Aluminum axle vs chromoly axle in front hubs

Related:
Create New Tag

6/21/2015 1:45 PM

Whats your preference and why?
Do the aluminum ones hold up?

I'm getting ready to build a wheel set. I'd like a matching hubset.

I was thinking about getting tree hubs. I've never had any experience with aluminum center axles in fronts hubs.

|

6/21/2015 2:03 PM

The aluminum ones hold up just fine, I had a Kink Viridian which has an aluminum axle although that (and the dumb tiny bearings) are the reasons I got rid of it. My bolts always ended up seizing in the axle even with a lot of grease. Not terribly, but enough to be an annoyance. I know some like the Antigram front hub come with steel helicoils in there to prevent that though.

On top of that, they can deform quite easily. Due to the tiny bearings shitting out, needing replaced or needing greased, I had to take my hub apart a couple times and every time it was a pain in the ass because the aluminum axle deforms just the slightest bit on the ends and makes it hard to slide the hardware off, or even the axle through the bearings. That was within only about a month of having that hub too. I guess if you don't need to take your hub apart often it doesn't matter though...

My preference though is chromoly because it just feels stronger although I'm sure that's in my head, plus I have absolutely none of the problems I mentioned above. No seizing, no deforming hardware, nothing. That being said, they hold up just fine if you don't mind the possible seizing and deforming issues.

|

6/21/2015 3:10 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

The aluminum ones hold up just fine, I had a Kink Viridian which has an aluminum axle although that (and the dumb tiny ...more

The deforming issue was my concern actually. I noticed alot of companies offering replacments for aluminum axle's which is why i asked. Thanks man.

|

6/21/2015 6:06 PM

I got a chromo replacement axle for my primo n4fl which had an aluminum axle when I got it that eventually snapped, and up until it died it was super deformed and I had to hammer on the built in guards. With the chromo replacement they slide on with barely any effort

Tldr; chromo all thr way

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

6/21/2015 6:48 PM

I have aluminum and it seems fine. Chromo is also good too. It's a front hub, if it's female it's good in my eyes. Chromo is probably better to work with but usually front hubs don't cause trouble.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

6/21/2015 7:13 PM

got a simian front hub. the al axle is holding up

|

6/22/2015 12:14 AM

Marmose is perfect with its oversized axle and weighs a fait bit less than a chromoly axle.

|

6/22/2015 2:40 AM

ive got an eclat tech, same axle setup as the kink, axle just slides out. Mine has helicoiled threads though. Ive had no problems so far, but im on a newish v2 axle an ive a spare un openned one, so im fine running it while i have spares. And i got the spares from the helicoiled popping out on my first from the peg chickin weirdly when my bike went a tumblin, not due to the axle deforming or anything.

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

6/22/2015 7:22 AM

I had a Gsport Monkey hub that I did toothpick stalls on, and it never bent or deformed, no hub guards and all.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura