Advice for someone who wants to start BMX alone!

Related:
Create New Tag

9/24/2019 10:25 AM

Hey,
Unsure how to write this well so sorry if my thoughts are a bit all over. Basically, I’m 24, female and want to start a new hobby and for some reason I’m leaning towards BMX. I used to live in Holland (originally from Scotland) and really miss riding my bike places. The area in which I live in the UK isn’t great for riding a bike on the street, but there is a fair few skate parks kicking around. I want to get into something new and push myself a bit but I’m a bit worried because I know absolutely nothing about it and no one I know well enough who is into it to ask for help. I’ve emailed a store and the biggest skate park here for advice, the park itself does individual lessons for £35 but I’m a bit worried I book and its a bunch of 7 years in the park then their is just this noob of a 24 year old.
So basically my question is how do I get comfortable enough when I am completely solo and completely new? My plan was to buy a bike to start of with and get comfortable with it by riding it beside the beach as it has a long strip you can ride peacefully on. Maybe I am thinking like this as I had a cruiser in Holland.
Sorry for the long words!
Thank you

|

9/24/2019 10:39 AM

Step 1. Get a bike and helmet.

Step 2. Ride your bike.

Step 3. Have fun!

Step 4. Progression comes with time.

Just ride it and enjoy yourself. You will meet people at the skatepark who can help you learn, but this is a hobby/sport where you learn by doing.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/24/2019 10:48 AM

Thanks Dave, I know that it is a hobby by doing but the skate park I'd learn in is full of kids, legit 8 year olds learning so try understand the fear of being a full blown adult in there!!

I guess I will buy the bike and use my method of doing stuff at the beach with it to get comfy!

Thanks for your reply!

|

9/24/2019 11:01 AM

Just get a bike and ride it until you’re comfortable on it. Learn hops and get comfortable dropping off kerbs and stuff.

Everyone starts somewhere. It might be more fun riding with 8 year olds than sweaty teens or other adults. I ride on my own pretty much all the time. I’m 38 and no where near as good as the kids at the local park. That’s one of the reasons I ride street on my own instead

|

9/24/2019 11:22 AM

Leave your comfort zone , it’s worth it

|

9/24/2019 11:37 AM

If you ride weekday mornings that when skateparks usually don’t have as many kids running around so if you want to ride by yourself and not feel intimidated I’d go weekday mornings as that is when the park is most empty

|

9/24/2019 12:29 PM

Eilidh_MacKinnon wrote:

Hey,
Unsure how to write this well so sorry if my thoughts are a bit all over. Basically, I’m 24, female and want to start a new hobby and for some reason I’m leaning towards BMX. I used to live in Holland (originally from Scotland) and really miss riding my bike places. The area in which I live in the UK isn’t great for riding a bike on the street, but there is a fair few skate parks kicking around. I want to get into something new and push myself a bit but I’m a bit worried because I know absolutely nothing about it and no one I know well enough who is into it to ask for help. I’ve emailed a store and the biggest skate park here for advice, the park itself does individual lessons for £35 but I’m a bit worried I book and its a bunch of 7 years in the park then their is just this noob of a 24 year old.
So basically my question is how do I get comfortable enough when I am completely solo and completely new? My plan was to buy a bike to start of with and get comfortable with it by riding it beside the beach as it has a long strip you can ride peacefully on. Maybe I am thinking like this as I had a cruiser in Holland.
Thank you

Watch a lot of youtube vids on how too... I've seen a lot of good ones I'm going to be using soon as I get my BMX bike...

I have a few Mountain Bikes now, they are just not the same.

|

9/24/2019 12:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/24/2019 1:02 PM

There's quite a few indoor parks in the UK that have girls only nights, this may ease any concerns you have and help you build some confidence in more familiar surroundings, or just dive in the deep end, no one is going to care as you are all there for the same reasons. Welcome and good luck.

|

Ride everything

9/24/2019 2:56 PM

Buy a bike, you won't regret it. Keep reaching out to shops and private skateparks, they'll be able to hook you up with cool local riders your age. As long as you are cool, others riders your age will take you under their wing. BMX is still a small community, and you are instantly family when you ride a 20".

Welcome!

|

9/24/2019 2:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/24/2019 2:58 PM

One good thing that definitely isn’t mandatory but a good idea would be to never really ride by yourself, especially when learning new things. Not in a sense that others will be there to ride with you, but more for safety, you never know when something can go wrong and someone will be there to maybe dial up for an emergency.

