Any ‘older’ riders?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/11/2020 3:41 PM

Ive just got back in to riding bikes after a 10 year gap.
My kids are spending alot of time at their local and since they are too young to be there themselves i go along with them, lasted all of 3 days just sat there watching before i caved and boughy a 2nd hand bike to potter about with them. Now the bugs well and truly bitten again im constantly scouring the web looking for upgrade parts (very keen on baz keeps tall order stuff, the youtube channel is great too)

I grew up riding ROM skatepark in Essex and there was always a very diverse age range of folk skating or riding. Since ive picked up a bike again and moved to the other end of the UK it seems like the skateparks i go to with my kids the oldest folk aside from me is 14 (im 29) I'm still yet to see another bmx at any of the places i go to with my kids. Its not like the parks are ride are shite either, our local park is something i would have rode miles for back in the day.

So has bmx fallen out of popularity in 10 years? Are there many others out there still going despite having to be a ‘normal’ adult and using their spare time to roll about a set of 20’s?

Not gonna lie, it would be nice to ride with someone more closer to my age and not look like a nonce, which is why i dare not hit up a park on my own without my kids lol

|

8/11/2020 3:48 PM

You're not allowed to call yourself old at 29, dude. I'm 36 and there are guys 10+ years older than me here. BMX is alive and well!

Plenty of riders here in the UK, it might just be your locals are devoid of a BMX scene.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

8/11/2020 3:57 PM

29? you could be my kid....

|

8/11/2020 3:58 PM

49 here

|

8/11/2020 4:36 PM

45 going on 13...

Just remember this..

You're never too old to act immature..

|

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult: Seneca

8/11/2020 5:19 PM

I should down vote for the old at 29 lol

49 and waiting to get a bike after my kid's inally gets here Thursday.

|

8/11/2020 6:16 PM

37 here. Vital isn’t the place to be calling 29 old. Haha.

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

8/11/2020 6:20 PM

39 here.. this f'n guy calling himself old. Lol. Just messing bud... I don't ride as in leave the ground much or put my cock n balls in harms way like I used to. But welcome to the club pal.

|

8/11/2020 7:51 PM

Spongeworthy wrote:

37 here. Vital isn’t the place to be calling 29 old. Haha.

So the "Vital" in VitalBMX means for us to check our Vital Signs? lol

|

8/11/2020 8:21 PM

31 here and just building a bike and getting back into bmx. Haven't rode since I was 18.

|

8/11/2020 10:14 PM

Well, looks like i may have upset a few folk unintentionally. I guess ‘being old’ is subjective when you dont see anyone at your local who isnt much more than 15 years younger than you 😂😂

I mist say though, falling off hurts a bit more than it used to, and im sure it wasn't as physically demanding as it was 10 years ago!

|

8/11/2020 10:44 PM

yarders91 wrote:

Well, looks like i may have upset a few folk unintentionally. I guess ‘being old’ is subjective when you dont see anyone at ...more

I’m 100% sure that no one was actually upset by your comment. We already know we’re old guys riding little kids bikes.

|

8/11/2020 11:52 PM

Sponge, love that post 😂. That's the wife's favorite line when she sees me on a bike. I mean a kids bike.

|

8/12/2020 12:37 AM

yarders91 wrote:

Well, looks like i may have upset a few folk unintentionally. I guess ‘being old’ is subjective when you dont see anyone at ...more

Spongeworthy wrote:

I’m 100% sure that no one was actually upset by your comment. We already know we’re old guys riding little kids bikes.

Course i know guys are joking, just trying to make some light banter.

We recently went to Stirling to visit a safari park with the in-laws . Took the kids scooters and the bike. “How old are you?” Was the response i got from them when i pulled my bike out the boot to take then to kings park skatepark 😂

|

8/12/2020 12:39 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/12/2020 12:41 AM

Welcome back, old man! 😂
42yo re-starter here and loving the new lease on life. Mentally and physically.

I know exactly what you mean about hitting the parks alone. Last year I was sat on my bike watching my boy at our local when some random woman started making a bee-line for me. Before she reached me my lad called out "Dad! Come here!" then she stopped, turned to her mate and shouted "It's OK, he's got kids!" and walked away! 😳
I mean, I get it but I was still fuming. Needless to say I'm strictly street when I'm without the boy.

|

8/12/2020 1:34 AM

geezabmx wrote:

Welcome back, old man!

I know exactly what ...more

Its strange isn’t it? Now the kids have gone back to school where i am i can squeeze in a ride at an empty park when i’m working lates or have a day off.

|

8/12/2020 2:07 AM

geezabmx wrote:

Welcome back, old man!

That infuriates me. I took three months off to stay at home with my son when he was younger, and now doing the same with my daughter. Women constantly staring, and then rushing over to their kids if you get even remotely close to them while playing with your own. There’s a false perception that dads don’t spend time with our kids, but then when we do we’re treated as if we’re up to no good. At least I play with my kids at the park, unlike most of these mums who sit there gassbagging, or staring at their phones the entire time.

|

8/12/2020 2:38 AM

geezabmx wrote:

Welcome back, old man!

Spongeworthy wrote:

That infuriates me. I took three months off to stay at home with my son when he was younger, and now doing the same with my ...more

It's a sad state of affairs. Hopefully leading by example will eventually break the assumptions/stigma around being an active, present dad in the modern era. Respect to all the bmx dads! 👊🏻

|

8/12/2020 4:15 AM

yarders91 wrote:

34 here. I still go to parks solo from time to time, but bring one or both of my kids too.

As to looking like a "nonce" (I assume a variation of creeper or pedo?) Just ride your bike.

When I ride solo I keep to myself for the most part-if they ask a question I answer it, but I won't be like "yo what's your insta/email/phone?" cause THAT to me is weird. Due to things a former neighbor was doing to others (she was 13 and lured adults over claiming she was legal for sex, then blasted them on social media if they showed up legit ruining the life of one guy) I will not go out of my way to ride with anyone who is under 18-and even then I prefer to try to ride with people I know.

It does suck to get up now-way slower to heal too. Plus having kids has me in the mindset of "I gotta make sure I can still take care of them" so I tend to not get too nutty when riding anymore.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/12/2020 4:21 AM

geezabmx wrote:

Welcome back, old man!

I would have walked up to her, stared for a second and been like "REALLY?" as I left.

Or do the same thing back-"You trying to traffic kids or what? You got your own? Hmm?" Just to be an ass back.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/12/2020 4:33 AM

geezabmx wrote:

Welcome back, old man!

Spongeworthy wrote:

That infuriates me. I took three months off to stay at home with my son when he was younger, and now doing the same with my ...more

100% agree.

I have gotten the "oh looks like Dad is babysitting" comment a few times. I politely respond with "Nope. I'm being a father." It always gets funny looks back, because people think that Dad's are not involved because their father's weren't, and their husbands aren't. Not my fault you had a shitty upbringing and shitty husband.

It's such BS that I cannot be out with my kids without people questioning me. I've played tag with them at parks and seen other Mothers call their kids over and legit LEAVE because of it.

Sucks even more to be scrutinized so hard by helicopter moms at skateparks when I am there solo too. Like I get that I am an older dude who looks like shit due to a lack of sleep, but skateparks aren't age specific, and I have been riding for like 21 years. I'm there for me, and only me. In some cases I have been riding longer than those moms have been out of kindergarten.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

8/12/2020 4:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/12/2020 5:12 AM

geezabmx wrote:

Welcome back, old man!

dave lawrence wrote:

I would have walked up to her, stared for a second and been like "REALLY?" as I left.

Or do the same thing back-"You trying ...more

Haha. Oh it definitely crossed my mind but I was so angry the best thing for everyone was to just keep shtum and write her off as a muppet.
Glad my wife wasn't with us. It would have royally kicked off. 🙄

|

8/12/2020 5:15 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

100% agree.

I have gotten the "oh looks like Dad is babysitting" comment a few times. I politely respond with "Nope. I'm ...more

It’s bullshit hey. Not going to stop me from taking my kids to the park/playground and actually being an active part of their lives.

|

8/12/2020 6:03 AM

yarders91 wrote:

Hahah, dude I had a kid ask me to ride my bike the other day (he handed me his longboard as collateral, so I caved) and he goes "how old are you?"

I answered.

He goes "oh...damn....I'm 12!"

My friends spend their Sundays spreading mulch, following their wife around the house doing chores.

I have plenty of time to be an old man, and actually went through a weird phase a couple years ago where I felt like giving up. But man sometimes it's promising that I can be this old and still get out there and hang with kids 1/3rd my age.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

8/12/2020 7:07 AM

Where are all you older guys in my scene haha. I’m 26 and constantly the oldest guy at skateparks. There’s a few skaters at my current local park that are around my age and a few bikers from like 20-24 in Rhode Island (I’m in eastern CT) but other than that it’s mostly kids! It’s just weird to me because growing up I’d be at the park when I was like 14 and all the bmxers were in their 20s and 30s and I was the super young guy with hardly any riders in my age group just like now!

|

8/12/2020 7:27 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/12/2020 7:32 AM

I wonder if that's worse over in your guys' countries. About the assumption of something hinky if you're at the skate park. Whenever I go to my local skatepark the majority of people there are teens and probably older than that dudes. And if there are young kids it's usually with their Dad who is riding or skating.

