ACL Tear

Related:
Create New Tag

10/26/2012 6:24 PM

Any of you dudes tear your acl? Dr. says i most likely tore it, this happened about 2 weeks ago and in about another 3 im going back to him and he's telling me if ill need surgery or not. Will i still be able to ride back to the way i was before my tear without surgery or is it better to have it? pretty bummed on this

|

10/26/2012 7:01 PM

Get surgery. Trust me, I thought I could ride without having surgery when I tore mine. I tore mine 3 years ago.. October 23rd.. rode for a few weeks till I blew my knee out again bailing on a feeble grind 180 out and it was honestly the worst fuckin pain ever. that was around the end of November and I finally had surgery December 4th.. couldn't even pedal around towards the end of January.

So yeah, you'll definitely want surgery. it sucks ass but at least it's in the winter, you'll be out 6 months for it to fully heal but pedaling around is actually reallyy good for your knee. my surgeon said I could start doing small stuff around the 5th month.. but after about 2 months I was already doing a few small things, I would recommend that cause it's very dangerous and can easily be torn again.

|

10/26/2012 7:07 PM

ive never done anything to my ACL but i shattered my growth plait. just got the cast off yesterday, the bad part is that im 14 and still growing. so if i grow to much the doctors will have to break my other one to even my legs out. i know how it feels not being able to ride, it sucks. but defiantly get surgery if it will be torn easily again. no need to go through it twice!

|

10/26/2012 7:24 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Get surgery. Trust me, I thought I could ride without having surgery when I tore mine. I tore mine 3 years ago.. October 23rd.. rode for a few weeks till I blew my knee out again bailing on a feeble grind 180 out and it was honestly the worst fuckin pain ever. that was around the end of November and I finally had surgery December 4th.. couldn't even pedal around towards the end of January.

So yeah, you'll definitely want surgery. it sucks ass but at least it's in the winter, you'll be out 6 months for it to fully heal but pedaling around is actually reallyy good for your knee. my surgeon said I could start doing small stuff around the 5th month.. but after about 2 months I was already doing a few small things, I would recommend that cause it's very dangerous and can easily be torn again.

Damn that sucks, i was hoping that i could get away with not having surgery and just doing workouts to strengthen it some. I figured that surgery would probably be the best route to go but the thought of not riding for 6 months is killing me and i look forward to winter because i live in florida and its so nice to ride during winter

|

10/26/2012 7:26 PM

i tore my ACL but never had it operated on although i wish i had because it's still weak (happened probably 7 years ago now).

|

10/26/2012 7:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/26/2012 7:32 PM

swirley809 wrote:

Damn that sucks, i was hoping that i could get away with not having surgery and just doing workouts to strengthen it some. I figured that surgery would probably be the best route to go but the thought of not riding for 6 months is killing me and i look forward to winter because i live in florida and its so nice to ride during winter

Technically, I think you CAN, but it's not recommended. If you do physical therapy to strengthen your knee muscles, they act in place of the ACL, also wearing a brace helps.I'd sooner say just get the surgery, cause you blow that out again.. it's not fun at all. Also, I was told if you don't have it repaired, later on down the road you can develop arthritis there faster since your knee joints are scraping together more.

Surgery for sure blows ass, but I'm glad I had it done. I felt so unstable doing anything, even walking, before I had it fixed. As long as you do your physical therapy & don't ride too hard, you should be okay to do little stuff. I was doing 180s, smaller wallrides & grinds, and manuals within a few months. Just be SUPER careful not to land funny. I don't condone doing that though.

|

10/26/2012 7:36 PM

The combacks is the best movie ever. ACL TEAR!

|

Check out my youtube channel!! http://www.youtube.com/user/mikel8149

10/26/2012 7:45 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Technically, I think you CAN, but it's not recommended. If you do physical therapy to strengthen your knee muscles, they act in place of the ACL, also wearing a brace helps.I'd sooner say just get the surgery, cause you blow that out again.. it's not fun at all. Also, I was told if you don't have it repaired, later on down the road you can develop arthritis there faster since your knee joints are scraping together more.

Surgery for sure blows ass, but I'm glad I had it done. I felt so unstable doing anything, even walking, before I had it fixed. As long as you do your physical therapy & don't ride too hard, you should be okay to do little stuff. I was doing 180s, smaller wallrides & grinds, and manuals within a few months. Just be SUPER careful not to land funny. I don't condone doing that though.

