Age Talk

Related:
Create New Tag

6/28/2020 6:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/28/2020 6:36 PM

i originally wanted to create this to see what people thought about the age of their riding friends, because i'm pretty much the only rider my age (15) who actually rides bmx, everyone else who does either barely actually rides when they come out (doing drugs, or spending more time on stuff like girls etc.), or they have other things to do (games, parties and whatnot) , so they barely ever come out. the people who actually ride are about 8 or so years older than me, and i don't really care because we all ride and have fun anyways but i was wondering if there is any age gaps in the people you guys ride with and if you have any 'problems' or opinions with stuff like this.

also, what's your guys' opinions on the 'young' bmx scene, im sure a few of you will have seen that ten year old doing a tires bar (which was crazy), but what's your thoughts on people my ages riding because i never see kids my age at a similar skill level to me, they're either quite fresh into riding or park riders so im always kinda by myself when im at parks that arent local to me, as i ride street and am 15.

|

6/28/2020 8:27 PM

ayyyee im 15 as well lol, im about to turn 16 soon. Not very good and just sold my bike for cash to get a new one. But it's nice to see someone else my ae riding lol.

|

Speed, I am speed... -Lightning McQueen
Fuck money get bitches... I think?

6/29/2020 1:15 AM

If you can’t go with me to the bar we ain’t riding kid. You’ll understand when you’re older.

|

fack off

6/29/2020 4:34 AM

I'm 34 and I ride solo or with my kids, so the age gap there is about 28 years. I used to ride with a bunch of dudes around my age (back in my 20's), but most of them moved away, don't ride anymore, or we just never hang out. Out of the crew of about 10 or so, maybe two or three of us still ride more than a few times per year.

Sounds super weird to say given BMX as a whole, BUT:

I am at a point where if I am out with people over 18 I am good, but will NOT make plans to ride with someone under 18 unless I am friends with their family in some way, or they are family. If they tag along with someone else that is out of my control.

If I am out at a park and a bunch of younger kids are riding, it doesn't bother me but I won't go out of my way to hang out or anything. I will not message/text/whatever anyone younger either.

I had a 13 year old neighbor back in the day who lied about her age, lured ADULTS to her home for "ADULT ACTIVITIES" with her and her friend, and IF they showed up, she went live on social media, shouting their name, their age and that she was 13 to try to ruin peoples lives. That kid was so messed up and her parents believed EVERYTHING she said as truth. Another story with that kid which caused me to be cautious was when we ran into her at a Halloween event for kids at a park, her phone was dead and she was borrowing a cops phone to call her mom for a ride. She said she was 100% ok and did not need any help from us. When she got home (WALKED the several miles) her mom LOST IT. She lied and said we refused to give her a ride, and rather than talk to us her parents started vaguely bashing us on facebook. When we asked about it the mom finally told us and got our side of the scenario. We decided at that moment to be done 100% with those lunatics.

Maybe I am being paranoid about the whole thing, but I would rather not be the weird old dude messaging a 15 year old kid to go to the skatepark or ride around town.

Plus, riding solo is very peaceful. I do what I want, when I want, and if I am sick of a spot, I move on when I want, not when a bunch of other people want to.

As to the skills question, kids start at different ages, ride differently, and some are just really good/try hard all the time. BMX is a sport with a wide variety of ages, skills and even preferred terrains. There are SO many options. It's awesome to see that kind of riding at any age.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/29/2020 5:27 AM

I think mid to late teens is a common age for hobbies to be neglected once the other interests emerge. Don’t worry. They’ll be back in 20-30 years.

|

6/29/2020 5:29 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/29/2020 5:39 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

I'm 34 and I ride solo or with my kids, so the age gap there is about 28 years. I used to ride with a bunch of dudes around my age (back in my 20's), but most of them moved away, don't ride anymore, or we just never hang out. Out of the crew of about 10 or so, maybe two or three of us still ride more than a few times per year.

I am at a point where if I am out with people over 18 I am good, but will NOT make plans to ride with someone under 18 unless I am friends with their family in some way, or they are family. If they tag along with someone else that is out of my control.

If I am out at a park and a bunch of younger kids are riding, it doesn't bother me but I won't go out of my way to hang out or anything. I will not message/text/whatever anyone younger either.

I had a 13 year old neighbor back in the day who lied about her age, lured ADULTS to her home for "ADULT ACTIVITIES" with her and her friend, and IF they showed up, she went live on social media, shouting their name, their age and that she was 13 to try to ruin peoples lives. That kid was so messed up and her parents believed EVERYTHING she said as truth. Another story with that kid which caused me to be cautious was when we ran into her at a Halloween event for kids at a park, her phone was dead and she was borrowing a cops phone to call her mom for a ride. She said she was 100% ok and did not need any help from us. When she got home (WALKED the several miles) her mom LOST IT. She lied and said we refused to give her a ride, and rather than talk to us her parents started vaguely bashing us on facebook. When we asked about it the mom finally told us and got our side of the scenario. We decided at that moment to be done 100% with those lunatics.

