Alternative to ankle guards?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/10/2014 6:24 PM

I have always had the problem with hitting my ankles off of my crank arms. Always. Recently, it's become a much bigger problem than usual. Today, I barely tapped my ankle off of my crank arm trying a flat 360 and this happened:Photo

I opened up the scab to that little cut and my crank arm went deep into my skin and caused that tiny wound to bleed profusely. Most of the blood actually gathered in my sock.

This sucked. I stained my sock and it definitely made the session a little less fun afterwards.

Does anyone on here have an alternative to ankle guards or a solution to this problem? I've got little cuts and bruises on the inside of both ankles and it's very painful. I would like to get ankle and shin guards in the future but right now, I do not have the money to buy them.

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

6/10/2014 6:28 PM

I have Demo Revolt cranks if that tells you anything.

|

YouTube

6/10/2014 6:34 PM

I already told you! Just let it bleed and forget about it!

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG
@curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop

6/10/2014 6:37 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

I already told you! Just let it bleed and forget about it!

The bleeding isn't really a problem, I like to have nice looking socks but whatever. I just hate having these little scabs and bruises on my ankles! They hurt like hell! The cuts sting really bad and the bruises obviously hurt.

|

YouTube

6/10/2014 7:20 PM

Ankle guards. Plastics. Have cranks without sharp ends ?

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

6/10/2014 7:38 PM

cheap solution other than riding ankle guards, vans halfcab true shit best coverage of the ankle and you can still rock the fancy socks and vans grip pedals nice

|

6/10/2014 7:44 PM

huntsforbunz wrote:

cheap solution other than riding ankle guards, vans halfcab true shit best coverage of the ankle and you can still rock the ...more

I am wearing Vans Chukka lows in this picture. I really like the grip of Vans. So mid and high top shoes protect against hitting your ankles on your cranks?

|

YouTube

6/10/2014 7:46 PM

yeah the half cab has this padding around the top rim and protects real good i highly prefer them

|

6/10/2014 7:49 PM

huntsforbunz wrote:

yeah the half cab has this padding around the top rim and protects real good i highly prefer them

Okay, I'll look into getting myself a pair.

Does anyone know of any other alternatives or ways to stop this from happening? Preferably FREE ones...

|

YouTube

6/10/2014 7:53 PM

Halfcabs are good but you 'll still feel yourself hitting the cranks. I'd know I've been through a pair already

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

6/10/2014 8:02 PM

get two pars of socks and stitch plastic into the sides on the inside of the two together

Or dont be a girl wink

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

6/10/2014 8:11 PM

jamiespadina wrote:

get two pars of socks and stitch plastic into the sides on the inside of the two together

Or dont be a girl wink

Hahaha thanks for the advice! I'll take both into consideration! grin

|

YouTube

6/10/2014 8:13 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Halfcabs are good but you 'll still feel yourself hitting the cranks. I'd know I've been through a pair already

Does the shoe hit first though? I planned on getting some Half Cabs anyway because I've heard that they're really good but knowing that they can protect me from having my ankle bleed would be a real plus!

|

YouTube

6/10/2014 9:05 PM

mid top shoes man

|

You're never too old to have fun.

Bike
Summer riding

6/10/2014 10:09 PM

I've only had bad shinner, that's really about it apart from bruised heels from bailing due to not committing like a dumbass.

|

Latest Bike Check/Update

Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

6/11/2014 1:31 AM

This happens to me all the time! I thought I was the only person that this happens to. For me though I tend to do it 3 or 4 times in the matter of a couple of days and then it doesn't happen for again for another month or so.

|

6/11/2014 2:33 AM

high tops, mid tops... maybe wraping it with an ace bandage before riding

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

6/11/2014 2:33 AM

just dont look at the cut, ankle cuts, shinners, etc are all way worse once you see them!
i do ride with knee pads, shinners, and ankle braces, but from time to time when i dont i just prefer not to look if i know ive cut myself, once you look shit just goes down hill haha

|

6/11/2014 3:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/11/2014 3:26 AM

Etnies brake 2.0 have the best of both worlds if you like lows but with the protection of a mid, see picture below.

Photo

If you need something free for now tho, try and find some foam underlay for floors, cut a piece, fold it up and tape it together and put it in your sock, I'd did this for a while when this was happening to me and it worked while my cut healed.

New shoes are the way to go tho.

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

6/11/2014 3:24 AM

isnowyaznV2 wrote:

I've only had bad shinner, that's really about it apart from bruised heels from bailing due to not committing like a dumbass.

I hate Bruised heels, I did mine over a month ago, its still not healed.

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

6/11/2014 8:43 AM

Take a handsaw to your legs just above the ankles then buy clip in pedals

|

6/11/2014 8:52 AM

Like a few people have said get mid ot high topsor even thicker socks could help like football socks or something

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

6/11/2014 9:51 AM

Yep, high or mid tops. I'll never ride again without them; no more bruising.

|

6/11/2014 11:23 AM

Get high socks and fold to desired thickness.

|

6/11/2014 1:34 PM

Stocksy wrote:

Okay, I'll look into getting myself a pair.

Does anyone know of any other alternatives or ways to stop this from happening? ...more

I know of a free way, but you're not going to like it one bit.

|

6/11/2014 3:25 PM

Soulrebelrastaman wrote:

Etnies brake 2.0 have the best of both worlds if you like lows but with the protection of a mid, see picture below.

Photo

If you ...more

I kinda like them except for the red in the front

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

6/11/2014 4:31 PM

Fast plant 3s have made my ankles adapt and evolve to ankle bite.

Ankle braces will help you, they got them on Dans

|

Check my Youtube Channel and Subscribe if you like.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC62awwE63LVhyBqOgIyY3ZA
Follow me on Instagram @ scott_effting & toododgy

6/11/2014 6:44 PM

i made super good ones out of a Gatorade bottle, a shoelace, paper, cardboard and a shitload of duck tape. get creative

|