stuck in my springfields and won't come out and i was having other problems with them anyway so i figured i would start fresh. Thinking of ordering this setup Photo
I'm pretty sure that is everything i need but if it's not let me know. My main question is how do i know if those mounts will fit my frame? I have a skavenger el blanco loco and the mounts that came with it look like the fiend ones but without the wrench flats on them.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

3/14/2015 5:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/14/2015 5:08 PM

That brake setup has stood the test of time. At least the lever and calipers have. I have the calipers on my rear right now and I've ran them before. I have a blue set of calipers laying around too. But just so you know that cable isnt compatible with the way the hombres are. The one arm is not opened and can not be opened and still be functional. So either different calipers or a differen cable will be needed. As for the mounts, you obviously don't have the fly style lol. So it's either that style you chose or the fit/s&m style. Looking at your old mounts should give you the answer.

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

3/14/2015 5:35 PM

Is the quik slic cable actually easier/better like they say it is? Is this good? Photo

|

bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

3/14/2015 7:39 PM

I ran the quick slick for a while and it is a bit better but still no where as good at the tree cable. As for the leave best in the market. Don't know about the mounted though. Probably would be good to message from at empire and ask him. Sure he would be happy to help

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

3/14/2015 9:15 PM

I'd bite the bullet and just get someone to weld mounts on. Fuck removable brake mounts

|

It’s all bmx

3/14/2015 9:20 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

I'd bite the bullet and just get someone to weld mounts on. Fuck removable brake mounts

This, if you want good solid brakes it is the only way. FBM will weld mounts for a pretty reasonable price.

|

3/14/2015 9:33 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

bobPA wrote:

This, if you want good solid brakes it is the only way. FBM will weld mounts for a pretty reasonable price.

I was thinking about seeing if a local welder would do it for me but idk. I might just put some super glue on the threads or something lol.

|

bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

3/14/2015 9:35 PM

Welded mounts for the win

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

3/14/2015 9:38 PM

You'll be fine with non-welded mounts. I never had a single issue when I rode brakes (And I did more than just use them to stop) and I know plenty of people who've never had issues with them either.

I highly recommend NOT welding anything on it, even letting FBM do it. That will still void any warranty on the frame. Unless you already have no warranty on it or don't care, then by all means go for it.

|

3/15/2015 8:01 AM

I wouldnt weld anything to the frame for the simple reason that heat can make your frame softer, you dont know what kind of treatment the frame has and that can affect it for sure...

|

3/15/2015 8:42 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

You'll be fine with non-welded mounts. I never had a single issue when I rode brakes (And I did more than just use them to ...more

Removable mounts do work fine, but you can never get a crisp lever feel like with welded mounts. I've welded mounts on my current and previous frames and haven't had an issue. If your frame is still under warranty I would advise against it.

|

3/16/2015 8:43 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

You'll be fine with non-welded mounts. I never had a single issue when I rode brakes (And I did more than just use them to ...more

bobPA wrote:

Removable mounts do work fine, but you can never get a crisp lever feel like with welded mounts. I've welded mounts on my ...more

I have crisp braking even with old cables. I use MTB/Road derailleur inner wires and linear housing for the lowers, and a dual upper that is something like 5 years old now.

Feels as good as a linear slic straight cable.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura