A little BMX history for ya.

Related:
Create New Tag

10/11/2012 6:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/11/2012 6:14 AM

You can agree with my opinion on this or not. I am not trying to trash anyone here, just stating facts and my personal experience......and one reason why I created f-bom bikes.

I started racing back in 1980. Back then, just about all BMX bikes were made in the USA by very small companies, mostly parents who got into the sport because of their kids. They wanted parts that were designed for what the sport needed because everyone was modifying Schwinn Sting Rays to work for BMX. This is how Redline, SE Racing, Mongoose, and Haro all got started. Riders or riders parents getting into it and making it happen.

By the late 70's through the mid 80's BMX boomed! It became commercial and well, a bunch of companies grew large and the sport became a profit center for them. BMX became about making a bunch of money and the big outsourcing trend began. Haro, Mongoose, Redline, and many others all started manufacturing in Taiwan......not because they made better bikes because if you ask any pro from back then.....bikes were breaking left and right and were not being designed for the level of riding that was happening.

In 87 or so, BMX saw a huge drop in popularity and well, for all these big giants......a drop in profits. Haro, GT, Mongoose, and others all started making mountain bikes and other bikes to survive, and that they did. Good for them......but for BMX, it was small rider owned companies that saved the sport from extinction. S&M, Standard, Hoffman, 2-HIP, and a few others all started making frames and bikes and they made stuff that lasted and could handle what BMX riders where dishing out. By 1992, BMX started to grow again. Bikes were heavy and by the late 90's technology started to come into play and well, now we are riding 22 pound freestyle bikes that can hold up. Thanks to companies like Standard Bykes who introduced OX Platinum (also known as SuperTherm) into BMX frames.

But you see, if and when there is a drop in profits for the big shareholders of these large companies that do all they can to maximize profits, and they do that by outsourcing...........they will drop BMX like a bad habit just like they did in the past. When that happens, we will have the smaller more dedicated rider owned companies to keep the sport alive. Why? Because we do this for BMX.......not to maximize profits and fatten our wallets. Look at most companies reps......seriously. Aside from a very few that I know of......most of them don't even ride BMX and really they are just a sales person with a job. Next month they could be selling soap and all they will do is talk about how great the soap they sell is.

Maybe I come off as harsh.......maybe I upset some with my opinion. But I didn't start f-bom to sit in the shadows......I started it to make a statement! One I strongly believe in because I love BMX and always will.......I don't care how fucking old I get..... I will always ride!!!

You don't have to like us, but trust me......many.....many people do because they understand why I am doing this and why I believe so strongly in making my statement.

It's about the ride! It's about getting fucking RAD on a bike......and it's about making the best quality products that suit the needs of today's riders.........not cheap.......but damn good!

|

10/11/2012 6:15 AM

my chain is too heavy

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

10/11/2012 6:51 AM

|

10/11/2012 7:40 AM

sbc785 wrote:

TL;DR?

[LINK TO IMAGE]

Not surprised. I think you have clearly shown what you are about.

But I do give a fuck..............whether you care or not does not matter to me.

|

10/11/2012 7:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/11/2012 7:56 AM

i thought i made it pretty clear what i was about when you first started posting on this forum....what do they always say, first impressions are the most important? Yeah, i'll always remember your company for the poor representation you made here on Vital...i'm just some random guy who doesn't own a company so i don't have to watch my toes, you on the other hand, well you do. I already don't like VeinBMX because they had a company rep (hell, i think it was the owner) came on here and was talking shit to some kid over something that was really dumb but the guy couldn't compose himself on a forum where he actually really needs to since the majority of his business is found on this website...well, a lot of people boycotted the guys site and he lost business, only takes word of mouth (or print in this matter). Now you see why it's important to not talk to people the way you do? You get kids pissed off and then your name is tainted...seems to me that since you're such a tiny company that hasn't even made a blip on the bmx radar, every person posting here on this board can and should be considered a potential customer, not just some 12 year old that you feel you don't need to cater to. If you feel you have to be a dick to kids, go to bmx-forum.com, you'd fit in much better over there.

and since you're a military "vet" like you say you are, you should know what i'm talking about...don't talk down to kids (i really shouldn't even need to tell you this man, you're over fucking 40 god damn years old), treat them with respect because who knows maybe their mommy or daddy is looking for the kiddies next new frame...but fuck it, you don't cater to12 year olds so what does their parents money matter to you....i mean fuck, you own F-Bomb bikes, the 1 of many small frame builders on this side of the pond that NO ONE HAS HEARD OF. You seem to like to use this site as free advertising, yet you don't give a fuck about it's members...hmmm...

|

10/11/2012 7:57 AM

Alright,


heres my point on buying American products vs Taiwan.

