AXLES ON REAR HUB

Related:
Create New Tag

4/3/2017 3:35 PM

This will most likely sound confusing, but on my female rear hub, the drive side axle is tightened, but when I loosen it or tighten it all it does it loosen or tighten the non drive side axle, it wont really budge itself, please help, thanks!

|

4/3/2017 4:22 PM

Could you explain that a bit better? It's not so much confusing as hard to understand.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/3/2017 5:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/3/2017 5:16 PM

ToasterChris wrote:

This will most likely sound confusing, but on my female rear hub, the drive side axle is tightened, but when I loosen it or ...more

I understand this perfectly only because this happened to me, haha.

Loosen the axle that's stuck (as best you can) with a wrench while both bolts are tight. However, only loosen it slightly (i.e. - Just tight enough so it's more than hand-tight but loose enough so you can move it without strenuous effort).

Once loosened pretty tightly (sounds conterproductive, but I think you sorta get it), but not too tightly, go to the side that's not stuck with a separate wrench.

Now, all at one time, loosen both bolts with sudden force, as they loosen in opposite directions. Seems dumb, but I got this to work three times with my old wheel before I got the one I have now. Should you successfully get them out, be sure to grease them to prevent this again. I greased mine after the first day I got it. It's been two years and the problem never happened again.

Hope this somewhat helps even though I'm sure someone else has a better method. smile

EDIT: If your frame dropouts have relatively fresh paint on them, this causes the bolts to slip when loosening and, therefore, stopping the "stuck" bolt from allowing the other side to loosen without slipping.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

4/3/2017 5:35 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Loosen the axle that's stuck (as best you can) with a ...more

So he meant the drive-side bolt is tightened onto the cone? If that's the case, tighten the non-drive-side onto a frame so the head is between the dropouts and loosen the drive side, easy as.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/3/2017 6:41 PM

ToasterChris wrote:

This will most likely sound confusing, but on my female rear hub, the drive side axle is tightened, but when I loosen it or ...more

readybmxer wrote:

Loosen the axle that's stuck (as best you can) with a ...more

Thanks but the wheel isn't stuck in the dropouts its just stuck alone, it wont go into the dropouts because the axle that is stuck.Photo

|

4/3/2017 6:53 PM

ToasterChris wrote:

Thanks but the wheel isn't stuck in the dropouts its just stuck alone, it wont go into the dropouts because the axle that is ...more

Just tighten the other side onto the outside of a frame dropout so that the head of non-drive-side bolt is facing towards the other dropout. Then just loosen the drive-side off.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

4/3/2017 11:05 PM

Ohh, I see. Then what p1p stated should work perfectly.

|

@scootereyn

4/4/2017 2:02 PM

Thank you so much P1p1092 and ready bmxer, I can't even express how happy I am, the hub was new thanks so much!

|

4/4/2017 4:59 PM

Happy you're happy! smile

|

@scootereyn