Age 35, 6'3, 180lbs...looking for a cheap beginner freestyle BMX

Related:
Create New Tag

6/29/2014 8:12 PM

I used to ride as a kid, nothing fancy...So about a month ago, I got the bug and wanted to ride again. I used to do not much more than bunny hops and jump curbs as a kid, but I wanted something I could do some light tricks on and maybe ride to work in the morning. So I went into the bike shop and hopped on a 20". I felt like a monster. My knees hit my elbows and I looked ridiculous. My girl laughed at me after seeing me sit on it and the store clerk said that they had a 2013 Big Ripper that was up my alley. It was comfortable, so I got that. And I do like it!

In the last 3 weeks I've rode about 40-50 miles on it. I really dig it a lot, but when I had a day off from work the other day, I decided to take it to the local park, which was totally empty. I just rode up and down the ramps, nothing fancy, and found my 29er a bit difficult to navigate the park with. I love it for cruising the city with, however.

My buddy is getting into BMX as well, and is ordering a Sunday C. I would like a small BMX to just ride around with him on our Friday nights, maybe hit the park without feeling like a giant, and learn some of my first tricks on. Nothing too fancy or expensive - keep in mind I just dropped $500 on the Ripper.

I was looking around and a lot of places suggest a 21”TT if I’m going to ride a 20”. Like I said, I plan on riding the 20 maybe 10-15% of the time and the Ripper the rest of the time. And I really am not looking on spending anything over $300. The 2013 Kink Gap XL looks like it’s right up my alley. Thoughts?

|

6/29/2014 8:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/29/2014 8:24 PM

can't go wrong with kink completes. However, I'd suggest saving up a little more and getting a mid to higher end complete. As all the low end completes frames are usually made of Hi-tensil instead of chromoly and also sealed bracket is a plus, you. 400-500 dollars would be better.

But if you don't think you'd be riding it all that hard then im sure the kink gap XL would be fine.

|

ı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨

6/29/2014 8:26 PM

Chrisaustin wrote:

can't go wrong with kink completes. However, I'd suggest saving up a little more and getting a mid to higher end complete. As ...more

Yeah, I wouldn't be doing more than jumps and some flatland tricks. Maybe a 4-5 foot drop that I have near me or some rail riding but I'm thinking noob stuff all the way since I'm just re-learning.

|

6/29/2014 8:28 PM

Eazy123 wrote:

Yeah, I wouldn't be doing more than jumps and some flatland tricks. Maybe a 4-5 foot drop that I have near me or some rail ...more

Yeah, then you'll be fine for now. good for a start up in BMX

|

ı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨

6/29/2014 8:46 PM

Thank you!

|

6/29/2014 9:55 PM

Like Easy said... get a full chromoly bike. 21" top tube or longer. (21.125" might be real nice) Preferably with double wall rims if you can and you're in a decent place to start.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

6/30/2014 6:03 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/30/2014 6:06 AM

As I stated in the other forum where you posted....

Def 21" at the minimum. Also, seatstay and chainstay length can vary which puts my 21" Haro about 3" longer overall than my 20.8" WTP. The 20.8'" WTP feel tiny under me. Much better for rider under 6' tall fo sho.

I would not worry about Chromoly. I think far too many riders get too hung up on CroMo? As if they have broken tons of Hi-Ten frames before... Most guys are not that good, or shall I say bad?..lol Chromoly is stronger, but not by leaps and bounds, especially if the frame is meant to be lighter which means thinner walls. Thinner wall CroMo is going to be just as strong as Hi-Ten. So if that were the case, other than weight there would be no benefit. So for a beginner/weekend warrior, Hi-Ten is fine. Most bikes come with top tube and or tri-tube CroMo design anyway.

I would recommend getting a bike with dual wall rims. Single wall might not hold up, especially since your not that good and will be landing crooked pretty much every time.

|

6/30/2014 7:12 AM

Thanks fellas. And thanks again, dirtydog! Just starting out, I wasn't sure which forums are still the most active or where to ask so I posted on two different sites smile

I figure I'll go stock, and if I happen to work it to the point where I bust the rims I can always get dual wall ones smile

|