About to pull the trigger

Related:
Create New Tag

11/5/2017 12:43 PM

So I'm about to pull the trigger on a eastern shovelhead, but I have the Hoffman bama and the KINK whip on my mind as well, and before I pull the trigger, just wondering if out of the three, do you think the shovel head has the best specs in quality parts. I'm just getting cold feet I guess and don't want to make the wrong choice.

|

11/5/2017 1:45 PM

I really can't speak for anything but the shovelhead as I haven't seen the other two in person. I have the shovelhead & think it's great.great specs, good quality welds, imho, the best deal going.maybe someone else can chime in on the others

|

11/5/2017 1:57 PM

The whip is a little better, but shovelhead is probably the better for the cost

|

Ride till you die

11/5/2017 2:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/6/2017 6:19 AM

I'd say the Bama is a little more geared towards park or trail with it's geometry. The shovel has the longest top tube & the Bama has the longest chain stays & the whip has the shortest top tube. They all probably have similar parts. I know, for a fact, the shovel has forged brakes, levers, hub shells, and (most importantly) stem. Can't speak for the others.

|

11/5/2017 2:04 PM

Actually the shovelhead is usually 459 but it's on sale for 399, and the whip is only an extra 20 bucks, 419, and the bama is 399

|

11/5/2017 2:05 PM

What's is more important to me is the best frame, incase I decide to upgrade things in the future, I have a solid frame to work with

|

11/5/2017 2:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/5/2017 2:11 PM

I think they are all about the same quality-wise in the frame department. I'd concentrate on the better geometry that fits you the best & for your intended riding (I.e. Park, trail, street) although all would be fine, some are just geared a little more for their respective intended uses

|

11/5/2017 2:20 PM

Yeah street/park

|

11/5/2017 2:22 PM

The kink or the shovel will be more responsive and will spin easier. The Bama will be more stable at speed & on the trails.

|

11/5/2017 2:29 PM

Ok thanks guys, I'm 5"11 so I think I'm gonna stick with my choice of the shovelhead, thanks homies!

|

11/5/2017 6:25 PM

Manny Perez wrote:

Ok thanks guys, I'm 5"11 so I think I'm gonna stick with my choice of the shovelhead, thanks homies!

Good choice! wink

|

11/6/2017 12:32 AM

I'd base it on the geometry. They're all so similar spec wise that you won't notice a huge difference. Chances are you'll have to dial em in a little anyway. But geometry would be my focus

|

11/6/2017 4:33 AM

Cam-bmx wrote:

"The whip is a little better..."

Based on what logic?
|

11/6/2017 5:43 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I'd say the Bama is a little more geared towards park or trail with it's geometry. The shovel has the longest top tube & the Bama has the longest chain stays & the whip has the shortest top tube. They all probably have similar parts. I know, for a fact, the shovel has forged brakes, levers, hub shells, and (most importantly) stem. Can't speak for the others.

Forged parts are a pretty big deal to me. Stem especially. A pot-metal cast stem works but is hard to trust for doing tricks.

|

11/6/2017 6:46 AM

Yeah the Shovelhead is going to be a really nice bike bro!

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

11/6/2017 7:38 AM

I would of also liked an explanation from cam to why he said the KINK whip is better

|

11/6/2017 7:42 AM

Kink is better geo for park street, shovelhead is a trails bike hence the name. Go for the kink it'll be a better street bike... Kink is what I'd grab...

|

11/6/2017 7:49 AM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Kink is better geo for park street, shovelhead is a trails bike hence the name. Go for the kink it'll be a better street bike... Kink is what I'd grab...

The Shovelhead has street geometry. It has a 75 degree head tube and short stays. Definitely street, not trails.

|

11/6/2017 7:59 AM

BcBMX80 wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

The Shovelhead has street geometry. It has a 75 degree head tube and short stays. Definitely street, not trails.

All Eastern are trails bikes and any bike CAN be ridden anywhere....I don't ever think ive seen a non dusty eastern not on a trail on their staff bike checks... I get the geo , but the kink is the way to go...just look at it...I guess itll come down to the OPs personal preference... Not really a bad choice across the three...

|

11/6/2017 8:40 AM

Damit, I'm about to say screw it, and buy a scooter

|

11/6/2017 8:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/6/2017 8:44 AM

BcBMX80 wrote:

All Eastern are trails bikes and any bike CAN be ridden anywhere....I don't ever think ive seen a non dusty eastern not on a trail on their staff bike checks... I get the geo , but the kink is the way to go...just look at it...I guess itll come down to the OPs personal preference... Not really a bad choice across the three...

I guess I don't get where you are getting your reasoning (aside from old info about a model from years ago). The geo's are nearly identical except for the fork offset (32mm for the Whip & 28mm for the Shovelhead) which seems to me that the Shovelhead would have quicker steering due to less offset than the Whip. Both have 75 degree head tube angles and both have 13.25 stays. How one could be a trails bike & the other not is confusing.

|

11/6/2017 8:51 AM

Thank you mishinn, I have to wait to purchase the shovel since it is out of stock on their website at the moment, they said next week they would have more instock, if I get inpatient I'll probly end up buying a KINK whip, but I'm gonna try and hold off since I really like the shovel heads appearance

|

11/6/2017 8:58 AM

Manny Perez wrote:

Thank you mishinn, I have to wait to purchase the shovel since it is out of stock on their website at the moment, they said next week they would have more instock, if I get inpatient I'll probly end up buying a KINK whip, but I'm gonna try and hold off since I really like the shovel heads appearance

They have been "sold out" for some time. My guess is that, in an effort to keep costs down, they only make so many of each model & when they are out, they are out. I'm guessing what you will see in the next week or so is the "2018" models. Whatever you get, keep us posted!

|

11/6/2017 9:22 AM

Manny Perez wrote:

No....

No you are not!!!

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

11/6/2017 9:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/6/2017 9:48 AM

I think its kinda funny how no one could give away an eastern last year and now they are out of stock. Mind boggling to me how anyone would choose an eastern over a kink but hey... To each thier own. I've always associated and seen eastern associated with dirt and jumps, not arguing the geo just saying in my mind I see a dusty eastern on a hardpacked trail... Its personal pref and as stated he's gotta pick the bike that he likes to look at and ride... The black camp does look pretty sick but so does the whip... Always loved kink colourways... I think missh is on commission from eastern as he's probably sold 20 of them lol... You should be anyways lol

|

11/6/2017 9:48 AM

Manny Perez wrote:

sXeBMXer wrote:

No....

No you are not!!!

Yea don't do this...

|

11/6/2017 9:52 AM

I can legitimately say I've never seen anyone riding at eastern on trails.
Eastern got a bad rep for going a bit over the top to make things light, so pretty much everything they made broke. Pretty sure they've learnt their lesson. But they've never appealled to me anyway. But I'm a snob....

|

11/6/2017 9:54 AM

Cam-bmx wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote: "The whip is a little better..."

Based on what logic?

Based on its not an eastern and it says KINK... Lol

|

11/6/2017 9:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/6/2017 10:01 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

I can legitimately say I've never seen anyone riding at eastern on trails.
Eastern got a bad rep for going a bit over the top to make things light, so pretty much everything they made broke. Pretty sure they've learnt their lesson. But they've never appealled to me anyway. But I'm a snob....

Really ever single on of thier employee bike checks and vids are on trails or with trees in the background, bike in dirt...

I count 6 on front page alone, just as many in parks I guess so a great all rounder then?

http://easternbikes.com/category/product/bike-check-product/

I'd still get the kink. Lol

|

11/6/2017 10:56 AM

So I just ordered a highlighter orange scooter, swag!

lol no jk, I'm gonna just order the KINK whip since I can't wait anymore, any suggestions on what site to order from? They all pretty much have KINK whips in both colors in stock. I saw a thread about danscrap, now I don't want to order from them anymore, I live in Miami by the way

|