Adrian Shreds / El Toro / Paul Robinson's Dig BMX "article"

Related:
Create New Tag

7/18/2018 2:26 PM

So, in case anyone hasn't heard/seen/read, Paul Robinson (employee at WTP) wrote an "article" (I'm using quotes because it reads more like a facebook or instagram stories rant) about how most kids this days think sending themselves down El Toro for a 45 second instagram clip is the new pathway to sponsorship.

If you haven't read it, here's a link

Words on a screen

I've heard several reactions about what's said in the article, and I have to say I disagree more with the content of the article and find myself siding with the people who say "STFU and ride"

Basically this comes down to a 16/17 year old kid @adrianshreds on instagram doing a straight double bar (or bar-catch-bar) down El Toro.

Now...of course that's fucking huge and deserves plenty of excitement. But for some reason people have taken that clip and distorted it into the death knell of actually putting work into a video part. I don't really understand all the hate/reactions to this.

I feel like a lot of it comes down to established pros who have for years had to beat the shit out of themselves to film a part, now watching young kids come up and not have to put that much effort in.

What I think some people in BMX (AND LIFE!) forget is that we all started at different places. Not everyone had a buddy who also rode at the same skill level, who also had the money to have a camera, who also had the time to ride, edit and film everything. There are plenty of kids that are stuck in bumfuck USA who can do every trick in the book and nobody bats an eye. A lot like the thread here the other day about Woodward, there are kids who wake up every day and dream about the ability to go to Woodward for even as little as a weekend.

Either way, I think the whole attitude of "Do things this way, the way the old timers have done it" is more of a danger to the BMX community than anything else. Things are fluid. Things change. To me, as long as you're on a bike for the right reasons (having fun, being cool to other riders, helping out riders who have less than you) I don't care what tricks you can do, or where you choose to show them.

Thoughts?

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

7/18/2018 2:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/18/2018 2:35 PM

That double bar thing though is because he backed it up a a triple bar afterwards! It was freaking insane! Not many people know aboit it so that's why people are making a big deal out of posting the double bar on Insta. It got leaked on YT. If I can find the link I'll post it....

Triple bar

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

7/18/2018 2:36 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

That double bar thing though is because he backed it up a a triple bar afterwards! It was freaking insane! Not many people ...more

Oh fuck you, Jake!

I had the volume on my work computer all the way up. laughing laughing

|

7/18/2018 2:37 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

That double bar thing though is because he backed it up a a triple bar afterwards! It was freaking insane! Not many people ...more

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Oh fuck you, Jake!

I had the volume on my work computer all the way up. laughing laughing

Hahahahahahahaha!laughing Got em'!laughing

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

7/18/2018 3:26 PM

It's almost as if they think every kid has a guy who can film/edit a whole video part.
If somebody wants to post Instagram clips then post Instagram clips.

|

Hmmm

7/18/2018 4:37 PM

people should spend more time worrying about their own person/self than worrying or caring about others...

|

7/18/2018 5:20 PM

The part that kills me is Lil Juice tailwhipped El Toro, put it on YouTube all by itself (basically like an Instagram clip) & nobody said a word about it.

Also, them making a huge deal about it has only made tricking El Toro for the gram a more popular thing to do.

Also also, he double barspinned it how long ago? & yet the same people constantly talking bad about it are the ones still keeping it alive by talking & posting about it. Lol

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

7/18/2018 6:25 PM

Can we all just ride our bikes? smile

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

7/18/2018 6:54 PM

back in my day if you could do a handrail you were pro

|

Lessons not learned in blood are soon forgotten

7/18/2018 9:34 PM

I mean, kids nowadays just want the instant gratification Instagram gives you. I get that sort of, I'm guilty of posting a lot of my good clips to Instagram right away because I'm pumped on them and want them to be seen. If I make an edit, not as many people will go view it. Instagram is an easier platform to view things on and they want their shit to be seen and I get that.

|

7/19/2018 6:45 AM

It sounds like most of us are in agreement. I'm more put off by the fact that like Tim said, people keep bringing it up.

This is a sport of outcasts in my opinion. Its what you make of it at every turn. To suddenly bring all these rules into the mix just dilutes what is pure about having fun on a bike.

This is kinda why I gravitate more towards people like Montana Ricky or Brant Moore. They just have pure love for being on a bike, and even if their riding isn't top level, they're truly enjoyable characters.

I think another thing a lot of these older guys don't understand or seem to forget is instagram didn't exist back then. Your only avenue was to work your ass of and actually film a part! Do they honestly think if they could go back to their younger selves and say "Dude you don't have to break yourself off for 3 years any more, post clips on instagram and make yourself heard" they wouldn't take advantage of that?

|

7/19/2018 7:35 AM

Dinosaurs crying that they don't starve instead of adapting and forging for food.

No one has time for a video part anymore. They are a novelty now. welcome to 2018 where everyone has a full video studio in their pocket all the time.

|

7/19/2018 8:17 AM

DIG has always been my favourite magazine. But this article was garbage and showed such a narrow minded view, why are they so arsed what a kid is doing on instagram, it's a different age, they would do exactly the same if they had grown up in this era.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

7/19/2018 3:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/19/2018 3:07 PM

Dude double bees El Toro and doesn't give a fuck about what anyone says . Guy has nollie bar 'd off a fucking building , like legitimately like 20-25ft drop .

It's even cooler that hes casual about it , you dont expect it which makes it more crazy

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short