All-In-one BMX Tool Video Comparison, for those looking to buy.

Related:
Create New Tag

11/8/2018 7:03 AM

Here is a short video I made to help lean someone in a direction based on whats most important to them. https://youtu.be/LuM5KXngBjA

Let me know which tool you would/will buy or have already bought and why!

|

11/8/2018 8:04 AM

My version is a FANNY PACK

|

11/8/2018 8:13 AM

The Merritt Trifecta is the best one in my opinion just because it offers a usable 6mm allen key & a 17mm socket and fits in a jeans pocket real easy. The Odyssey tool is just too bulky.

On a side note - I was unable to swap out the pedal wrench on my Odyssey tool .. the allen bolts just didn't come off. Anyone else have this issue?

|

11/8/2018 8:46 AM

Swaggy P wrote:

The Merritt Trifecta is the best one in my opinion just because it offers a usable 6mm allen key & a 17mm socket and fits in a jeans pocket real easy. The Odyssey tool is just too bulky.

On a side note - I was unable to swap out the pedal wrench on my Odyssey tool .. the allen bolts just didn't come off. Anyone else have this issue?

Just take a 4mm allen and loosen it lol. I replaced the 15mm pedal wrench with the 17mm in like 30 seconds.

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

11/8/2018 8:51 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Just take a 4mm allen and loosen it lol. I replaced the 15mm pedal wrench with the 17mm in like 30 seconds.

Cmon lol you dont think I tried that? It would turn but not come out for whatever reason. Doesn't matter at this point because I lost the other pedal wrench but I wanted to see if other people were having trouble with it or if it was just me :-/

|

11/8/2018 8:54 AM

Swaggy P wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Swaggy P wrote:

Cmon lol you dont think I tried that? It would turn but not come out for whatever reason. Doesn't matter at this point because I lost the other pedal wrench but I wanted to see if other people were having trouble with it or if it was just me :-/

Lol i know. I was just messin with ya But I had no problems..

|

11/8/2018 9:07 AM

The Tall Order tool I've got does the job I need it too. It's vary rare that I'd be wanting to change or tighten the pedal when I'm out, so other than that, it does what I need.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

11/8/2018 9:19 AM

All the guys running Profile stems better be packing an extra 1/4” Allen in their pocket......

|

11/8/2018 9:59 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/8/2018 9:59 AM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

All the guys running Profile stems better be packing an extra 1/4” Allen in their pocket......

Unless they have TLC Ti bolts, which have 6mm heads

|

My Sunday Soundwave Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork" - grumpySteve

11/8/2018 10:27 AM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

Lol yep. I roll with a 1/4"

Damn Madera stem. I know it's made in the US but why can't they just use a metric size like EVERY OTHER COMPANY? Lol completely mind boggles me

|

11/8/2018 10:35 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Damn Madera stem. I know it's made in the US but why can't they just use a metric size like EVERY OTHER COMPANY? Lol completely mind boggles me

Some people just want to be different, doesn't matter if it makes it harder for the users. I'd like to know if they really have a good reason for that

|

11/8/2018 10:36 AM

I have the Odyssey tool and kinda regret buying it. I can't get my wheels off/tightened at all through the pegs.

I can't tighten my seat because the allen key isn't long enough. I don't really see the sense of having a tool that you need to use another tool to get an open-ended part (speaking about the 15/17mm insert thing)

I'm willng to sell it off (its still in great shape) and grab the full mutli-tool.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

11/8/2018 12:05 PM

Full Park setup for BMX, MTB and Road. I had to skimp on some stuff such as I did not get a pedal wrench or chain whip. You can make a whip and most pedals I have used an allen or wrench.

And no stand, I built on from a stool. It is pretty good might post a DIY on it. I can adjust the height of it because it has a weird screw system that lets it go up and down. But, you can do that with pvc. And used a weight bench upright (cut down) to hold frames. With a rubber coated pinch clamp to make sure it won’t move. Let me know if you want a DIY and I will get it together asap

|

11/8/2018 12:20 PM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

Please tell me more. . . .

|

11/8/2018 1:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/8/2018 1:29 PM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

BillyBigRigger wrote:

Please tell me more. . . .

https://www.tlcbikes.com/bmx-parts/profile-and-madera-titanium-stem-bolts/

When I got my set, I figured they'd have the same head as the stock bolt but as it turned out, they were a 6mm, which makes life so much easier

|

My Sunday Soundwave Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork" - grumpySteve

11/8/2018 2:12 PM

Swaggy P wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

What he said

|

11/8/2018 2:21 PM

Swaggy P wrote:

I had the same issue but I switched to pedals that use 15mm flats anyway so it was a non issue after that.

|

11/8/2018 3:16 PM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

That could be said about the USA.

|

11/8/2018 6:36 PM

I’m subscribing to this channel rad

|

11/9/2018 11:29 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Thanks man!

|

11/9/2018 12:35 PM

Good video. Not too in depth but something I might not have known without it since i don't have any BMX shops in my area. Let alone, one that carries tools like these.

|

11/9/2018 2:13 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Thanks man!

Guns and bikes good stuff man

|

11/9/2018 2:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/9/2018 3:10 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Good video. Not too in depth but something I might not have known without it since i don't have any BMX shops in my area. Let alone, one that carries tools like these.

Good eye. I was trying to make an easily digestible video on these tools. I had a lot more in depth content filmed (about 30 mins worth lol) but I decided It might scare a lot of potential viewers off.

|

11/9/2018 10:52 PM

Good video! Luckily I don't need one, I can do anything I'll need to on an average ride with a 6mm and a chain tool (I can't imagine my seat moving, but all bolts there are 5mm. And my pedals don't come loose. I haven't snapped my chain for ages either but the possibility is always there)

|

11/10/2018 3:49 AM

eskimojay wrote:

I did already subs and views count

|

11/10/2018 6:24 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/10/2018 6:27 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Good video! Luckily I don't need one, I can do anything I'll need to on an average ride with a 6mm and a chain tool (I can't imagine my seat moving, but all bolts there are 5mm. And my pedals don't come loose. I haven't snapped my chain for ages either but the possibility is always there)

These tools are semi-geared towards peg riders (due to the long shaft for the "socket" opening) but pegless riders can still make good use of them.

The Merritt tool can actually fit in through the opening for pivotal seats. Definitely some seat clamps, most axle nuts/bolts, compression bolts, most stems, some pedals, some cranks. Its a great tool! It eould be better for someone who has a lot of tools already but just wanted a simple solution for 1 tool when actually riding.

The Odyssey Travel tool is definitely more for someone building up a bike that doesnt want to bring a toolbox spot to spot. Its also great if the person literally has no other tools as its pretty much everything you would need. Id say the most frustrating thing about the odyssey tool is the 6mm allen isnt long enough to reach the screw in a pivotal seat. They also could have squeezed a 3mm allen if they hadnt doubled up in washers in some areas. There are definitely some design tweaks the Odyssey Tool could benefit from and be the ultimate travel tool but for 25 bucks its a solid purchase!

|