Sucks to think about, but this saved my buddy when he went down and was unable to phone an ambulance himself. Thankfully another random skater was there to help.

But I believe this is helpful no matter what skill or age range is in question.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @bmxereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

9/24/2019 5:01 PM

I second riding in the mornings to avoid crowds

I second looking for girls only nights or events - even if they're for skateboarding, ask about it, they might be cool. Skaters (mostly) don't bite. To continue with that, if you ride at the skatepark a lot, you can make acquaintances with skaters, scooter riders, bladers too, we're all in this together.

When you do end up riding alone, it's really worth it to be disciplined about padding up, and not going 100% all the time and leaving a little bit in the tank, it's always that one little warm-up, or muck around, or one last try, when you end up smashing something on a silly crash. It REALLY sucks trying to drive or ride yourself home when you've just injured yourself and in pain.

|

9/24/2019 10:13 PM

Ride street spots and go to a skatepark once you are familiar with basic obstacles like curbs, ledges, stairs, banks, etc.

I dont like skateparks very much because they can get crowded and they attract people that are too serious about what they are doing.

You will do fine either way though. Nobody is going to give you shit for tryimg to learn a cool sport.

|

9/24/2019 11:47 PM

There’s a couple on Instagram that ride bmx, from (or near) Livingston, she’s probably about your age. They might be cool to ride with

|

9/25/2019 5:27 AM

Eilidh_MacKinnon wrote:

Thanks Dave, I know that it is a hobby by doing but the skate park I'd learn in is full of kids, legit 8 year olds learning so try understand the fear of being a full blown adult in there!!

I guess I will buy the bike and use my method of doing stuff at the beach with it to get comfy!

Thanks for your reply!

Sure thing! And I know what being the "full blown adult being there" is like-I am 33. Now I sometimes take my oldest son.

If that is your concern, try going early in the morning when possible-most kids don't show up at skateparks til later in the day (locally it was always between 10-11 am).

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

9/25/2019 6:07 AM

Eilidh_MacKinnon wrote:

Hey,
Thank you

If you find yourself leaning towards something new, and you are having enough thoughts about it to ask advice on here..... Go for it! Get a bike, a helmet, some pads and take off. You have all the time in the world to learn, and can do it at your own pace. I wouldn't worry a bit about the younger crowd seeing you having fun, to me it shows them us grown-ups are still cool no matter our age. Enjoy yourself, you don't wanna look back in 20 years regretting that you never tried....... Have fun!!!!

|

9/25/2019 7:48 AM

I get that completely. But to reiterate what these guys have said; get a bike, get a helmet and get out there and enjoy yourself. You won't regret it.

I started riding again 2yrs ago at 39, feel out of place at parks so I ride street, no mates to ride with (wife and 6yo don't count (different kind of sessions completely)).

I ride at every opportunity - commuting and lunch breaks are my faves for fooling about trying new stuff I watched on YouTube tutorials at quiet spots I've found on my travels. (Nothing too crazy of course)
Progression is a lot slower than if I had mates to ride with but, meh. I like riding alone and really am just happy to be out on my bike.

|

9/25/2019 12:05 PM

Just sign up. I promise they will be happy to see a new, adult, female face. BMX riders are super friendly and will help you and encourage you. As long as you are having fun, you will be accepted.

|

None of it matters when you are actually riding the bike.

9/26/2019 6:16 AM

I think your plan is pretty solid; familiarise yourself with the bike first. Even if you don’t sign up for any lessons, going to the skatepark is absolutely worthwhile. BMX generally has a welcoming culture, so I’m sure someone would introduce themselves and be more than happy to help you with the basics. There’s also never been a better time to be a woman involved in BMX. If you’re looking for some inspiration, check out http://thebloombmx.com

|

10/3/2019 4:47 PM

Hey guys! Thank you all so much for the advice and comments! Sorey it's taken me a while to reply. I work nights and sometimes I can be a bit MIA.

So I bought a bike, built the bike and had my first lesson! It was incredibly intense haha so much i asked for it to be split into two sessions instead of one! It made me work muscles i didn't even know i had haha. But i had such fun doing it!!

And if anyone is interested here is my bike! It is to my understanding that the break cable is too short. I intense to get this fixed! 😊 thanks again everyone!

|

10/3/2019 5:57 PM

Eilidh_MacKinnon wrote:

Hey guys! Thank you all so much for the advice and comments! Sorey it's taken me a while to reply. I work nights and sometimes I can be a bit MIA.