I guess I'm lucky. I've not once felt like someone was looking at me like I was strange. I sometimes ride by the baseball diamonds when there are games when I go to work on my tricks in the parking lot and no one gives me any weird eyes. But I'm not usually looking that hard either. I'm just doing my thing. People can go pack sand if they got a problem with it. Maybe it's just where I live but our neighborhood has all kinds of people out on bikes in the day. Young, old, inbetween. In shape, out of shape. Etc etc. Many nights I see two really old guys, one is on a bike and the other is on his... electric chair type thing and we always exchange very friendly hellos when we see each other.

And to the original poster. I'm so old I forget how old I am. I keep thinking I'm 49 but I'm only 48. I've been doing that lately. Since I turned 48 I keep thinking about being 49 and then I end up thinking I AM 49. Noooooo, I'm losing a year mentally. LOL. For sure I'm not getting any big air at the skate parks and the only reason I ever go to one, which is not often is cuz the one by me has really nice flat spot and the concrete is so smooth. I've rode up and down the ramps and such but it's just not my thing. I'm into tricks on flat ground.

As far as falling and getting hurt. It's gonna happen. And it probably takes longer to get over. But at 29? I doubt it. I mean you're bones aren't soft like a 8-10 year olds but I think at 29 your body is still like, going in a positive movement as far as the physical body. At some point it starts to decline. Maybe like 30-35? Who knows but staying active helps you stay young in the body and the mind.

I come from a family of somewhat eccentric people so these things never seem all that weird to me. My Great Grandpa was a character and did all kinds of weird stuff into his old age. So in our family it's kind of a normal thing that a lot of us adopted. He rode a motorcycle into his late 80's. He would strap a hair cutting kit to his bike and go around and cut his friends hair for 5cents. Stuff like that. My grandma his daughter wasn't much different. She was super into line dancing when she was in her 70's. They golfed until they couldn't no more. Etc.

We're mainly of Irish decent so maybe that's got something to do with it. You brits and Aussies might have too much english and german in you. Gotta do everything just so. LOL. No offense. Just keeping it light.

In general people just need to relax. LOL.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

8/12/2020 1:39 PM

34 and never stopped riding.

|

I believe in hub guard protection

8/12/2020 3:34 PM

I got back into bmx cruising cuz of covid downtime. But I was buying/modifying cheap bmx bodies. Then I gave 3 lil punk kids that are always walking around the neighborhood, staring, breaking a glass bottle twice, once made a comment about my wife and I had enough so I called him out and he was apologetic. It was all good, so I decided to offer up my extra bikes one day because they didn't have one, any of em. Turns out none of em have a father around. That's a recipe that can lead to bad things. I figured maybe I can make a shred of positivity. So now, literally, they cruise by smiling, they never smiled before. Now I have 2 other 14-15 y o kids that I was nominated to talk to them by their abuela about drugs, etc.. turns out those 2 their dad is not in the picture. I just gave the older one a bmx because he got a job at McDonald's and the younger one I told him that if he gets a job I will give him that white diamondback I threw on the bike check last night. The smile on those kids faces dude I swear that makes this all worth it.

|

8/12/2020 4:44 PM

45 about to turn 46 here. I got a second hand BMX during covid but had been thinking about it for a while. It’s great for chasing the kids around on their mountain bikes. My MTB is single speed and geared for going up hills not flat ground. The neighbourhood kids built a bunch of jumps in and around the overflow car park of a community church and they didn’t seem to mind.

Its been a great purchase. Even though I had a BMX when I was a kid I didn’t ever do more than get a few inches of air off a speed bump. So starting from scratch. But it’s a good workout even just to go down to a carpark and practice manuals and bunny hops. Plus it’s awesome to ride down for school pickups and to go to nearby suburbs.

Kids are a bit spoiled here and generally skip the BMX stage and go straight to a proper mountain bike once their big enough. Often get asked by little kids what kind of bike it is. Why it’s so small etc.

There’s a small skate park near my mums place that we’ve been to a few times. But zero parents there. And I’m by far the least creepy adult there, so I figure I’m doing a community service just by being there. But yeah, fun way to get healthier and if people laugh at you for being an adult on a kids bike then at least you’ve given them something to laugh about.

|

8/12/2020 4:47 PM

I also bought myself a new frame for my upcoming birthday. The one I got is a little small (20.25). All these weird packages keep showing up at my door. Forks, cranks, sprocket, grips, bearings... not sure what’s happening there wink

|