Aloy or Brass

Related:
Create New Tag

3/2/2020 9:02 AM

Pros/Cons to Alloy nipples on Street wheelsets? Anyone ever run Ti Spokes? Worth it or more PITA than they are worth? Weakier? Etc...

|

3/2/2020 10:25 AM

Brass all day, every day. Alloy nips just seize, or corrode and snap.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/2/2020 10:33 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Pros/Cons to Alloy nipples on Street wheelsets? Anyone ever run Ti Spokes? Worth it or more PITA than they are worth? Weakier? Etc...

Ti nipples are an option now. I've always personally ran alloy started out with brass Tbh I don't thing I'll ever use brass again never had 1 nipple break on me and I do ride all things and am quite heavy, but that's not to say they don't break just my personal experience with them.

|

3/2/2020 2:35 PM

i been riding gsport nipples with no probs. Theyre powder coated(i think?), that may help protect against corroding. Lube them up and they wont seize.

as for snapping, make sure your spokes arent too short and youll be fine.
Photo


|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

3/2/2020 3:12 PM

BMXism wrote:

i been riding gsport nipples with no probs. Theyre powder coated(i think?), that may help protect against corroding. Lube them up and they wont seize.

as for snapping, make sure your spokes arent too short and youll be fine.
Photo


They're anodized; not powdercoated. I built a wheelset for my brother with G-Sport nipples and they lasted about a year and a half. After that length of time, they were so corroded that they'd just crumble and pull straight through the rim.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

3/2/2020 3:23 PM

Wait, you can get brass nipples?!

|

3/2/2020 6:22 PM

the only advantage to alloy nipples is they come in a multitude of different colors and are a clearly immensely heavy 2-3 ounces lighter per wheelset.

Brass are better in terms of strength and reliability. I had alloy nipples a long time again and they eventually seized onto the spoke and believe me, it is not fun trying to remove them, plus truing your wheel like that is next to impossible. It doesn't always happen, but it's something that can be easily avoided. If you do go that route, just make sure you use some kind of spoke prep lube


another con about alloys is if you don't have the exact size spoke wrench, they will round incredibly easy. Obviously if you're an experience wheelbuilder you should already know that, but not everyone does and it's just something to note. Or maybe you're in a pinch and used the wrong size, idk.

|

3/2/2020 6:55 PM

BMXism wrote:

i been riding gsport nipples with no probs. Theyre powder coated(i think?), that may help protect against corroding. Lube them up and they wont seize.

as for snapping, make sure your spokes arent too short and youll be fine.
Photo


p1p1092 wrote:

They're anodized; not powdercoated. I built a wheelset for my brother with G-Sport nipples and they lasted about a year and a half. After that length of time, they were so corroded that they'd just crumble and pull straight through the rim.

ouch.

well i painted them black when i got em and used enough lube. I live and ride in dry conditions, i think theyll last a lot longer than a year.

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

3/2/2020 7:29 PM

Alloy are fine if you are going to rebuild your wheels with new nips within two years anyway. But if you want them to last a long time go brass. I’ve had tons of people bring me wheels to true but i can’t because the nipples are old alloy and just crumble into pieces when i turn them. As for ti spokes, i would say if you have to money, don’t ride pegs, only ride super smooth transition or race then they are ok. But for the common rider they are a waste of money and really fragile.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

3/2/2020 7:49 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Alloy are fine if you are going to rebuild your wheels with new nips within two years anyway. But if you want them to last a long time go brass. I’ve had tons of people bring me wheels to true but i can’t because the nipples are old alloy and just crumble into pieces when i turn them. As for ti spokes, i would say if you have to money, don’t ride pegs, only ride super smooth transition or race then they are ok. But for the common rider they are a waste of money and really fragile.

I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've had to replace a nipple or even cut a spoke & replace both due to it being seized on there, so I can only imagine how many you get with the much higher volume of wheels you probably get at Powers

|

3/3/2020 4:22 AM

To be honest, I completely forgot about the seizing issue. Shows you how long it's been since I trued wheels with alloy nips. Or maybe I thought someone would have figured it out by now. Just curious, How's titanium to alloy or ti spokes/ti nips?

|

3/3/2020 4:27 AM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Alloy are fine if you are going to rebuild your wheels with new nips within two years anyway. But if you want them to last a long time go brass. I’ve had tons of people bring me wheels to true but i can’t because the nipples are old alloy and just crumble into pieces when i turn them. As for ti spokes, i would say if you have to money, don’t ride pegs, only ride super smooth transition or race then they are ok. But for the common rider they are a waste of money and really fragile.

I’m 230lbs. I flair and my wheel with ti spokes and alloy nipples are perfect from the day they were built.
A properly built and tensioned wheel with ti spokes is super strong. I popped off a flair the other day and got weird. Upside I thought my wheel was destroyed. But it’s perfect.

I do keep a complete set of ti spokes for another wheelset in my bag whenever I do go ride just in case. But haven’t needed to open them ever

|

3/3/2020 4:38 AM

Mulletsnax wrote:

I’m 230lbs. I flair and my wheel with ti spokes and alloy nipples are perfect from the day they were built.
A properly built and tensioned wheel with ti spokes is super strong. I popped off a flair the other day and got weird. Upside I thought my wheel was destroyed. But it’s perfect.

I do keep a complete set of ti spokes for another wheelset in my bag whenever I do go ride just in case. But haven’t needed to open them ever

How long have you had the wheelset?

|

3/3/2020 5:40 AM

Highly recommend gsport nipples or brass, fuck alloy nipples! Lol

|

Testimony and apologies





I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.






instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

3/3/2020 7:21 AM

BMXism wrote:

i been riding gsport nipples with no probs. Theyre powder coated(i think?), that may help protect against corroding. Lube them up and they wont seize.

as for snapping, make sure your spokes arent too short and youll be fine.
Photo


p1p1092 wrote:

They're anodized; not powdercoated. I built a wheelset for my brother with G-Sport nipples and they lasted about a year and a half. After that length of time, they were so corroded that they'd just crumble and pull straight through the rim.

BMXism wrote:

ouch.

well i painted them black when i got em and used enough lube. I live and ride in dry conditions, i think theyll last a lot longer than a year.

Same
It amazes me how many ppl dont lube every bmx thread
Living in dry conditions def’ly has it’s benefits...til allergies kick in

|

Come, as you are. As you were. As “they” want you to be....





3/3/2020 11:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/3/2020 11:52 AM

OneGuyIlluminatiEye wrote:

Highly recommend gsport nipples or brass, fuck alloy nipples! Lol

Gsport nips are alloy.

|

3/3/2020 3:53 PM

am-shaegar wrote:

Wait, you can get brass nipples?!

Its a pretty painful procedure but it is possible.

|

3/11/2020 10:58 AM

if you have patience and practice good calm bike maintainence, and care about minor weight reductions, then go with aluminum nipples. otherwise you will easily destroy your nipples

|

wallride a bus everyday

3/11/2020 11:19 AM

Titanium all day !

|

3/11/2020 1:25 PM

titanium when appropriate!

|

wallride a bus everyday