Aggressive bicycle

Related:
Create New Tag

7/20/2016 9:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/20/2016 9:57 AM

I am wanting to buy a 2.25/2.3 tire for the front and 2.1/2.2 for the rear so i can slam my wheel (i have my wheel right at the end of my dropouts at the moment)
Im also wanting to get a short topload stem, i looked at the sunday freeze stem in polished but i have chrome bars and im wanting it to match. My stem reach is about 48-50mm reach (i tried to measure it haha) but it looks a lot longer and its a flipped front loader if that makes any difference. I'm wanting a shorter stem and slammed wheel to make my bike spin easier and feel more aggressive. Any other way i can make my bike feel better for street/techy stuff without buying forks/frame/cranks? And any advice on what stem reach i should get? Keep in mind i am 6'1. Cheers smile

|

7/20/2016 10:00 AM

Taller bars are for sure one to make your bike feel more responsive id say shorter cranks too but if youre already at 170 i dont see a point in spending that much for a 5 mm difference ( cuz thunderbolts come in 165 now if you were lookin at those) besides that not much can be done

|

7/20/2016 10:23 AM

You won't get a shorter reach than that unless you get a flatland stem. You could angle your bars forward a touch?
Don't forget, making a bike more responsive will also make it less stable. What chainstay length have you got? At your height, any less than 13" and I can't imagine it feeling particularly nice

|

7/20/2016 10:55 AM

There's a LOT of tire options these days.. I love fit fafs or fly rubens in the streets. I'm 6'1 too and the Sunday freeze is my favorite top load after the s/m challenger. Classic stylish design and big solid bolts and made by sunday? Yesss

|

7/20/2016 11:26 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

You won't get a shorter reach than that unless you get a flatland stem. You could angle your bars forward a touch?
Don't ...more

The chainstay is 13.66 (unsure if its slammed or not, it's just what it says on the website) 74.5 degrees headtube angle and 21 inch tt but im not sure about the bb height and such. I got 9 inch bars as well.
There is a total bmx stem that is 46mm reach on special, comes in 50mm as well. both the totalbmx and sunday are both polished not chrome though.

|

7/20/2016 11:28 AM

joshcooldude wrote:

Taller bars are for sure one to make your bike feel more responsive id say shorter cranks too but if youre already at 170 i ...more

I got 9 inch bars at the moment but dont have the $$$ for cranks, they are 175mm. Thanks for the help.

|

7/20/2016 11:35 AM

chiefndaily wrote:

There's a LOT of tire options these days.. I love fit fafs or fly rubens in the streets. I'm 6'1 too and the Sunday freeze is ...more

What color Sunday stem do you have? It does look sick. I was looking at the eclat control/escape tires since they are on special at the moment but I can't find any reviews and I have no idea how thick the side walls are. I need them thick for grinding dodgy spots where I live haha.

|

7/20/2016 12:26 PM

You can't get chrome stems. The chrome would flake off really easily. However, chrome bars and polished stem looks horrible imo, too much shinyness in a concentrated area. But that's just my opinion.

If you want a really nimble bike, I'd suggest a new frame. That'd be the easiest way without getting weird parts/having a weird set up. The fbm hardway would suit what you're after perfectly. The new one has 13" chainstays when slammed, massive tyre clearance, 11.88" high bb and a 75.5 ha.
I'm 6' and have the previous hardway with 13.2" cs (I don't have it slammed though) with a 21" tt. I have 9" u.s apes with a fly central stem and it feels perfect for nibbley street. Very nimble but not over the top. With a topload stem it would flick about all over the place

|

7/20/2016 3:40 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

You can't get chrome stems. The chrome would flake off really easily. However, chrome bars and polished stem looks horrible ...more

This. Hearing you have a 13.66 (slammed??) chainstay and a 74.5 headtube and probably a really low BB sounds super relaxed if anything and putting all these parts just to end up back where youre at with only a bit of difference is a waste. Save up for a frame (75.5 or 75 honestly) and maybe some shorter offset forks if they arent already if you really want a difference

|

7/20/2016 7:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/20/2016 7:02 PM

From riding experience riding both big and small tires and everywhere in between I'd say smal 1.95 tires are a hell of allot more aggressive then big tires , so much more speed and less cushion , they make big tires just feel slow and sluggish

|

7/20/2016 10:51 PM

eskimojay wrote:

From riding experience riding both big and small tires and everywhere in between I'd say smal 1.95 tires are a hell of allot ...more

I agree, it seems to be the fashion now to get a really nimble bike, then chuck wide tyres on it to make it less nimble. It's like standing on a box to crouch really haha

|

7/21/2016 2:19 AM

mrbmxerforlife112 wrote:

What color Sunday stem do you have? It does look sick. I was looking at the eclat control/escape tires since they are on ...more

I've owned white, raw, and polished, all of which were over a year old when hand me downed to the next friend in line.. I've never run eclat tires personally, I'd say give em a go!! The best street tires are animal glh if you need a real manly street tire. Never heard a bad review ever.

|

7/21/2016 4:51 AM

Profile makes 36mm stems.

|

It’s all bmx