Advice with bars

Related:
Create New Tag

3/5/2016 2:09 AM

So I mentioned in another thread that I wanted to switch my bar height around .. wanted a thread to improve my thoughts .

Right now , I'm running a frontload Premium stem , with 10" bars and a basically slammed stem.

I'm wanting the slightteessttt increase in bar height , as working retail as part of management and being on my feet all day stress my back severely . Most bikes with other 9" bars or higher and a topload have a taller end than me .

I'm looking at a Cult Salvation V2 topload or a Demolition Paradise stem , both aren't super crazy in height like a FIT but raise it decently .

I've been considering FIT Savage bars in 9.85 rise , or WTP bars in 9.5 rise WHILE using a topload. Would these combos have a slightly taller end then my Premium stem and 10" bars ? I don't want to go crazy , but I want a bit more . I'm thinking a Cult stem and Savage bars , but I think that'll end up being pretty tall . 10" bars and a topload seems crazy . Any help ?

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

3/5/2016 4:19 AM

I very much enjoy the extra room my topload+savage bars have gifted me..
10mm headset spacer +23mm Merritt stem+savage bars(9.85•25.4)=~283mm rise.
Feels tall but so am i at (6'1). Also, try flipping your stem to see if that is enough rise?
My buddy has 9.25+35mm stem and 10mm spacers and its pretty perfect.(~280mm rise)
Math is my best friend.
Eat at taco bell.

|

3/5/2016 6:00 AM

I think that it may be better to get a taller stem than a totally new set of bars. If I recall well, you were raving about how your BSDs were great when you got them. Why change bars? They are still good to go, and 10 inch bars just have that killer look that even a 9.5 can't beat.

Being tall, you might look into a longer stem too with just a bit more rise. Maybe adding a small spacer can help too...

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

3/5/2016 8:37 AM

Could you get away with adding a 5mm spacer under your stem? Or do you have anyone that would be willing to swap out parts so you can try a few combinations? Just a top load and keeping those bars might feel way too high. But if you're thinking of new bars anyway you could get the stem first and see how it feels? You could try a topload that doesn't have loads of raise, that way if it's too high you could flip it and it should still just about be a touch higher than the front load.
Or you could get some 9.5" bars and run your stem upside down to see how it compares.
Borrowing stuff would be the best bet, so you can play around with it rather than buying new stuff then realising you don't like it

|

3/5/2016 9:18 AM

You don't need taller bars.

Aren't you like 18 years old?

If you have a sore back with 10" bars, you need yoga, or to start going to the gym. I don't think taller bars will help.

+ yoga / gym babes

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

3/5/2016 9:52 AM

Ten inch bars that's massive , I would think if I where to go from 8.25 to 10 inch I would lose like 1.75 in hop height

|

3/5/2016 9:56 AM

transition_chris wrote:

You don't need taller bars.

Aren't you like 18 years old?

If you have a sore back with 10" bars, you need yoga, or to start going to the gym. I don't think taller bars will help.

+ yoga / gym babes

I don't know how tall he is and if getting a new bar will help him but I can get it, I'm on the tall side of riders at 6'1 and I ride a 8.9" bar, but with a 33 mm rise stem and 10 mm of spacers, so I imagine myself with a 10" and a slammed frontload... I would be too low for what I like, a proper sized frame is essential too, I'll never get back to anything under 21.5" but my current bar height would be way too high if I was still riding my 21", it's all about a proportions and make a nice balanced bike. (like I recently pushed my bar more forward, then lose my manuals but I liked the room, so I shortened the backend (from 13.75 to 13.5") then i get my manuals back because my bike was nice balanced again for my body, I know this is a bit off topic but whatever, I that can help)

|

3/5/2016 11:21 AM

10" bars , everyone goes nuts . They're lower height wise than most local riders . I know people who run 9.5 bars , topload , and a shadow grande headset cap , and no on bats an eye .

I could really care less about hop height , and yah the BSD bars are awesome . I just don't want them too high with a stem . I'll probably just order the stem first and ride it for a bit and then determine what bars to get ..I'm sure it'll be too high though .

|

My Cult 2 Short

3/5/2016 12:00 PM

Just remember my post. As comfortable as bigger bars felt for cruising around, they made everything feel a bit sketchy for me. and now I've flipped my stem upside-down everything feels more like how I feel it should.

As transition Chris said, taller bars won't help if your back hurts from your job

|

3/5/2016 1:48 PM

It just feels so much better for cruising around , spins and manuals , back as mentioned . My bike is pretty responsive and a higher end compliments that .

I have 3 pairs of 8.25 bars , I'm trying to sell 2 for a chance to get some bigger ones . I'll be getting a stem in a week or 2 depending when I order it . If I can sell some parts I might get a pair sooner or later . Maybe 9.5 ?

|

My Cult 2 Short

3/5/2016 2:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/5/2016 2:09 PM

cult v2 stem&9.5 bars would be perfection.. Thats about 273mm.. Your current frontload(7mm rise) and bars (254mm)together= ~261mm.. New bars/stem combo will be roughly 1/2 inch taller!!! Also thats not inluding any spacers which wouldnt change height?? Yay math. :D
Quesalupa soooo cheesy

|

3/5/2016 3:57 PM

Get some four peices. FUBARS come in 10

|

I am a monkey.

3/6/2016 1:47 AM

Can anyone tell me why WTP Sterling bars in 9.5 weight 1.87 lbs and S&M FUbars weight 2.7 lbs at 10" tall ? Surely that extra .5" doesn't add that much . But both are straight gauge tubing , makes me wonder .

I'd get something with 4 degrees upsweep and try that , for my wrists .

|

My Cult 2 Short

3/6/2016 10:00 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Can anyone tell me why WTP Sterling bars in 9.5 weight 1.87 lbs and S&M FUbars weight 2.7 lbs at 10" tall ? Surely that extra .5" doesn't add that much . But both are straight gauge tubing , makes me wonder .

I'd get something with 4 degrees upsweep and try that , for my wrists .

Thicker gauge tubing and more tubing overall. Also the extra weight is punishment from the bmx gods for running giant bars

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

3/6/2016 1:58 PM

Maybe get some 10" Cult Cuatro bars. Please do not get bars like the Bonedeth Deadman bars, if you ask me those are the ugliest looking bars in the world.

|

I am a monkey.