American products are overpriced (i understand it has to be because of material and labor) There isnt a big difference between American products and Taiwan in terms of quality. most big companies get all of there parts and shit from Taiwan while still making there frames here. Fbm is one of them, all their completes and parts are made overseas.

Why spend 400 to 500 on a us made frame when they break just as often as a taiwan frame for almost half the price. Shit i paid 160 for my superstar frame and has lasted me just as long as my old fbm and the frame looks amazing. When bikes are over 1000 just for a decent bike setup its hard to spend anymore on a frame thats half that cost. Look at the members on here, half of them cant even drive yet. The cost of technology has gone down tremendously yet the price of bike parts keeps going up. I deal with steel and shipping prices all the time, yes they have gone up but not that bad. Most companies have even dropped the steel surcharge.


If us companies want to get down and compete with taiwan they need a restructure their game plan and come out with shit these kids can afford. Of course there are spoiled brats who get all their shit from their parents but i have bought every single bike part that has ever gone on my bike and spending that much on an american frame, forks, or even bars is out of the option.

|

10/11/2012 8:00 AM

That was a pretty good read

|

2Hi throwaway



Anti-street?

NEWER VIDEO





TRV-950 Footy






Holy shit Chad Degroot posted in my Good porn thread!


VX all day(fixed, raw video, real shit)


Refs: Stayinonmagrind, Dee hos, Kevin Burnett

10/11/2012 8:05 AM

Bmxican406 wrote:

Alright,


heres my point on buying American products vs Taiwan.

American products are overpriced (i understand it has to ...more

to some people they think their small business is helping our economy when in reality it's not, especially when it comes to such a small thing like BMX. I agree with your point tho, i'd rather pay $150 for an imported frame with the same build quality as a $400 frame built in the States. Whoever builds it with quality but doesn't charge out the ass for it gets my dollars.

|

10/11/2012 8:05 AM

sbc785 wrote:

i thought i made it pretty clear what i was about when you first started posting on this forum....what do they always say, ...more

"don't talk down to kids"

You are making stuff up now.

I have yet to talk down to kids......or anyone.

Whatever.......it's time to disagree to disagree and move on.

You seem to be on a sole mission to taint my brand because I am certainly not doing it. Just makes me wonder why it matters to you so much. I am going to do what I am going to do.........and well, you can't change that. So just disagree and move on.......probably the best thing to do. Or is it too hard for you to let go?

|

10/11/2012 8:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/11/2012 8:09 AM

f-bom bikes wrote:

"don't talk down to kids"

You are making stuff up now.

I have yet to talk down to kids......or anyone.

...more

you haven't talked down to anyone? Really? Pretty sure i'm the 2nd person to bring up your condescending tone, but how about in your handlebar thread in which you're pretty much talking shit to the kid telling you what paint you should use on your wheels...even tho he was misinformed and had no idea you owned the company you do you still don't need to add stupid little comments.

and a sole mission? not even close, if i wanted to do that i would but honestly i know neither me nor any of my friends will ever buy one of your frames or any other products so in my eyes you already lost business.

but yeah, time to move on.

|

10/11/2012 8:36 AM

Well, my email has been ringing off the hook ever since I started posting here......so I think that some people like what I have to say. So in my eyes, I gained some business and well, probably from people who like that I back Made in USA products.

So I am moving along now because it's obvious you and I don't agree and likely will never get along anyway. Why beat it to death.....we disagree and well......it's a FREE COUNTRY so it's okay that we disagree.

|

10/11/2012 8:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/11/2012 8:56 AM

Great example is that i had a pair of s and m slam xlt bars, bent them in 4 or 5 months, i got a new pair but it took so long. I paid like 60 or so for them.


ordered a pair of bars from Vein bmx for $30 and they have been going strong for 6 months now.

They are even probably one of my fav bars ive owned.

|

10/11/2012 9:05 AM

Bmxican406 wrote:

Great example is that i had a pair of s and m slam xlt bars, bent them in 4 or 5 months, i got a new pair but it took so long. ...more

This, exactly just because it's cheaper doesn't mean it's always shit. I've seen their shit outlast top of the line stuff. I have the bars too.

|

Refs - Night Light(x2), TCbmx(x2), metalheadification, netty speghetti, Dee Hos, burkminipup, Jon_rides_Eastern, ridebmx34, ScramHype, Wolfen, mnsketch, EmpireMonopoly, howlerfbm, ThomasEller, ii Krxfted, zachhendrix, pcoco,

Phone - 704 - 797 - 6844

10/11/2012 9:09 AM

f-bom bikes wrote:

Well, my email has been ringing off the hook ever since I started posting here......so I think that some people like what I ...more

Photo
|

Refs - Night Light(x2), TCbmx(x2), metalheadification, netty speghetti, Dee Hos, burkminipup, Jon_rides_Eastern, ridebmx34, ScramHype, Wolfen, mnsketch, EmpireMonopoly, howlerfbm, ThomasEller, ii Krxfted, zachhendrix, pcoco,

Phone - 704 - 797 - 6844

10/11/2012 9:15 AM

Parts bend and break. It's is totally situattional. It's not always about how strong, it's about how a rider rides. That one landing could have done any handlebar in......you just don't know.

As a manufacturer.......we try our hardest to make stuff as best as we can. But since we ride ourselves, we know nothing is indestructible. BMX is hard on stuff. You could have a frame for a week or 10 years.......it all depends on what happens to that frame that matters. Historically our stuff lasts.......and so do many other brands. For the weight, I am actually impressed that we have not gotten any frame returned to us due to breakage. Our "ethos" frame is only 4lbs 2oz and well, it holds up. Not saying someone can't break one because someone will. But they do last and they are solid frames.

For bars, we use butted tubing and have them thicker where the curves and welds are..........and so do many other brands. They last too.......my f-bom bars are over a year old now.

|

10/11/2012 9:33 AM

So what do you guys do with your frames that other companies dont, or vice versa?

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

10/11/2012 9:52 AM

f-bom bikes wrote:

Well, my email has been ringing off the hook ever since I started posting here......so I think that some people like what I ...more

Now that is fucking funny!

|

10/11/2012 9:53 AM

Chuck8273 wrote:

So what do you guys do with your frames that other companies dont, or vice versa?

Oh boy. I could go on an on about this one. Hmmm? I will respond, but let me do a write up on that and I will post it later. Got work to do and well, we know how that goes.

|

10/11/2012 9:59 AM

sbc785 wrote:

you haven't talked down to anyone? Really? Pretty sure i'm the 2nd person to bring up your condescending tone, but how about ...more

In his defense, I gave him a valid option for his predicament with finding blue rims, odyssey haz lites in blue, and he gave me tone, so i fired the paint as a sarcastic response saying, "i hear this turns rims blue," kinda trying to be a dick back... I got off on the wrong foot with him with the advertising as well as the tone that i got from him after helping him. I'm not a fan of him, but to be honest, I don't think that effects my opinion on his brand, as well as cult's, because I believe they're one in the same. He, like cult, buys frames from standard (cult, from fbm, solid, and taiwan brands) and rebrands them and puts his own flare into it, like custom bottom brackets and headtubes etc. and paints them in his own colors and then sells them. Cult has been called out for doing the same thing, if you paid attention to them. To me, these companies are useless because you can get a custom solid, standard, or fbm frame for the same price in your own specs! Why pay an outsourcing brand to put their name on a frame from a different company? I wouldn't buy from him regardless of his attitude, because I don't like what his company, as well as cult's, does for business, and that is take credit and sell something that someone hand made in USA.

|

All my edits are iPhone edits...

last member of the week ever

G-SPORT - S&M - FIT - ODYSSEY

10/11/2012 10:09 AM

f-bom bikes wrote:

"don't talk down to kids"

You are making stuff up now.

I have yet to talk down to kids......or anyone.

...more

sbc785 wrote:

you haven't talked down to anyone? Really? Pretty sure i'm the 2nd person to bring up your condescending tone, but how about ...more

Skooter wrote:

In his defense, I gave him a valid option for his predicament with finding blue rims, odyssey haz lites in blue, and he gave ...more

This is exactly why I asked him what I did. My next frame will likely be a Standard, and I would just order it directly from them, with a few tweaks to geometry I already love. Also, considering I'm one of the larger riders on here, I would never even think of getting on a 4lb 2 oz frame.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

10/11/2012 10:26 AM

GT did more to keep bmx going than all those companies put together.You might say they gave all.

|

10/11/2012 10:34 AM

f-bom bikes wrote:

"don't talk down to kids"

You are making stuff up now.

I have yet to talk down to kids......or anyone.

...more

sbc785 wrote:

you haven't talked down to anyone? Really? Pretty sure i'm the 2nd person to bring up your condescending tone, but how about ...more

Skooter wrote:

In his defense, I gave him a valid option for his predicament with finding blue rims, odyssey haz lites in blue, and he gave ...more

Dudes.....it was all in humor.

When I saw the paint can.....I just assumed humor....which is why I made the Magna comment.

No big deal.

|

10/11/2012 10:39 AM

f-bom bikes wrote:

Dudes.....it was all in humor.

When I saw the paint can.....I just assumed humor....which is why I made the Magna comment.
...more

"Guess I am learning once again that these are the "riders with bad attitudes" forums. Seriously, what is up with that. It's people like me who were riding BMX when it first started..........no respect I tell ya."

this is what you said in reply to my comment with finding rims for you.

|

All my edits are iPhone edits...

last member of the week ever

G-SPORT - S&M - FIT - ODYSSEY

10/11/2012 10:42 AM

Skooter wrote:

In his defense, I gave him a valid option for his predicament with finding blue rims, odyssey haz lites in blue, and he gave ...more

f-bom bikes wrote:

Dudes.....it was all in humor.

When I saw the paint can.....I just assumed humor....which is why I made the Magna comment.
...more

Skooter wrote:

"Guess I am learning once again that these are the "riders with bad attitudes" forums. Seriously, what is up with that. It's ...more

he made the comment he wasnt singling you out man. Give the guy a break hes at least trying to get this forum and a bmx company a better go. Dont hurt the chances of his company or these forums from growing.

|

10/11/2012 11:19 AM

I think my company will be okay. It's not like these forums alone can bring down f-bom.

But yeah, thanks for the support and well.....I totally agree. Bickering on forums is what keeps people away from most of them. This is about BMX and well, BMX is a pretty damn sweet sport and all who want to be involved should be welcome.

Rock on!!

|

10/11/2012 12:18 PM

trying top promote a brand on here is the worst business plan ever... . Half the people on here give 0 fucks(sbc and myself included) and the other half are broke and dont want to take the chance on a random company... Im apart of both...

|

I have nothing against pegs at all, I don’t think you’re dumb if you ride pegs, I don’t care about your pegs, they are just pegs! What I do hate is the fact that every person in BMX hops on this bandwagon of three pegs, and beanies, and weed, and hop-over grinds… It’s just sad that the pros who influence kids are more worried about looking cool than the kids themselves! It’s crazy!-Trey Jones

10/11/2012 12:18 PM

Why does age matter let the guy do whatever he wants? Who knows maybe one day his company will get big. It's just like animal Ralph started his company in his parents garage and now look how big it is. Let they guy do whatever he wants because your never too old to start anything. Yes american made products are over priced but maybe he has good quality parts? Don't judge his parts without trying them for yourself.

|

10/11/2012 12:19 PM

and sbc vein talked shit on anybody who said something bad... it was quite a dissappointment and they screwed up... they faded alot since then...

|

I have nothing against pegs at all, I don’t think you’re dumb if you ride pegs, I don’t care about your pegs, they are just pegs! What I do hate is the fact that every person in BMX hops on this bandwagon of three pegs, and beanies, and weed, and hop-over grinds… It’s just sad that the pros who influence kids are more worried about looking cool than the kids themselves! It’s crazy!-Trey Jones

10/11/2012 12:25 PM

sbc785 wrote:

TL;DR?

[LINK TO IMAGE]

seems like you do care enough to waste your time posting this......pathetic

|

REFSREFS: Four, agfracing, bmx4life121303, Austin_Read, the balt, handlebar-to-face, Murtaugh, killjonken, Bmx&volkswagens, TCbmx(x2), spikez5, A08, SuperstarDK, blizzbikes, ecuadevil, BMX4Lyfee, Kroller, 2283kdogg, ShadowBmx1995, WeAreFucked, killedglamour, Showtime402, ScramHype, Prophet, 2wheelguy, ugot2dewitt, Sancheezz, tomdon five16-207-nine457

10/11/2012 1:53 PM

wow....thanks for outlining what everyone knows on here....if you didnt notice, thats why Wal-Mart bikes have zero popularity on here....who would have thought? damn. well i congratulate you on 1) wasting my time & 2) making you and your "company" look like idiots on here...quite successfully. i avoid people like you and companies like yours like the plague. nice job

|