Advice on Tailwhips

Related:
Create New Tag

6/27/2017 1:05 AM

So i'm learning whips; problem is, i feel more comfortable doing them oppo (i'm right foot forward but want to spin the frame clockwise) this is because i used to scoot (grrr) and i whipped the deck that way, so i have the motion down with my wrists spinning the frame clockwise.

Question is, as oppo whips are way harder to land, would you advise that i learn to whip the other way? I've been told it'll be annoying for a week but i'll eventually re-learn the whip motion ...

I can get the frame around when doing oppo whips, just my legs are nowhere near to getting over the frame ... I haven't yet tried whipping the other way but will do so when i am next riding ...

So, oppo whips (regular to me) or 'normal' whips!? what would you do if you were in my shoes.

|

6/27/2017 1:36 AM

I have no interest in learning whips. But taj done them downside so they're good in my book. You need more time to get the bike round and get over it for downside whips though.
With regular whips, you use your feet to kick the bike round more, so it naturally stays underneath you easier. But downside whips are more to do with your arms, so you have to kind of push your bike down to get above it

|

6/27/2017 1:47 AM

If I was in your shoes I'd learn whips the way it felt normal. then I would learn them the other way.

seriously, it doesn't matter. MANY people do whips both directions. So can you.

|

6/27/2017 2:49 AM

pnj wrote:

If I was in your shoes I'd learn whips the way it felt normal. then I would learn them the other way.

seriously, it doesn't ...more

This is true, however, it's a known fact that oppo whips (regular to you or not) are much harder to land... but i guess we'll see how it goes.

Learning whips into foam; is that a no go? perhaps to get the feel of them ... i will try later at my local indoor park. (Y)

|

6/27/2017 10:36 AM

I'm in the same boat as you man! I'm right foot forward but I also spin the frame clockwise. They're doable, just a bit harder to learn because we don't have a back foot to kick the frame around with. I guess.

I saw this one clip on Instagram a while back of a pro (forget who) doing a goofy footed whip (like us) and he did it perfect and landed it. I DM'd him and asked him about learning them goofy footed, he said just stick with it and that it's possible.

So I plan on learning them goofy footed. Because if he can, then I can too (with enough practice haha).

|

6/27/2017 11:45 AM

My advice is to try to keep your knees together, and watch the catch foot pedal (in this case your back pedal). When you start learning, suck your feet up as you rotate it around.

I first landed it by keeping my legs together and treating it like a no foot can but adding arm motions-that way I could find the pedals really easily back then.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/27/2017 11:59 AM

Danny Hickerson is an awesome dude who could do everything both ways with feet in either position.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/27/2017 1:46 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I have no interest in learning whips. But taj done them downside so they're good in my book. You need more time to get the ...more

you actually need less time to get the bike around for down whips, it's less of a full whip since you're also turning the rest of yourself the opposite way. Downwhips for me are much easier than straight whips probably solely due to that.

OP, learn whatever's most comfortable. I whip the same way you do (right foot forward, whip clockwise) and I'm still not the best with them, mostly cause the way we have to catch is by getting our right foot forward over the frame first, while if we whipped normally we'd just have to worry about catching the pedal without stepping over the frame first. Plus there's no kicking involved, at least for me. I use all arms and swing it around. It's a lot harder but looks and feels badass when you land one.

So if I were you, I'd try them both ways but ultimately learn whichever you're getting closest to/more comfortable with. That's what I did

|

6/27/2017 4:39 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

you actually need less time to get the bike around for down whips, it's less of a full whip since you're also turning the rest ...more

That last statement is the biggest part. I tried kicking the same way you do but I am left foot forward, when I struggled I started kicking the other way, and ultimately came back to "normal" and started getting em. I can get oppo whips pretty close (over the frame in the past).

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura