ACL tear recovery

Related:
Create New Tag

1/2/2014 9:03 PM

Alright boys,so I tore my acl at Woodward riding back in July and didn't get my surgery until early September. I've been off my bike for 6 months and it's been brutal. It's been about 4 months since my surgery and I can run a couple miles without any issues, my left leg is a little skimpy but almost back to same size as my left. I got my full range of motion back and I'm itching to ride sooooso bad. Anyone else with this injury? How long till you started riding street again? I feel like a heroin addict looking for a fix! I put this edit out about a week before my injury, when can I go back to riding how I was!?
">

|

RIP Randy Taylor

Check out my edits @ youtube

Refs: getemslough, ktm-kx339, Redcrayon, kneegrow, KTM339, eod1214, tylerkng96, diamondgang760, tibug, White Knight, Dolphin, 562_Rider, joe loves shadow, Michael_Melendez, Sessionpro, aguers, Stolen Boy, ecuadevil, ridebmx34, ScramHype, Vam999

1/2/2014 9:05 PM

I'll be here in a minute and give you a run down hold on, I'm eating pizza

|

1/2/2014 9:12 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I'll be here in a minute and give you a run down hold on, I'm eating pizza

Hahaha I just read you're comments on some other dudes thread. I'm all ears!

|

RIP Randy Taylor

Refs: getemslough, ktm-kx339, Redcrayon, kneegrow, KTM339, eod1214, tylerkng96, diamondgang760, tibug, White Knight, Dolphin, 562_Rider, joe loves shadow, Michael_Melendez, Sessionpro, aguers, Stolen Boy, ecuadevil, ridebmx34, ScramHype, Vam999

1/2/2014 9:20 PM

Okay so I watched the video, and you're about a little bit under the skill level I was at when I tore mine (October 23rd, 2009) except you have barspins a lot better than I did at that time, and a few other nitpicks. So this shouldn't be that hard to explain.

So, you're 4 months Post-Op. Do NOT jump the gun at this point, this is the point where the ACL is still transforming into an ACL & will be weak. By the 5th month period, you can ease back into it and slowly get your skill level back up. 4th month, if you REALLY must, stick to just manuals & 180s. I don't recommend doing that though. I started back up slowly at just under the 2 month mark of Post-Op, I was doing 180s, manuals, wallrides even though I was told not to. The itch was so big! Plus, just riding & pedaling is GOOD for the ACL! But of course I got the itch to do tricks and eased back into it early, luckily I didn't fuck up and tear it again but so easily could have. By the 5th month "OK" period the doctor gave me to ease back into it, I was already back to doing manual 180s, bar height grinds, 360s off higher things, and random things in between. Barspins though, I don't recommend trying until later in the 5 month mark because I tried one and slammed my knee really hard & it hurt like fuck cause that area was super sensitive. You're better at them though so you might not but still.

Here's an edit filmed from the 4, 5 & 6 month period of riding when I was just getting back into it

boyle iphone edit from boyleee on Vimeo.

There's an edit floating around of me & my 2 friends when I was about 2-4 months getting back into it somewhere, I'll link you if I find it. Basically stuff like that is all you should stick with at the moment, nothing crazy like manual bars or big 360s.

Also, curious, what type of surgery did you have? I had a hamstring graft done to mine.
|

1/2/2014 9:31 PM

Found the other edit, up till 2:24 is all me from the 2-4month period, note my very slow riding haha. Also sorry for it being in portrait mode, my friend was under the assumption that even if you filmed in portrait mode it still came out to landscape mode on the phone like an idiot hahaha.

?feature=player_detailpage
|

1/2/2014 9:37 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Okay so I watched the video, and you're about a little bit under the skill level I was at when I tore mine (October 23rd, 2009) except you have barspins a lot better than I did at that time, and a few other nitpicks. So this shouldn't be that hard to explain.

So, you're 4 months Post-Op. Do NOT jump the gun at this point, this is the point where the ACL is still transforming into an ACL & will be weak. By the 5th month period, you can ease back into it and slowly get your skill level back up. 4th month, if you REALLY must, stick to just manuals & 180s. I don't recommend doing that though. I started back up slowly at just under the 2 month mark of Post-Op, I was doing 180s, manuals, wallrides even though I was told not to. The itch was so big! Plus, just riding & pedaling is GOOD for the ACL! But of course I got the itch to do tricks and eased back into it early, luckily I didn't fuck up and tear it again but so easily could have. By the 5th month "OK" period the doctor gave me to ease back into it, I was already back to doing manual 180s, bar height grinds, 360s off higher things, and random things in between. Barspins though, I don't recommend trying until later in the 5 month mark because I tried one and slammed my knee really hard & it hurt like fuck cause that area was super sensitive. You're better at them though so you might not but still.

Here's an edit filmed from the 4, 5 & 6 month period of riding when I was just getting back into it

boyle iphone edit from boyleee on Vimeo.

There's an edit floating around of me & my 2 friends when I was about 2-4 months getting back into it somewhere, I'll link you if I find it. Basically stuff like that is all you should stick with at the moment, nothing crazy like manual bars or big 360s.

