Aluminum axles and micro pegs and alienation rim.

Related:
Create New Tag

6/22/2018 4:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/22/2018 4:31 PM

So I'm building a new wheel set to cut some weight. most likely (alienation deviant and sun envy laced to maderas with aluminum axles front and back and possible ti spokes) and was wondering if the axles could be run with micro pegs (the madera ones) Also could the alienation deviant be used as a back rim also? I've seen people do it and it seems to hold up

Discuss

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

6/22/2018 5:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/22/2018 5:19 PM

Those rims are preferred for racing, do you want to build wheels for a race bike or a freestyle bike? I'm assuming freestyle because you are talking about micro pegs, Animal makes these : Photo

Does Madera make mini pegs or did you mean just some aftermarket Profile female bolts to make it look fancy? I think they are called the Profile Volcano bolts for female hubs. Also, any decent bike shop or your preferred mail order shop most likely would be able to use titanium spokes. The weight difference between a stronger freestyle rim is only about 6-8oz. per rim give or take, but they are made of stronger grade aluminum. I would run something a bit more heavy duty in the back if it were me, also you can save huge weight on wheels with the right set of tubes and tires, and anything with ti spokes is going to feel super light I would imagine.

|

6/22/2018 5:46 PM

Yeah for freestyle, madera makes lightning bolts which are like their version of the animal pegs. I rode an envy in the back with 1/2 ti spokes for a few years its pretty solid, not sure if the deviant would hold up in the back the same. I have odyssey hazard lites now and theyre eh. I ride pretty much mostly flat ground these day so the rotational weight saving matters a lot when you have no air time haha. However if i go to a park i do like pegless grinds which is where the bolts come in.

|

6/23/2018 12:29 AM

That's a peg, you can't do a pegless grind on a peg wink
Even I'd be terrified of riding those wheels and I'm not heavy on parts at all. Race rims and ti spokes? :/

|

6/23/2018 2:25 AM

Yeah I meant I like pegless grinds now lol would be nice to have more landing space.
The deviant in the back worries me kinda idk. The suns are nice I had them front and back. Race wheels are nice haha

|