Advice on buying BMX bike

Related:
Create New Tag

10/3/2018 2:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/3/2018 2:04 AM

I am 43 years old and I am a tall guy 1,95 m (6.4').

Just bought a bmx for my son and decided I also wanted to do some bmxing for fun.
I can't do any difficult tricks, maybe half a bunny hop, but I really like to be able to enjoy myself and progressively learn some tricks.

I set a budget for myself of 200 euros (230$) to buy myself a decent second hand.

I saw this really nice 20 inch PK ripper xlp which for that price of 200 euro looked quite good.

Would this be a good bike for me Photo

I would appreciate some feedback

|

10/3/2018 2:40 AM

Find a 22" if you can. I am just a couple inches shorter and I know it will be hard to find a complete you dont feel giant on ..unless you are going to ride flatland ..the ripper is fine but seems geared for racing..not saying you couldn't do tricks on it but racing bikes are most of the time focused around weight and not necessarily strength

|

10/3/2018 3:10 AM

NateBrown62 wrote:

Find a 22" if you can. I am just a couple inches shorter and I know it will be hard to find a complete you dont feel giant on ...more

Thanks for the good advice. Looked everywhere for a 22 inch but no luck. Would it be an option to have a stem extension to make it roomier, something like this?
Photo
My intention is just to have fun, I am not going to do any rails or serious halfpipe tricks. Just cruising, doing some jumps bunny hops and occasionally going to the skate park.

|

10/3/2018 3:16 AM

Best bet is just get a tall stem and tall bars..the extension will be weak

|

10/3/2018 4:00 AM

That's a road bike stem.

|

10/3/2018 4:43 AM

You're really going to struggle to find a bike in your budget, for your height. I don't recall any completes having more than a 21" toptube, and you'll want 21.5" at least (it doesn't sound like much difference, but it's definitely noticeable). The only frames that long are aftermarket, and even second hand they won't be cheap, and don't come up often. To be completely honest, you'll struggle to find just a frame for your budget.
But, if you could stretch the budget, you could get an aftermarket frame and build kit. Which would cost less than a custom, and have a higher resale value should you want to move it on.

|

10/3/2018 5:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/3/2018 5:15 AM

If you were planning on just riding/racing, with a couple small jumps here & there, the PK is capable, for sure. But, at your height it's gonna be small for you. Now, if you are looking to actually progress with street riding, etc.... you are going to want something chromoly (the PK is aluminum.. NOT suitable for street riding). At your height (and assumed weight), I'd look for a frame that's 100% crmo. Unfortunately, like Steve said, at your height, you should be looking at a 21.5" frame or larger. A taller stem/bars will only get you so far in the fitment department & those adjustable stems are NOT what you want. The tallest BMX bars are about 11" (last time I checked.) & a topload stem with a decent rise will get you as high as you can go. But finding a used bike in the size you need will take some doing.

|

10/3/2018 5:05 AM

My budget is pretty much limited. Still thinking on ways to of modifying the bike to make it work. I found this stem riser special for bmxs Photo

Which might work and by getting a laidback seat post I might just be able to ride comfortably.

|

10/3/2018 5:08 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

If you were planning on just riding/racing, with a couple small jumps here & there, the PK is capable, for sure. But, at ...more

Thank for your great advice.

|

10/3/2018 5:41 AM

Spanishdude wrote:

My budget is pretty much limited. Still thinking on ways to of modifying the bike to make it work. I found this stem riser ...more

That looks extremely weak

|

10/3/2018 5:52 AM

Spanishdude wrote:

My budget is pretty much limited. Still thinking on ways to of modifying the bike to make it work. I found this stem riser ...more

NateBrown62 wrote:

That looks extremely weak

Thanks. I guess I will have to be patient and look for a 22" frame....

|

10/3/2018 6:03 AM

Get 10" handlebars and a 35mm rise stem and you should be ok with a frame that is 21 or 21.25 top tube

|

10/3/2018 6:16 AM

Higher bars won't make the toptube longer. In fact, due to headtube angle, they'll give less room (then you'd have to Chicago the bars drastically to make up the difference). And a long stem will give room, but will have a massively negative affect on how the bike handles.
As the budget is strict, get a mongoose L100, then upgrade the frame in the future. I reckon that's the best option personally. You could find a used bike with better parts maybe, but the frame still won't fit. And you won't know what it's been through, if something is worn or broken, you'll be forced to spend more money just for it to be rideable.

|

10/3/2018 6:29 AM

Thanks Steve. I'll look for longer tube bike then since the Mongoose L100 is not available in my part of the world (The Netherlands)

|