Ad990 pads.

Related:
Create New Tag

4/12/2018 3:03 PM

Yo so got some brake lugs moved on my t1 barcode so I can run brakes. Have put an ad990 on with pads that came with it but it’s “mid skool” so has male pads. Was told that I need some clear pads coz I have a black rim. Either way the pads I have on now are total dog shit! Any advice on what pads I should get coz can’t find any or am I just being a dumb arse!

|

4/12/2018 3:16 PM

Kool stop

|

Hmmm

4/12/2018 3:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/12/2018 3:41 PM

Odyssey Ghost's clear great for black/ ano'd rims.

Male pads specifically ? Then Clear kools like Edman suggested or odyssey slimx4's clears.

|

4/13/2018 4:21 AM

The problem with AD990 is they use cantilever post brake pads and choices for BMX are slim. Kool Stop makes the "Eagle 2" brake pads that'll work. Ghosts and Slimx4's will not.

|

4/13/2018 4:47 AM

^ This. Threaded stud pads won't work

You don't _need_ clear for a black rim. Smooth stud Salmon Koolstops will be fine, although I prefer the MTB shape to the Eagle 2 shape myself

|

4/13/2018 5:22 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/13/2018 5:22 AM

jawn wrote:

You don't _need_ clear for a black rim. Smooth stud Salmon Koolstops will be fine, ...more

You do if don't want your anodize to rub off. Clear pads.

|

4/13/2018 5:37 AM

jawn wrote:

You don't _need_ clear for a black rim. Smooth stud Salmon Koolstops will be fine, ...more

Cellmember wrote:

You do if don't want your anodize to rub off. Clear pads.

Over time the anodizing will wear off regardless of what colour your pads are.
I'd vote getting a newer brake, ad990's are a ball ache anyway. Get a hombre or find an original evo if you want to keep it mid

|

4/13/2018 5:48 AM

The longevity of ano has more to do with how clean you keep your pads and rim, and whether it is the more common deocorative ano or actual hard ano than whether the pad is clear or not

|

4/13/2018 2:41 PM

Well I just need a decent pad I think. I have the black pads that came with my 990s and they are pretty shit. I think the brakes are ok I mean they used to be great brakes everyone was riding them years ago but guess that was on a chrome rim. Don’t really wanna change as the lugs I got on only just got welded on.

|

4/13/2018 3:02 PM

punxneverdead wrote:

Well I just need a decent pad I think. I have the black pads that came with my 990s and they are pretty shit. I think the ...more

Lugs won’t matter.

|

4/13/2018 3:17 PM

Fair dos thought all the new brakes had smaller lugs. I have never until 3months ago riden brakes in about 15 years!

|

4/13/2018 4:53 PM

The pads are old. Run a file or sandpaper across the braking face to deglaze and get some fresh material. Give them a try. Its free and takes a few minutes.
Still not working. Order new pads.

|