Also, curious, what type of surgery did you have? I had a hamstring graft done to mine.

Word, this helps sooo much I appreciate it! My bike is actually in pieces right now because I took it apart so I wouldn't ride. This gives me HOPE. I know I'm gunna be nervous trying anything for the next 6 months but this puts me at ease a little. This was just a preview edit to give you an idea of where I was post injury and you got the idea. But yeah I had a hamstring graft done as well. Looking to get my bike back together in the next couple weeks. Thank you!

|

RIP Randy Taylor

1/2/2014 9:42 PM

ajp62696 wrote:

Word, this helps sooo much I appreciate it! My bike is actually in pieces right now because I took it apart so I wouldn't ride. This gives me HOPE. I know I'm gunna be nervous trying anything for the next 6 months but this puts me at ease a little. This was just a preview edit to give you an idea of where I was post injury and you got the idea. But yeah I had a hamstring graft done as well. Looking to get my bike back together in the next couple weeks. Thank you!

Yeah no problem! I considered doing the same to mine but was too set on going & riding it the moment I got the okay so I didn't wanna have to put it back together haha. But yeah, just ease into it and still be careful at the 6 month mark. I'm 4 years post-op now but sometimes I still get sketched out when landing weird on my right leg, I don't even feel the pain though except from surgery, my knee is still a tad sensitive & a tiny bit numb. Wonder if that'll be the same for you? haha doesn't affect anything though, 100% of my range of motion is back and it's still nice & flexible from the PT. Good luck with everything & getting back into it

|

1/2/2014 11:40 PM

What tricks did you guys tear these on ...... Sounds brutal

|

1/2/2014 11:50 PM

eskimojay wrote:

I bunnyhopped as high as I could down a hill right after school, it was wet out & I guess my feet didn't wanna stay on the pedals so mid-hop I took my feet off, left leg landed fine, right leg landed and slipped & twisted my knee wrong and I ate shit, but somehow didn't ditch my bike so I got right back up & pedaled off thanks to adrenaline. After that wore off I was in a heap of pain.

You were probably hoping for a cooler story but nope, I tore my ACL in a really dumb way haha.

|

1/2/2014 11:56 PM

Damn Sunday, you ride much better than me and even gnarlier when I'm feeling at the top of the world!

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

1/2/2014 11:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/2/2014 11:57 PM

I've taken some bad slams over the years I'm not the type of dude who's stoked on hearing or watching bad crashes I just want the info for tips on how if possible to avoid those type of injuries.........my doctor tells me my cartilidge in my knees are worn down pretty bad and ill eventually need surgery......deffinatly not looking forward to that day I'm trying to ride it out as long as I can

|

1/3/2014 12:01 AM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

Damn Sunday, you ride much better than me and even gnarlier when I'm feeling at the top of the world!

haha thanks! I love looking back on old edits, those were 4 years ago this Spring

|

1/3/2014 12:09 AM

eskimojay wrote:

I've taken some bad slams over the years I'm not the type of dude who's stoked on hearing or watching bad crashes I just want the info for tips on how if possible to avoid those type of injuries.........my doctor tells me my cartilidge in my knees are worn down pretty bad and ill eventually need surgery......deffinatly not looking forward to that day I'm trying to ride it out as long as I can

Riding it out could make it worse though, then again I did the same thing..

Dumbfuck Hospital told me nothing was wrong with my knee without giving me an MRI, said I'd be good in 3 days. 3 days later I still need crutches to walk, so I went to schedule an MRI, had that done & the surgeon says I can either ride with a brace or have surgery, so me wanting to ride badly again opted for the brace option, but was going to need physical therapy to strengthen it, and couldn't do either of these until the swelling went down. Luckily I didn't have to waste money on the brace or PT at the time cause about a month after I initially tore it, I was getting back into riding again. Felt pretty good, was trying a manual to feeble, switch 180 out, and well I didn't rotate enough so I put my bad leg down and my entire leg just gave out & I ate shit. It hurt so bad, if not worse than tearing it.. After that I scheduled surgery as soon as I could. Looking back I wish I would've just had surgery right away but my younger teenage mentality was "I just wanna ride dammit, fixing it can wait!" haha

|

1/3/2014 12:14 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/3/2014 12:17 AM

Getting older sucks after 14 years of riding my body is starting to fall apart ......but every season the last 4 years I've taken some heavy slams nearly killed myself a couple of times been on the shelf quite a bit I'm hoping for a serious injury free season this year but I don't like to hold back on riding so that may not happen .......after to many concussions to count a brain hemorrhage, torn and re torn ligaments allover, lots of shoulder dislocations, vertebrae dislocations when I was younger I'm surprised I haven't broke a bone yet......I'd like to keep it that way......I plan on starting training in the gym at work 5 days a week on Monday for the rest of winter to get ready for riding in the spring

|

1/3/2014 7:54 AM

This reminds me of that poor girl Lindsey Vaughan. At the peak of her career and right before the most important event of her life she has NO ACL. She is all crapped up.