Yeah, the thing i'm scared of the most is not getting the surgery and doing something and then bam blown out again. and yeah thats what my dr said, if i don't do the surgery than i'll be fine with workouts and stuff like that but my knee will always be weak and could eventually develop in other problems.

|

10/26/2012 8:07 PM

swirley809 wrote:

Yeah, the thing i'm scared of the most is not getting the surgery and doing something and then bam blown out again. and yeah thats what my dr said, if i don't do the surgery than i'll be fine with workouts and stuff like that but my knee will always be weak and could eventually develop in other problems.

Yerp pretty much. Better to just get it. plus you get these neat screws in your leg haha
[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

10/26/2012 8:20 PM

oh those look like fun haha

|

10/26/2012 8:22 PM

For sure haha they don't hurt at all anymore though, you'll be fine

|

10/27/2012 12:43 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Get surgery. Trust me, I thought I could ride without having surgery when I tore mine. I tore mine 3 years ago.. October 23rd.. rode for a few weeks till I blew my knee out again bailing on a feeble grind 180 out and it was honestly the worst fuckin pain ever. that was around the end of November and I finally had surgery December 4th.. couldn't even pedal around towards the end of January.

So yeah, you'll definitely want surgery. it sucks ass but at least it's in the winter, you'll be out 6 months for it to fully heal but pedaling around is actually reallyy good for your knee. my surgeon said I could start doing small stuff around the 5th month.. but after about 2 months I was already doing a few small things, I would recommend that cause it's very dangerous and can easily be torn again.

swirley809 wrote:

Damn that sucks, i was hoping that i could get away with not having surgery and just doing workouts to strengthen it some. I figured that surgery would probably be the best route to go but the thought of not riding for 6 months is killing me and i look forward to winter because i live in florida and its so nice to ride during winter

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Technically, I think you CAN, but it's not recommended. If you do physical therapy to strengthen your knee muscles, they act in place of the ACL, also wearing a brace helps.I'd sooner say just get the surgery, cause you blow that out again.. it's not fun at all. Also, I was told if you don't have it repaired, later on down the road you can develop arthritis there faster since your knee joints are scraping together more.

Surgery for sure blows ass, but I'm glad I had it done. I felt so unstable doing anything, even walking, before I had it fixed. As long as you do your physical therapy & don't ride too hard, you should be okay to do little stuff. I was doing 180s, smaller wallrides & grinds, and manuals within a few months. Just be SUPER careful not to land funny. I don't condone doing that though.

My mom got an ACL tear from basketball when she was 17, she said it hurt like fuck after about 1 year and the pain never went a way but slowly got better, about 6 months ago she twisted her knee and brought back old pains, but she also let me know by the time sh was 20 (three years after the accident) her knee gave out all the time (not wanted for biking!!!) she recently had surgery to get rid of a cist but here is the problems she had from not having the surgery.

Cists Building Up,
Loss of Cartilage,
Knee gives out,
Fluid Build up,

and its been about 2 months since the surgery and she is walking fine but she isn't allowed to go back to work (therapist for autistic kids) for like another 2-4 months.

|

10/27/2012 1:26 AM

I tore mine before, plus a broken leg and torn meniscus. But I tore my ACL in half and I was out of bikes for 9 months but In that period of time I had time to study filming and photography more so it was a lose/win situation. Yes, get surgery, if you need anything just email me questions and I'd love to help you with any questions. bmxhope@gmail.com ACL isn't fun dude and I was seeking out to other dudes that tore theirs for questions so I'd do the same for others.

|

Vimeo.com/bmxhope
Flickr.com/bmxhope

10/27/2012 4:42 AM

Damn all this is making me lean towards the surgery. Do you guys trust your knee while riding? Would I have to start riding street more cautiously or could I get back to like some heavy duty street riding, big drops and heavy impacts

|

10/27/2012 6:29 AM

swirley809 wrote:

Damn all this is making me lean towards the surgery. Do you guys trust your knee while riding? Would I have to start riding street more cautiously or could I get back to like some heavy duty street riding, big drops and heavy impacts

I was really cautious for a few months even after the 6 month healing period but that's just how I am. I fully trust it nowadays and don't hesitate to 360 off a big loading dock or something

|