So I bought a bike, built the bike and had my first lesson! It was incredibly intense haha so much i asked for it to be split into two sessions instead of one! It made me work muscles i didn't even know i had haha. But i had such fun doing it!!

And if anyone is interested here is my bike! It is to my understanding that the break cable is too short. I intense to get this fixed! 😊 thanks again everyone!

Wow... I dig it... I've always loved GT bikes.. I do like the older GT frame styles from like 86-90s better, but I like them all.... I used to have a Blue Pro Performer and a Pinkish colored Pro Freestyle Tour...

Either way, thats an awesome bike!!!

What tricks did you learn?

Did you get any video of you doing tricks???

Keep at it!!!!

|

10/3/2019 6:15 PM

Way to go, sharp looking ride!!

<°)))>{

|

10/3/2019 7:18 PM

Eilidh_MacKinnon wrote:

smullen wrote:

Wow... I dig it... I've always loved GT bikes.. I do like the older GT frame styles from like 86-90s better, but I like them all.... I used to have a Blue Pro Performer and a Pinkish colored Pro Freestyle Tour...

Either way, thats an awesome bike!!!

What tricks did you learn?

Did you get any video of you doing tricks???

Keep at it!!!!

Thanks man! sadly not, I done no tricks. What we done to begin with was the guy just getting me to do figures of 8's around the park going ever so slightly up the ramps. then he got me to go down a strip of ramps and turning, for whatever reason it really took it out of me!!

I think I need to get used to riding a bike and not sitting down, that seems a huge learning curve for me!

|

10/3/2019 7:50 PM

If you have the brake cable going from the lever to the right hand side of the frame it should be alright by the look of it. Getting it replaced will be about £20 for a decent cable and labour though so it’s not too bad.

Glad you enjoyed it, learning bike control is key to everything

|

10/3/2019 9:26 PM

Colors look on point! Best of luck on your BMX adventure.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @bmxereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

10/3/2019 10:39 PM

Nice!

|

10/4/2019 12:19 AM

My suggestions are:
1: follow people like @ellie_chew or @lara_lessmann on Instagram for inspiration . Seeing Ellie throwing front flips on the mega ramp might make that bunnyhop seem a lot more approachable
Link below:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BzC5BQ4nmUg/?igshid=f1g64yepqm92

2. I would also highly recommend you upgrade your tires and tube to be as light as practically possible. It will dramatically influence the overall control and manipulation of the bike.

3. Buy soft soled skate shoes for riding, like Vans, Emerica, or similar. I speculate not knowing about the correct shoes and light tires/wheels back 10 years ago when I started - slowed my progression by 2-3 years

|

10/4/2019 6:35 AM

T-Dawgg wrote:

My suggestions are:
1: follow people like @ellie_chew or @lara_lessmann on Instagram for inspiration . Seeing Ellie throwing front flips on the mega ramp might make that bunnyhop seem a lot more approachable
Link below:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BzC5BQ4nmUg/?igshid=f1g64yepqm92

2. I would also highly recommend you upgrade your tires and tube to be as light as practically possible. It will dramatically influence the overall control and manipulation of the bike.

3. Buy soft soled skate shoes for riding, like Vans, Emerica, or similar. I speculate not knowing about the correct shoes and light tires/wheels back 10 years ago when I started - slowed my progression by 2-3 years

Thats all my instagram is for, following Bike riders, Bike companies, Competition shooters, Gun Companies or Car Adio Companies. I don't think I have ever posted a pic or a message on mine...

|

10/6/2019 6:14 AM

Practice makes perfect. Learn to ride the ramps at the skatepark. Lots of good how to's on YouTube you can use to learn.

|

refs: millsaps, bmx4life121303, showtime402

10/6/2019 6:53 AM

ride flatland so you get used to riding alone lol

|

fack off

10/7/2019 11:54 AM

Eilidh_MacKinnon wrote:

Hey,
Thank you

Hey eilidh.
I am 43 and can understand how you feel. I’ve been riding since Xmas. I started cause my son who is 9 wanted to, so I thought I’m getting a bike too. My son is a gymnast and trains a lot so sometimes I go on my own. Now a 43 year old man in a skatepark talking to kids could seem weird, but the minute you put everyone on a Bmx it’s ok. You get a bike and a lid and just go you’ll settle in fine. Not sure what part of Uk your in, but I can tell you wherever it is just round the corner someone else will be there to help.

|