|

1/3/2014 8:45 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Ahhh I was doing a 360 off a grind box over a decent sized gap but I was going way too fast so I just put my left leg down to keep my balance and got tangled up in my bike

|

RIP Randy Taylor

1/3/2014 10:24 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/3/2014 10:24 AM

be careful about taking pain meds
not saying to stop taking, but dont overdo it
oxycodone/contin/vicodin addiction can be a bitch
dont rush it either

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

1/3/2014 11:09 AM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

dont rush it either

Those things tasted like complete shit to me, I hated taking them. I don't see how people get addicted to them haha I was so happy to get off them

|

1/3/2014 11:34 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Those things tasted like complete shit to me, I hated taking them. I don't see how people get addicted to them haha I was so happy to get off them

How did you progress so quickly??? Did u have older riders there to teach you?

|

I ride for my papou.
Cats got 9 lives I got four.

1/3/2014 11:49 AM

SickDude wrote:

How did you progress so quickly??? Did u have older riders there to teach you?

Because I don't spend my life on forums trying to troll people & being a scooterfaggot like you.

But to answer the question yes. This was the crew I rode with every weekend, I'm not in this one but I'm in the other one, this was filmed when I tore it/had surgery.

|

1/3/2014 11:53 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Because I don't spend my life on forums trying to troll people & being a scooterfaggot like you.

But to answer the question yes. This was the crew I rode with every weekend, I'm not in this one but I'm in the other one, this was filmed when I tore it/had surgery.

Sunday I quit because some local riders want to hurt me. Im doing scootering until some time passes so I can ride again dude.
I actually want your advice on what to do but you will just be mean. What's Ur Facebook so we can talk this through dude. I'm tired of being stupid and stuff on vital to get attention

|

I ride for my papou.

1/3/2014 11:57 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Dude your edits are all legit. This one with your friends is good, but the moment where the dude is running naked thru town is funnt as hell XD haha you dudes are all shredders!!

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

1/3/2014 12:08 PM

SickDude wrote:

Sunday I quit because some local riders want to hurt me. Im doing scootering until some time passes so I can ride again dude.
I actually want your advice on what to do but you will just be mean. What's Ur Facebook so we can talk this through dude. I'm tired of being stupid and stuff on vital to get attention

You mean you're getting bullied? As much as I hate you for making a big deal, I really wanna come help you out.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

1/3/2014 12:11 PM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

You mean you're getting bullied? As much as I hate you for making a big deal, I really wanna come help you out.

No it's just that they think I said something I didn't say at all. Swear to God. And like 2 months ago they said that they were gonna crack me. But hopefully it dies down soon yo

|

I ride for my papou.

1/3/2014 12:33 PM

SickDude wrote:

No it's just that they think I said something I didn't say at all. Swear to God. And like 2 months ago they said that they were gonna crack me. But hopefully it dies down soon yo

Your fault for doing shit for attention, this is problebly for attention to.. You scooter so leave until you get back on the bike.. They're no real reason to fix that. You can't tell your parents cuz then they'll call you a moms boy, just go out and talk to em. If you get kick the shit out of then maybe they'll just forgot about what happened. Probs because your an annoying little faggot

|

Bang Bang bmx

1/3/2014 12:42 PM

ThugLifeBmxRiderz wrote:

Your fault for doing shit for attention, this is problebly for attention to.. You scooter so leave until you get back on the bike.. They're no real reason to fix that. You can't tell your parents cuz then they'll call you a moms boy, just go out and talk to em. If you get kick the shit out of then maybe they'll just forgot about what happened. Probs because your an annoying little faggot

Shut up dude. I roll with a crew now so if anything happens I have people who care about me to back me up. Also I ride with a blade on me I case anything gets crazy. And no it wasn't for attention I just told someone else that I didn't agree with their drug and alchohal usage and he told em but distorted my words

|

I ride for my papou.

1/3/2014 12:45 PM

MaximusBikes wrote:

Dude your edits are all legit. This one with your friends is good, but the moment where the dude is running naked thru town is funnt as hell XD haha you dudes are all shredders!!

Thanks! I just wish the majority of them still rode, one of them was insanely good, as in tailwhipping a 13 stair. but yeah that part was funny as shit, I wish I could've seen it in person

|

1/3/2014 4:46 PM

ThugLifeBmxRiderz wrote:

Sickdude will never get his ass kicked. He'll just chin check the mofo

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine

1/3/2014 11:01 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

dont rush it either

Those are some words of wisdom. But yes defiantly I only took them for like a week, I know how that is

|

RIP Randy Taylor

1/3/2014 11:42 PM

SickDude wrote:

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

SickDude wrote:

Fuck it I ripped off somebody by accident then next day realized I ripped the kid of like 100 $. Tons of people were after me (20-40) and nothing ever happened I just rode at home for a couple weeks since I had a box anyways & wanted time away from there and went back like nothing happened. #1 carry a ok sized knife INCASE anything DID happen ie: taking a piss and get surrounded, someone steals your bike shit like that.

|

Instagram

Refs:tomdon x4,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest