Affix Rotors

Related:
Create New Tag

4/6/2018 7:24 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/6/2018 7:26 AM

I've been looking on KHE's site for the past couple of months and have seen these.
I'm not talking about the bike, Look at the head tube! This doesn't look like the F-SET rotor of midschool, this looks like a head tube version of the ACS Rotor.
Anyone know anything about this? They sell 4130 head tubes with the slot pre cut but I wouldn't want to chop my frame up without knowing absolutely that this would increase braking power (not gonna do it anyways, but still)
I wouldn't use it anyways though because it takes up the space you'd need for a front brake, not to mention that you'd need the specialized fork.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

4/6/2018 7:41 AM

This sort of post shows up periodically. Some others will probably chime in on it but it's a design that's been around a while. I'm not saying you can't but I would say I wouldn't recommend trying to add this sort of system to your bike. From what I recall, it didn't really provide anything better than a gyro setup & never really gained any traction.

|

4/6/2018 7:43 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

This sort of post shows up periodically. Some others will probably chime in on it but it's a design that's been around a ...more

That's what I figured, I wouldn't do it anyways because then I can't run a front brake through my forks anymore.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

-jbales on mafiaBIKES

-adamnmexican

4/6/2018 7:44 AM

Mike laird has built a frame with that cut out. But I've never really liked em. Over here you can't get spares easily at all. And I'm not a fan of having a hole in my headtube and steerer tube. I really can't see how it would offer better braking than a normal gyro either.

|

4/6/2018 8:39 AM

yuck

|

It’s all bmx

4/6/2018 8:47 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Mike laird has built a frame with that cut out. But I've never really liked em. Over here you can't get spares easily at all. ...more

The basic idea behind it is that with less cables you keep mechanical advantage and brake better. However the loss of mechanical advantage would probably be so small you wouldn't even notice.

|

-Sheldon on Adam22

-jbales on mafiaBIKES

-adamnmexican

4/6/2018 9:38 AM

I believe it was also intended to be lighter and help with a "cleaner look".

I'll pass.

Interesting idea, but from what I recall it was a bushing setup in the HT that moved when the cable pulled. Could add some friction in your braking, and barspinning potentially.

I AM surprised that internal cable routing is not a thing in our frames though.

Cleaner look, could allow for a better cable line and even less crap in your cables. Road and MTB handle it well. It would be a challenge to set up/design potentially, but an affix with a cable that goes internally down the down tube or top tube and comes out a few inches before the seat tube for the brake.

Hmmm...

I also know that back in the day Seth Peterson (rode for Sunday for a bit) wanted to rig up a grip shifter without the indexing as a throttle style brake. It would work, but I would be curious if it would be well enough to justify.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/6/2018 10:46 AM

Lol, years back I made a thread about the system. Wanted it before, but the novelty has well worn off. I’ll keep my gyro.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

4/6/2018 11:50 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

I'll pass.

Interesting idea, but from what I ...more

Actually, to touch on internal routing, I DID do this with a frame once, I had to drill a considerable size hole to do it and I was kinda scared to use it because I had to drill the hole in the top tube and was worried about structural integrity.

|

-Sheldon on Adam22

-jbales on mafiaBIKES

-adamnmexican

4/6/2018 11:51 AM

readybmxer wrote:

Lol, years back I made a thread about the system. Wanted it before, but the novelty has well worn off. I’ll keep my gyro.

Yeah, KHE always makes those kind of things that seem cool but are just a novelty. I had a goldfinger and the F-SET is nothing to rave about. I replaced that shit with a gyro in no time. I miss that goldfinger, but I liked my detour more.

|

-Sheldon on Adam22

-jbales on mafiaBIKES

-adamnmexican

4/6/2018 11:56 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

I'll pass.

Interesting idea, but from what I ...more

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

4/6/2018 1:02 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Mike laird has built a frame with that cut out. But I've never really liked em. Over here you can't get spares easily at all. ...more

HavokDJ wrote:

The basic idea behind it is that with less cables you keep mechanical advantage and brake better. However the loss of ...more

Yeah, but it's still a cable, pulling another cable. Via a weird plate inside your forks. So there's still deflection, causing sponge and a bit of a jank feeling. It's just not my cup of tea.

|

4/6/2018 3:34 PM

I think it would be cool to have one but I wouldnt go as far as choosing a frame based on the system alone.

|

4/6/2018 4:59 PM

While its not my favorite, good on them for taking a chance.

|

4/6/2018 5:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/6/2018 6:02 PM

I've been running one for some time now, if you have any questions hit me up.

You can add this to any frame, replacing the headtube is not necessary, modifying the existing one is very easy, but the ID of the headtube has to be 36mm no smaller, you could get away with 35 but you'll need to remove a small amount of material on the OD of the collars, if it's smaller than that don't bother.

|

4/6/2018 6:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/6/2018 6:27 PM

KHE trying to fix what ain't broke. I remember those huge head tubes from the early 00's they put on every bike, obviously not knowing that "gyros are gay" was the mentality of the the average BMX kid. I know what they really mean't was "I can't get this thing to work, so it's gay". Same as today, but kids are even less mechanically minded, now. Most can't even make a straight cable work. Therefore, "brakes are gay".

|