Maybe I am being paranoid about the whole thing, but I would rather not be the weird old dude messaging a 15 year old kid to go to the skatepark or ride around town.

Plus, riding solo is very peaceful. I do what I want, when I want, and if I am sick of a spot, I move on when I want, not when a bunch of other people want to.

As to the skills question, kids start at different ages, ride differently, and some are just really good/try hard all the time. BMX is a sport with a wide variety of ages, skills and even preferred terrains. There are SO many options. It's awesome to see that kind of riding at any age.

I grew up riding with some older guys and then became one of them older guys riding with a bunch of younger people, i love inspiring the youth and getting more people into riding

Sucks you had to experience something like that man, you shouldn’t have to feel paranoid about messaging a 15 year old about bmx related stuff

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

6/29/2020 5:41 AM

Riding Solo is the best!

|

6/29/2020 6:39 AM

I'm 52 and ride solo 99.9% of the time. Not on purpose, but out of necessity. I WISH I had the riding crew I grew up with.

|

6/29/2020 11:38 AM

I’m 26, I have three dudes who are 23-24 who ride regularly with me and my girl who’s 25, but I’m not from where I live because of military so I haven’t really made friends here with any dudes at my level. the guys who ride with me are work buddies who I got into BMX so it’s fun watching them progress but I’m basically stuck on a plateau with nobody to play bike with! Haha. My last duty station I had a huge crew of locals to ride with, I was there from when I was 19 till I was 22, they were anywhere from 18-30 and that was awesome, not weird at all. I miss having friends who ride as much as me!

|

6/29/2020 3:06 PM

Fried_Eggs wrote:

ayyyee im 15 as well lol, im about to turn 16 soon. Not very good and just sold my bike for cash to get a new one. But it's nice to see someone else my ae riding lol.

cool to see you're riding too man!

|

6/29/2020 3:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/29/2020 3:14 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

damn, that stories messed up, and i can understand why you choose not to ride with anyone rather young, i have no one with a major age difference that i could ride with so i don't really mind but everyone is different. and about skills, it doesnt really matter because as long as we're enjoying riding that is what matters but it would always be nice to see someone similar in skill to me.

|

6/29/2020 3:08 PM

Dr Sarcophagus wrote:

I think mid to late teens is a common age for hobbies to be neglected once the other interests emerge. Don’t worry. They’ll be back in 20-30 years.

i find that for me, bmx is all i have since i have nothing else that interests me, of course life always changes and as i grow up jobs and what not will most likely affect my riding but i couldn't think of a reason to stop riding altogether.

|

6/29/2020 3:09 PM

baglagrupie wrote:

Riding Solo is the best!

i'm kinda used to it myself, i dont ride solo all the time but i do quite often and it can be very enjoyable.

|

6/29/2020 3:10 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

If you can’t go with me to the bar we ain’t riding kid. You’ll understand when you’re older.

each to their own, and i know i'm young and still have lots to learn about riding and life itself.

|

6/29/2020 3:12 PM

jboozer4 wrote:

I’m 26, I have three dudes who are 23-24 who ride regularly with me and my girl who’s 25, but I’m not from where I live because of military so I haven’t really made friends here with any dudes at my level. the guys who ride with me are work buddies who I got into BMX so it’s fun watching them progress but I’m basically stuck on a plateau with nobody to play bike with! Haha. My last duty station I had a huge crew of locals to ride with, I was there from when I was 19 till I was 22, they were anywhere from 18-30 and that was awesome, not weird at all. I miss having friends who ride as much as me!

i find games of bike to be a problem too, the people i could play with are either better than me or not so i never have the chance to play a fair game. i dont mind about age at all much, because riding is riding and we're all having fun which is what matters.

|

6/29/2020 3:21 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I don't blame you man, after going through that shit I'd be the same.

|

6/29/2020 6:08 PM

Being 17 it sucks if your in a small community because most of my friends my age start dropping bmx and are super lazy.. around a year ago i was slightly better than my friends, but now I'm just on another level. That's just because they dont take it as seriously as I do and ride as much. Luckily, my sister's boyfriend, around mid 20s, is a complete fanatic in BMX and we're always competing 24/7 as we have a pretty similar skill level.. when we're riding that age gap feels nonexistent

|

sponsor me

6/29/2020 6:28 PM

SlavBMX wrote:

Being 17 it sucks if your in a small community because most of my friends my age start dropping bmx and are super lazy.. around a year ago i was slightly better than my friends, but now I'm just on another level. That's just because they dont take it as seriously as I do and ride as much. Luckily, my sister's boyfriend, around mid 20s, is a complete fanatic in BMX and we're always competing 24/7 as we have a pretty similar skill level.. when we're riding that age gap feels nonexistent

yeah theres a guy who rides local to me and he's about 21 or 22 i believe and we are at similar levels of riding and to me that gap doesnt really exist when we're in 'the riding zone' haha. but yeah it does suck when your friends stop riding as much, as for me most of the people that use to come out most days last summer have dropped actual riding this summer. and because i take riding seriously i am quite ahead of them progression wise too.

|

6/29/2020 10:06 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I'm over 18 Dave and you never wanna ride with me.

|

6/30/2020 12:15 AM

I've been riding solo most of my time in BMX. Living on an island where there's barely any BMX influence means single sessions. I'm 20 now. When I was 15, there was a small group of us, then it died down entirely.

Actually, just this past week, an old friend the same age as well as another just a bit older, unsure exactly how old but definitely in our age range, started riding again.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

6/30/2020 1:21 AM

I only ride with people my age. Not because I don't want to ride with anyone younger, but in between runs at the track or at the trails, we converse like adults. Talk about life, past experiences, work, the future etc.

There was a nice kid that showed up recently and all he wanted to do was ask us what parts we had on our bikes. We've all been there but it comes to a point in life where gloating doesn't do shit.

If that doesn't make sense, its because I'm still half asleep.

|

6/30/2020 5:41 AM

readybmxer wrote:

I've been riding solo most of my time in BMX. Living on an island where there's barely any BMX influence means single sessions. I'm 20 now. When I was 15, there was a small group of us, then it died down entirely.

Actually, just this past week, an old friend the same age as well as another just a bit older, unsure exactly how old but definitely in our age range, started riding again.

always cool to see someone return to riding

|

6/30/2020 5:42 AM

Brimson wrote:

I only ride with people my age. Not because I don't want to ride with anyone younger, but in between runs at the track or at the trails, we converse like adults. Talk about life, past experiences, work, the future etc.

There was a nice kid that showed up recently and all he wanted to do was ask us what parts we had on our bikes. We've all been there but it comes to a point in life where gloating doesn't do shit.

If that doesn't make sense, its because I'm still half asleep.

i get that man, i used to talk to the people my age about what we all planned to do as we grew up when they used to ride

|

6/30/2020 5:46 AM

Michael Cranston wrote:

damn, that stories messed up, and i can understand why you choose not to ride with anyone rather young, i have no one with a major age difference that i could ride with so i don't really mind but everyone is different. and about skills, it doesnt really matter because as long as we're enjoying riding that is what matters but it would always be nice to see someone similar in skill to me.

It's not that I won't ride with someone younger, I just won't go out of my way to make plans etc.

If someone is out riding and they choose to tag along where I ride, that is their call, not mine. I'm not gonna be like "get away from me" or anything.

But I won't specifically send messages etc like "Yo wanna pedal around?" to a kid-especially if I don't know their parents/family/have been around them. I would toss up "going to _____ spot/park today if anyone wants to ride" on a public spot though.

I used to not worry about that, but I have seen too many things where kids make shit up and don't care if they destroy someone's life on a whim, and I don't want that kind of thing to happen to me.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/30/2020 6:35 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Michael Cranston wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

It's not that I won't ride with someone younger, I just won't go out of my way to make plans etc.

If someone is out riding and they choose to tag along where I ride, that is their call, not mine. I'm not gonna be like "get away from me" or anything.

But I won't specifically send messages etc like "Yo wanna pedal around?" to a kid-especially if I don't know their parents/family/have been around them. I would toss up "going to _____ spot/park today if anyone wants to ride" on a public spot though.

I used to not worry about that, but I have seen too many things where kids make shit up and don't care if they destroy someone's life on a whim, and I don't want that kind of thing to happen to me.

Some valuable life lessons here.

|

6/30/2020 6:46 AM

biggest thing i see with the young guys is that they are getting outta bed about the same time i'm getting home from riding. I'm 42 and i hate crowed skateparks. love to ride with them but, doesn't work out.

|

6/30/2020 6:51 AM

jmz313 wrote:

biggest thing i see with the young guys is that they are getting outta bed about the same time i'm getting home from riding. I'm 42 and i hate crowed skateparks. love to ride with them but, doesn't work out.

especially with no school at the moment due to the way the world is, im waking up at about 11 or 12 at the earliest haha, but usually later.

|

6/30/2020 6:57 AM

jmz313 wrote:

Yes! I love hitting a park at like 7AM and NO ONE is there. SO GOOD.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/30/2020 7:02 AM

baglagrupie wrote:

Riding Solo is the best!

Go to hell.

|