Alrighty fellas...

Related:
Create New Tag

12/6/2010 11:49 AM

...which one do I want?

[img]http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/Specialized/5397?$Display$[/img]

Or

[img]http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/Specialized/6840?$Display$[/img]

I want the dirt jumper cause it is sweet, but the road bike would be more beneficial to me via exercise I would get by riding it, keeping my knees strong and such.

Thoughts?

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/6/2010 11:52 AM

neither, get a fixie. bmx bike, fixie. leave the road bikes for the old men, and the dirt jumper for the fags who cant riide bmx(opinion)

|

12/6/2010 11:53 AM

The racey like one yo

Such good exercise and fun

|

12/6/2010 11:54 AM

A bmx.

|

12/6/2010 11:58 AM

Mmmmm Speshy Allez Apex. Even Sram's budget drivetrain is amazing. The cranks weigh almost nothing. The only thing is it's loud as all hell, but that's Sram.

But....I'd get the dirtjumper if I were me, which I think I am. Only because I'd use it for commuting (wait, don't laugh yet) and I really need to be able to hop curbs and blonde girls on cell phones whilst on campus.

|

I do stuff and I'm not good at it.

12/6/2010 12:06 PM

collin86 wrote:

neither, get a fixie. bmx bike, fixie. leave the road bikes for the old men, and the dirt jumper for the fags who cant riide bmx(opinion)

No, not getting a fixie. They are stupid and actually do more damage to your knees. Fuck that shit.

Road bikes aren't really for old men (plus I turn 25 this week) and the dirt jumper is sweet looking.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/6/2010 12:09 PM

Get a Bruiser made by Milwaukee Bike Co. You can even get it with 14m drop outs so you can use bmx hubs if you've got any lying around. It'll also fit as small as a 25 / 10 gear ratio. Those things are sooooooo sick and bullet proof!
[LINK TO IMAGE]
[LINK TO IMAGE]
[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

12/6/2010 12:13 PM

That is a really hard decision. I've been wanting to get a road bike and dirt jumper for a while.

|

-Let me tell you something about you that you don't know...
-I don't like Fit.
-BLRBMX thought I was 23. Silly kid.
-Facebook

12/6/2010 12:15 PM

If you have decent trails where you live, or can access easily then, then first one.

If the above area doesn't apply; the street one.

|

Refs: ~Stolen Boy~, Brokenbmx(x2), Warchol2, nitrojimbo, Cjmdawg, _brendan, handlebar-to-face

bmx214 wrote:

Get a Bruiser made by Milwaukee Bike Co. You can even get it with 14m drop outs so you can use bmx hubs if you've got any lying around. It'll also fit as small as a 25 / 10 gear ratio. Those things are sooooooo sick and bullet proof!
[LINK TO IMAGE]
[LINK TO IMAGE]
[LINK TO IMAGE]

Whatever I get will be through the shop I work at. So these smaller companies are a LOT less likely. And I will NOT be getting a fixie. I dislike them and they destroy knees when you try stopping (if you run it brakeless). I don't want one.

Part of me is tempted to get a Pugsley though...

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

collin86 wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

No, not getting a fixie. They are stupid and actually do more damage to your knees. Fuck that shit.

Road bikes aren't really for old men (plus I turn 25 this week) and the dirt jumper is sweet looking.

whats wrong with fixies, and how? and go with the road bike, but get something cooler looking.

|

12/6/2010 12:17 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

What brands of road bikes do you sell? We sell Specialized and Giant, and I've got to say that the Giant Defy series road bikes would make any old man comfortable. The Specialized are....more of a race-inspired bike, even the Secteur, which is supposed to be comfort-oriented but honestly does not compete with the Defy.

|

12/6/2010 12:18 PM

whats a fixie?

|

12/6/2010 12:20 PM

collin86 wrote:

whats wrong with fixies, and how? and go with the road bike, but get something cooler looking.

Ummm...they're fixies, which means they just suck to ride.

|

12/6/2010 12:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/6/2010 12:22 PM

Biz wrote:

whats a fixie?

Fixed gear bicycle. The drivetrain consists of a cog permanently affixed to the rear hub (no freewheel or cassette), a chain, and a front chainwheel. The result is a bike that should never be ridden on roads, only on a track, because you HAVE to keep your feet moving the cranks at whatever they happen to be moving at.

|

12/6/2010 12:22 PM

collin86 wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

collin86 wrote:

When you try to stop by locking up the wheels (typically emergency stops) you actually put TONS of stress on your ligaments and tendons. I have talked with dudes who literally blew out their knees from stopping a fixie by skidding.

I dislike them as well as the culture and trend behind them. Seriously, they became popular like 2 years ago. I feel that there is no need for one unless you are on a velodrome training or actually racing. You will never see me on a fixie unless I am test riding one after working on it.

What is your definition of cooler looking? That's an incredibly relative and generic statement.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/6/2010 12:23 PM

Biz wrote:

whats a fixie?

fixed gear

|

12/6/2010 12:27 PM

Biz wrote:

whats a fixie?

tibug wrote:

Fixed gear bicycle. The drivetrain consists of a cog permanently affixed to the rear hub (no freewheel or cassette), a chain, and a front chainwheel. The result is a bike that should never be ridden on roads, only on a track, because you HAVE to keep your feet moving the cranks at whatever they happen to be moving at.

oh wow haha thats gay why would you want that?

|

12/6/2010 12:28 PM

collin86 wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

tibug wrote:

What brands of road bikes do you sell? We sell Specialized and Giant, and I've got to say that the Giant Defy series road bikes would make any old man comfortable. The Specialized are....more of a race-inspired bike, even the Secteur, which is supposed to be comfort-oriented but honestly does not compete with the Defy.

We have Specialized, Cannondale, Raleigh, and a few other brands down in our other stores.

Personally I am limited budget-wise, and will either be getting a Specialized (likely and Allez or Secteur) or a Cannondale.

I like that the Secteur is basically an Aluminum Roubaix, being a tad more upright than the Allez, which has similar Geometry to the Tarmac. If I could swing one of those I would. (Probably a Roubaix).

As to Giant, I won't get one, because we don't carry em.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/6/2010 12:30 PM

Had a road bike a few years ago.Fun for a while,until I realized thats all you can do with it.Ride it up and down the road.It dawned on me I could do the same thing on my mtb,plus hit the trailhead with it.
Just throwing it out there,a hardtail mtb with street friendly tires(2.0 or smaller)does alot of things.

|

12/6/2010 12:31 PM

speed bike. really fun and good type of exercise. i love cruising on those things.

|

flowin' like a period.

dave lawrence wrote:

We have Specialized, Cannondale, Raleigh, and a few other brands down in our other stores.

Personally I am limited budget-wise, and will either be getting a Specialized (likely and Allez or Secteur) or a Cannondale.

I like that the Secteur is basically an Aluminum Roubaix, being a tad more upright than the Allez, which has similar Geometry to the Tarmac. If I could swing one of those I would. (Probably a Roubaix).

As to Giant, I won't get one, because we don't carry em.

Gotcha. Yea, I would probably choose a Specialized too. Both the Secteur and the Allez are a nice ride.

|

bloghogs wrote:

Had a road bike a few years ago.Fun for a while,until I realized thats all you can do with it.Ride it up and down the road.It dawned on me I could do the same thing on my mtb,plus hit the trailhead with it.
Just throwing it out there,a hardtail mtb with street friendly tires(2.0 or smaller)does alot of things.

Haha I know, I have a 2008 Rockhopper Disc MTB with Fast Trax tires (kinda sorta knobby) but I want to rock like 50+ mile rides and an MTB would be horrid for that on-road.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/6/2010 12:34 PM

Get a single speed road bike. You will probably only ever use 2 or three gears anyway. I got the SE Racing Lager for $500 recently and I love it.

|

12/6/2010 12:36 PM

Jawz13 wrote:

Get a single speed road bike. You will probably only ever use 2 or three gears anyway. I got the SE Racing Lager for $500 recently and I love it.

I have an 84 Raleigh 20 speed. I want a good bike for long rides. Old steel frames suck ass for more than 20 miles.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/6/2010 12:39 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Whatever I get will be through the shop I work at. So these smaller companies are a LOT less likely. And I will NOT be getting a fixie. I dislike them and they destroy knees when you try stopping (if you run it brakeless). I don't want one.

Part of me is tempted to get a Pugsley though...

[LINK TO IMAGE]

that is sooo dope. get it

|

sittin on the porch with a fresh pair a shoes~!

refs: hunthobb2

12/6/2010 12:40 PM

Jawz13 wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

I have an 84 Raleigh 20 speed. I want a good bike for long rides. Old steel frames suck ass for more than 20 miles.

Word.

|

12/6/2010 1:23 PM

pretty sure ive ridden the 1st one once!

i just used a word involving the number 1 3 times in a row.

|

im alex, and i like to ride my bike.
MOTW 5/24/2010 - 5/30/2010.
BOTM february 2011.

12/6/2010 1:25 PM

first one!

|

█▄█ █▀█ █▀█ █▀█ █▀ █▀
█▀█ █▄█ █▀▀ █▄█ █▀ █▀

ref-spikez5

12/6/2010 2:00 PM

The second for sure. Its a great way to work out and commute, plus it will help you with bmxing.

|