A few questions

Related:
Create New Tag

6/21/2016 11:58 PM

So, I am a ways out of the BMX loop. My oldest daughter has a Haro right now. After two years most of the bearings are shot so...thinking about upgrading. My middle daughter is 10 and am going to buy her first descent bike and I am thinking about buying a 24 for myself. I don't need anything special just something to mess around on...I have a Secialized MTB also. So, I have most major brands available in my area...Stolen, Fit, Premium, Redline, Haro, etc...not looking to spend an absolute fortune. What brands do you think would be worth some consideration. I know similar questions are asked often and have read a number of the threads. Kind of lost when it comes to this though.

|

6/22/2016 12:13 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/22/2016 12:16 AM

There are soooo many Threads like these, but, here we go again...

KINK has good entry-level completes at lower prices than other brands. Fit is also another decent option.

If nothing interests you, look for 100% Chromoly parts, primarily the frame, fork, and handlebar. Anything that's an alloy metal, like Hi-Ten Steel with Chromoly combo, will be slightly weaker at points where the welds usually are. Look for sealed bearings in the wheels as they are a MAJOR part of making the bike roll smoothly. An integrated headset is very nice, but if you're just gonna "mess around on" a BMX bike, maybe it won't be of utmost importance. But, who knows, maybe you'll find BMX something you'll want to progress on, so I'd say go for the integrated for the better.

Hope this helps!

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

6/25/2016 11:22 PM

readybmxer wrote:

There are soooo many Threads like these, but, here we go again...

KINK has good entry-level completes at lower prices than other brands. Fit is also another decent option.

If nothing interests you, look for 100% Chromoly parts, primarily the frame, fork, and handlebar. Anything that's an alloy metal, like Hi-Ten Steel with Chromoly combo, will be slightly weaker at points where the welds usually are. Look for sealed bearings in the wheels as they are a MAJOR part of making the bike roll smoothly. An integrated headset is very nice, but if you're just gonna "mess around on" a BMX bike, maybe it won't be of utmost importance. But, who knows, maybe you'll find BMX something you'll want to progress on, so I'd say go for the integrated for the better.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info..got everything lined out. After many test rides, my two older daughters settled on a pair of Subrosa Arum(s). I just ordered my Colony Eclipse 24.

|