Aitken Fit S4 Brake Mount Issues

Related:
Create New Tag

11/15/2017 2:55 PM

Hello,

So I recently built a new bike up and the brakes will not stay tight. The brake mounts are removable, and for some reason the brakes barely reach the rim. I had two shops look at it because I have never really ridden brakes until now and they can't figure it out. I am running the Odyssey Springfield brakes. Will getting different brakes resolve the issue?

TLDR: Brakes are lose as shit, barely reach the rim, touching tire, any tips, or fixes? Also, removable mounts don't stay tight.

Don't say take them off. Trends kill, and half the fucking kids riding brakeless need brakes until they learn some bike control.

|

FI

11/15/2017 3:06 PM

Use loctite on the threads to stop it coming loose.
And I know the Springfields use a different spring mech to most brakes so try switching the springs around? If you could post a photo of your brakes it might help some of the people tell you how to fix them.

|

Hmmm

11/15/2017 3:08 PM

Edman123 wrote:

And I know the Springfields use a different spring mech to most brakes so ...more

I'll post a pic tonight. Thanks for the info. I did use locktite and it is still lose.

|

FI

11/15/2017 3:18 PM

fede/bmx1 wrote:

I'll post a pic tonight. Thanks for the info. I did use locktite and it is still lose.

What loctite did you use and did you use enough?

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

11/15/2017 3:26 PM

Edman123 wrote:

And I know the Springfields use a different spring mech to most brakes so ...more

fede/bmx1 wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

What loctite did you use and did you use enough?

Loc tite brand. I think I did. Maybe I didn't let it dry.

|

FI

11/15/2017 3:37 PM

fede/bmx1 wrote:

Loc tite brand. I think I did. Maybe I didn't let it dry.

I meant the grade, the number on the container.

I'd leave anything I use loctite on for a minimum of 4 hours, even the quick cure ones. Just to be real sure it has fully cured.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

11/15/2017 3:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/15/2017 3:42 PM

Is it the actual bolt that holds the whole arm together that is loose or is it the spring tension of the brake arm themselves ?

I'm assuming you also mean that the brake pads are barely reaching the rim, if this is the case it's a very easy fix look for a slightly longer brakepad bolt M6x1.0mm and added spacers to the brake pad until you get the correct length and do make sure you have the cone spacers and normal spacers setup up correctly unless using ghost pads which do not come with them but you can still add them to them, done it myself and they work great. This can also help if your tyre is touching your brake arms.

What size tyre are you using for your brake arms to be touching?

You can also try using plumbing tape on the threads that too also work pretty well. It will help keep everything tight.

|

11/15/2017 3:43 PM

Cellmember wrote:

Is it the actual bolt that holds the whole arm together that is loose or is it the spring tension of the brake arm themselves ...more

The bolt that holds the mounts and the brakes together. For some reason the pads are all the way back towards the rim, and they still touch the tire. The spring is tight.

I will try adding a spacer. Tires are 2.10

|

FI

11/15/2017 3:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/15/2017 3:50 PM

Cellmember wrote:

Is it the actual bolt that holds the whole arm together that is loose or is it the spring tension of the brake arm themselves ...more

fede/bmx1 wrote:

The bolt that holds the mounts and the brakes together. For some reason the pads are all the way back towards the rim, and ...more

Hmm, well 2.1 shouldn't be a problem, if you could get some photos up I can definitely help you out because then I could see exactly what the problem could be, worst case scenario is the mounting location has been welded to far apart but I highly doubt that. Get some photos up when you can and Ill check them out.

Ohhh you mean the brake pads are actually on your tyre and cant travel forward to reach your rim ?
If that is the case, you probably already tried this but I'll mention it anyway make sure your wheel is slammed and see if that helps if not Ill definitely need to see photos. tongue

|

11/15/2017 3:53 PM

Check your frames threads and see if they are cross threaded or not, that could also be another issue.

|

11/15/2017 4:01 PM

Cellmember wrote:

fede/bmx1 wrote:

The bolt that holds the mounts and the brakes together. For some reason the pads are all the way back towards the rim, and ...more

Cellmember wrote:

Hmm, well 2.1 shouldn't be a problem, if you could get some photos up I can definitely help you out because then I could see ...more

I'll get pics tonight. And yeah, the brake pads are braking on the tire. Can't reach rim. The wheel is almost slammed. I don't wanna slam. sad

|

FI

11/15/2017 4:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/15/2017 4:14 PM

fede/bmx1 wrote:

I'll get pics tonight. And yeah, the brake pads are braking on the tire. Can't reach rim. The wheel is almost slammed. I don't ...more

No problem, well from what you've said it sounds like the mounts where welded slightly higher up toward the seatube, if this is the case you can depending on how far away the pad is file out the brake arms adjustment slot where the brake pad sits, but leave it for now until we can see that area.

|

11/15/2017 4:35 PM

Which bolts are you using? My fit came with two sets, one designed to work in Odyssey Evo where the hardware is recessed in the brake arm and another that look like regular hex bolts to use with the Springfield brake. Make sure you are using the correct hardware. Not these ones

Photo

|

11/16/2017 4:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/16/2017 5:07 AM

fede/bmx1 wrote:

Hello,

So I recently built a new bike up and the brakes will not stay tight. The brake mounts are removable, and for some ...more

Make sure the brakes are not on backwards. It may sound dumb but I did it. The Springfied brakes look simular on both sides so when I got them, I took them out of the box of put them on. I had a lot of issues like yourself. Did some research and heard its possible to put them on backwards. I almost didnt look becausr it sounded so stupid but guess what........

Loctite your frame mounts and let it dry.

|

11/16/2017 5:42 AM

what side of town are you in? If you're close to katy I'll help you. have you gone to ORP? guaranteed Chris can get your brakes dialed.

|

It’s all bmx

11/16/2017 12:09 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

what side of town are you in? If you're close to katy I'll help you. have you gone to ORP? guaranteed Chris can get your ...more

We tried. sad

|

FI

11/16/2017 12:09 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I am using the regular hex bolt.

|

FI

11/16/2017 1:08 PM

where are the pictures?

How old is the frame?

|

11/16/2017 1:35 PM

hit up orp again, maybe we can find someone to weld new mounts on the chainstay?

|

It’s all bmx

11/16/2017 1:54 PM

I will post pics tonight. I just wanted to ride after work yesterday.

|

FI

1/5/2018 10:45 AM

Update: Sorry guys, been terribly busy trying to ride the bike as is. I had to take the brakes off for now. It wasn't cutting it. Hit up Fit, sent pics, and they said to send the frame in. I will do that soon. Thank you all for all your help.

|

FI