Absolute best bmx memory!!

Related:
Create New Tag

9/30/2021 5:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/30/2021 5:23 PM

What is your favorite bmx memory or experience from this great sport we call bicycle motocross!?

Mine would be the first roadtrip outside of my town to the Louisville extreme park. Riding a classic skatepark with incredible features although I had no idea of it at the time. It was the Fourth of July weekend and it’s was an incredible experience with all the fireworks and shenanigans in between! This was also the first time seeing other more talented bmx riders outside of my local scene like Marcus Grubbs, a dude named Brian, and a dude named Anthony. Photo.

|

My mom thinks I’m special

9/30/2021 5:57 PM

Probably getting my first solo trail spot dialed and running. The second year I had everything running really well. I was pretty proud of myself for busting my ass and really staying the course.

Last jump in the mainline
Photo

Being ridden
Photo

|

9/30/2021 6:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/30/2021 6:26 PM

Just cruising at night with friends, being a teenager and able to provide my own transportation and roam the streets with friends was great

If it’s specifically riding, my week at Woodward, it was just BMX 24/7 which at the time was by far the best place to be for riding

|

9/30/2021 6:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/5/2021 7:54 PM

When my autistic son (Lil Ghost) who outgrew his 16" stingray didn't seem to be liking the 20" stingray I built him. I was kinda disappointed and worried he might just be loosing interest in riding..

He is basically non verbal and when he does talk he uses very few words.

I took a chance and picked up a used Verdi and brought it home and showed him.

When he saw it for the first time he looked at me, reached out and grabbed the grip, smiled and spoke one word..

"Mine"

Photo

|

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult: Seneca

9/30/2021 6:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/30/2021 7:00 PM

Living in Jersey for the first 17 years of my life. I still have spots that no one has touched there. Riding not only A.S.S. Skatepark where George Hoernig, George Dossantos, Garrett Byrnes, & Brad Gethard rode, but also riding Incline from 01 to 04. Meeting SO many pros. Riding my first contest there. Having Garrett Reynolds as one of my childhood best friends. Having Staff BMX be my lbs even though I lived 2 hours away. Being from Jersey really did make BMX life so much easier. The pic is from the 2002 Taz Attitour. They came my local Walmart & Garrett came down to ride with me. The 3 in the pic were the only BMX riders there and we forced the promoters to have a contest for the BMX riders. Lol. Garrett got first, I got 2nd. I'm the one all the way to the right btw.

Photo

|

9/30/2021 11:37 PM

Far too many to narrow it down . I honestly don't know where I'd be without bmx . I met my best friend at the bike rack in middle school and we still ride today . I have met every friend I still speak to today through my bike in one way or another. But when I'm old I'll never forget the long nights riding with the squad . No rules no destination just cruising the beach at 3 am smoking pot and loving our freedom

|

10/1/2021 4:24 AM

IndianaTom wrote:

What is your favorite bmx memory or experience from this great sport we call bicycle motocross!?

Mine would be the first ...more

I got to ride this version of Louisville in 2008-had a TON of fun there!

I've got a ton of memories, some are really awesome, some not so awesome. I wouldn't change it for the world.

A funny one was at an indoor/outdoor park in Mankato MN we were riding a mini ramp inside. A guy crashed on something, took his board and threw it. My buddy Cole tossed his bike into the ramp. The skater threw his helmet. Cole slide down into the ramp and took his shirt off and threw it down. The skater did too. Cole then started undoing his belt and the skater guy busted out laughing and was like "Nah. I'm done now!".

Another was being chased by a Flava-Flav wannabe in Charlotte NC. Guy had a legit EXIT sign around his neck. We took off trying to ditch him cause he was following us around. I thought I was gonna die when I got separated from my buddies and that dude followed me around the city. I ended up going up and down some stairs, around a building or two, through an alleyway and then I saw the guys I was riding with. I don't think I have every sprinted that fast on a bike.

Man I could keep going with the stupid antics we got into back in the day. The memories are a bit different now, mostly of me riding without hurting myself, landing something I used to do all the time and haven't in years, and of my kids riding and trying to go up or down ramps at the skatepark. The look on their faces when they nail what they are trying (they are 7 and 3) is something I will always cherish. I know that feeling of accomplishment and I love to see it on their faces!

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/1/2021 6:31 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

When my autistic son (Lil Ghost) who outgrew his 16" stingray didn't seem to be liking the 20" stingray I built him. I was ...more

That was beautiful.

|

10/1/2021 6:57 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

When my autistic son (Lil Ghost) who outgrew his 16" stingray didn't seem to be liking the 20" stingray I built him. I was ...more

spencer666 wrote:

That was beautiful.

Thanks man!

Just to add...

I've always been into bikes my whole life. BMX when I was younger, downhill MTB during college years, and restoring and riding antique cruisers. It wasn't until I started messing around with his Verdi when I caught the BMX bug again..

I literally have him to blame/thank for even being on this site..lol

I'm extremely glad he didn't dig that stingray. I also believe BMX has helped him with his confidence and self esteem too..

Photo

|

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult: Seneca

10/1/2021 8:16 AM

justin vogelsberger wrote:

Far too many to narrow it down . I honestly don't know where I'd be without bmx . I met my best friend at the bike rack in ...more

yeah i moved across the country a little over ten years ago and there were these shitheads at my middle school who would hang out by the bike racks, talk trash, and piddle around on their BMX bikes...end of that school year i made honor roll and my parents bought me a kink gap so i could ride around with them...those shitheads are still my best friends

|

10/1/2021 8:44 AM

My first ever BMX jam in London earlier this year. Everyone was on the same vibe me and my friends were on and the experience was so good!
Photo

|

10/1/2021 10:41 AM

The first time I felt the weightlessness of jumping, other than off my two feet. Was hooked then, still chase that experience now.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

10/1/2021 11:15 AM

i was riding bike party and it was near the end where the riders get spread out into little packs. well i was lagging behind these wheelie bike or fixie kids and they all ran a red light in front of this little miata car. the driver was clearly annoyed by them and then saw me about to ride in front of him too, so he hits the gas and i bunnyhopped over his hood.

some kid on a fixie was behind me and saw it happen !

|

wallride a bus everyday

10/1/2021 1:20 PM

the first time i went to austin as a 18 year old kid with some older riders, i had no clue about anything. we ended up riding at the T1 ramp and hanging out with joe rich and a few local pros.

|

It’s all bmx

10/1/2021 7:09 PM

When this was an every weekend thing.

Friday: get out of school, I rode to school so a couple of us would ride right into town from there and wait at the rite aid by the bike shop and grab a monster and/or snack. Others would get out of school and show up. Then the older riders would get off work and show up, maybe drink a monster, talk some shit, then ride all night and usually end our night in the square just chillin.

Saturday & Sunday: Wake up, send out a mass "Bikes?" text, ride down to the bike shop and see 3-4 cars out back with bmx bikes on the back and everyone sitting around waiting for another car to show up/everyone else to get there. Maybe migrate to the rite aid for a monster/snack, then ride all night again and chill in the square before heading home and the week starts again.

The scene is pretty dead here now, only a couple people ride anymore and none of us really care for riding our town anymore. I really miss that shit.

Photo

|

10/2/2021 2:58 AM

To be honest, I don't think it'll ever get any better than ripping coaster brake skids as a little kid in the driveway with my brother.

|

10/2/2021 5:38 AM

Way too many to narrow down. First time making it through a line at the trails, first proper air out, looping a cradle (every single time), 2010 Gold Coast road trip, riding street at night in my hometown, Halloween Jam, riding Bondi from midnight til sunrise before taking a dip in the sea and going to bed, all the Vans contests, riding what’s left of T1 with Joe Rich, Nina, B Hunt, Dolecki, Dani and more, seeing Chase ride House Park, riding Unit 23, all the ACT Jams.

|

10/2/2021 5:40 AM

The session I landed my first barspin.

Never had try to throw it before that session, only did chicken bars. Did not even plan to do anything special that session.

One friend told "fuck it stop being scared and throw".
Somehow, some way, I threw it and immediately felt that it wasn't as scary as I thought.
Landed it an hour later after 20 or so tries.

To this day I'm sure that if I hadn't tried and landed it that day, I would be one hundred times a worse rider than today.
So many things that seem unattainable before that suddenly felt possible. Made me way less cared to try things, realizing that most of the time it's easy to bail. Made me learn loads of new combos.

Still remember that session very well.

|

10/2/2021 10:25 AM

When I was about 20 and me and my friends were all jobless bums that got drunk almost every day then rode street at night. I'm glad I've grown out of that, but it was so much fun

|

10/2/2021 1:59 PM

.pegless. wrote:

When I was about 20 and me and my friends were all jobless bums that got drunk almost every day then rode street at night. I'm ...more

Did you ever have the chance to live in a BMX house? Nothing but friends, parties, and riding. I think I was 24 the last time I was in that living situation. It was fun but then I started making real money after college and found out that not having to share a toilet with 10 other dirtbag dudes is actually pretty awesome. Good times though.

|

10/2/2021 3:02 PM

.pegless. wrote:

When I was about 20 and me and my friends were all jobless bums that got drunk almost every day then rode street at night. I'm ...more

MostlyBowlDoggin wrote:

Did you ever have the chance to live in a BMX house? Nothing but friends, parties, and riding. I think I was 24 the last time ...more

I've sofa surfed a couple of times, luckily I'm not a twat and was kinda the older more sensible in my friend groups back then so my friends parents were happy to let me stay on the sofa for a few nights a week. I lived with students a lot in my early 20's too. One was with some skaters, and one was with a bunch of scene kids who were friends with my riding buddies.

|

10/3/2021 2:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/3/2021 2:51 PM

My best bmx memory is riding for the first time after a 3 year injury. It felt amazing
|

10/4/2021 4:31 AM

Got a new one, not specifically BMX, but my 3 year old rode a 2 wheel pedal bike for the first time this weekend.

Proud Dad moment for sure!

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

10/4/2021 6:42 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

As a father myself, this gives me the feels. Awesome man!!!

|

10/4/2021 7:25 AM

Riding around town in ( late 80s early 90s ) with all my friends without a care in the world. Talking trash to each other, being silly, visiting girls on our bikes and just doing what teenagers did then pre cell phone, facebook and an overwhelming of electronics.

My 2nd best memory is recent actually. Getting my Sunday Soundwave for my last birthday and falling back in love with Bmx. Then treating myself to a Bmx cruiser a couple months later. And finally getting my WTP Battleship complete for my upcoming 47th birthday. I have progressed my riding to the point that I am a better rider than I ever was as a youngster.

|

10/4/2021 3:58 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Got a new one, not specifically BMX, but my 3 year old rode a 2 wheel pedal bike for the first time this weekend.

Proud Dad ...more

Huge congratulations man!!

Such a benchmark in the life of a child, and possibly an even bigger deal as a Dad!

I was so damn happy when I finally got Lil Ghost on two wheels, definitely validation in Dadville..

|

10/4/2021 7:57 PM

MostlyBowlDoggin wrote:

Did you ever have the chance to live in a BMX house? Nothing but friends, parties, and riding. I think I was 24 the last time ...more

oh man i had to bail on the last month of rent on my cousin to move into a bmx house. ill make it back to him. totallly fucking worth it though. that backyard was honestly like the best bmx ramps i have ridden.
sketchy rollin, to big box, to a big wall of quarters, with a nice wide 7foot tall in the middle and it returned you to a fat ass hit and back up the roll in. and on the side was a wedge jump and small quarter that we sesssioned soooooooo much.
and the front yard street secton: slightly curved rail center piece

|

wallride a bus everyday

10/5/2021 6:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/5/2021 6:56 PM

My first handrail. I was fifteen years old on a 45 lbs Free Agent Super Fortress. If you’re not familiar with this bike, it was beefy! Everything was over sized.

My crew and I went to a local high school. There was a row of nice shiny, just under handle bar height rails. I don’t recall how many steps there were but it wasn’t a lot. Not too steep. Pretty much perfect for a first handrail. I started to do some run ups. It became a lot.

My buddy wanted to go do a rail that was around the corner of the school. I continued to run up to the rail and chicken out. Finally out of the corner of my eye, I see all my friends hiding behind a big tree watching me.

It was time to pull the trigger and go for it. I pedal towards it and hop. Before I knew it I was shooting off the end and riding away. They all just started cheering and running towards me. I’ll never forget that feeling or that memory. While I already loved riding bmx, that just cemented my love for the sport for the rest of my life.

Photo

|

10/5/2021 6:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/5/2021 7:16 PM

I think my best memory is something rather simple...that feeling of just pedaling around your town. Young, no care...you had the summer ahead. Cassette player in pocket and just jammin' to something like Tool or Deftones. This was the early 2000s. Another memory is knowing the new RIDE BMX was going to be showing up in your mail any day.

|

REF: HELLOMYNAMEISRAD, CKY99, skribblez32, northeastern25

10/6/2021 8:08 AM

I wish I could say my best memories of bmx were when I was a kid or when my kid picked up a bicycle but bmx as a kid wasn't as free as the rest of you and my son is terrified of bikes (though I made sure he knows how to ride one). As a kid, we'd do tricks in the ditch or on the street out in front of our house but I wasn't allowed to ride too far. My buddy's dad did build some dirt ramps for us and that was a great time.

My best memories of bmx are pretty mild and they're in the last two years that I got back into this mess. I'm the typical story of dude who used to ride and then picked it back up in his late 30s (though I did other types of riding through the bmx gap in my life). Riding bmx for me (especially during the pandemic) is my meditation now. Pedal time is me time.

My best memories are things like discovering the dirt bump a block or so away from my house and sending it for the first time. I still grin from ear to ear everytime I jump that stupid thing. Or finding the pavement split at a nearby factory lot and jumping it until security comes out boggling at why some grown ass adult on a tiny bike is out there. The hundreds of times I've bombed a hill on the multi-use trail here, fishtailing and skidding at the end while pedestrians share the same confused look as the security guard at the factory. The first time I finally landed a bunny hop on top of the little 1ft box at the skate park. My tires made the sound of sneakers on a basketball court when I got both wheels up there and then did the same when I came off the other side. Going to the weird local bike park, anxious and nervous that i'd slow people down but then blasting the session ramps for an hour until I could barely lift my bike anymore. Sending the first few ramps on the slopestyle course at the same location. Riding my cruiser all around town in the warmer evenings, jumping curbs and avoiding dogs.

It's all simple stuff. No big tricks and just by myself, just something about the cruise. The fluid motion of gliding around on a bike and getting the heart active.

As much as I'd like to, I don't have any bmx homies; there's nobody to ride with here as far as I know. I live in a small town. There's a lot of bike culture in the surrounding area but it's mostly MTB-centric. The few bmx riders I've seen mostly communicate via social media and I don't use any of those sites. When I do see someone on a bike at a skatepark, they've either been a young kid (maybe 10-12 years old) or if they're older, they seemed really unfriendly. The older ones are also far more talented than I am, maybe that's why. So for now, I'll make my own memories.

|