Aluminum pegs dented

Related:
Create New Tag

12/19/2019 2:41 PM

As some of you may know, I switched over from steel pegs to plastic pegs with steel cores for convenience and to damage things less. Then I switched from steel cores to aluminum cores and have been mostly happy due to having a bit less weight on all 4 corners. The aluminum cores do feel a bit stiffer when I grind but its worth it to me for the weight savings.

Long story short, I just started doing 180 smiths and went to rotate my peg sleeve and couldn't even fit the tool into the core to unscrew the bolt. Upon closer inspection, I found I had dented the aluminum core right where I land smith. I do a lot more smith's than I used to in general but the 180 smiths were definitely pretty brutal on the pegs.

This got me thinking, aluminum doesn't like to be bent and a bend can turn into a crack. I dont want my peg to break in half while doing a smith. I like my teeth.

My question is, have you ever seen or experienced an aluminum peg breakage?

I'm not volunteering to be the test dummy if nobody has seen it happen but I might just replace the one and keep running aluminum if things seem copasetic.

Seen a broken aluminum peg?

View Results

|

12/19/2019 5:11 PM

Incredibly common with Alloy core PC pegs, as well as the end of the peg denting & flaring out.

I personally have only had that issue with rear pegs, so I rock alloy core PCs in the front and steelies in the rear nowadays. Definitely wouldn’t waste money riding them in the rear ever again, they don’t stand a chance back there haha

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

12/20/2019 4:33 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Incredibly common with Alloy core PC pegs, as well as the end of the peg denting & flaring out.

I personally have only had that issue with rear pegs, so I rock alloy core PCs in the front and steelies in the rear nowadays. Definitely wouldn’t waste money riding them in the rear ever again, they don’t stand a chance back there haha

Ya, the ends of the pegs fold over on me all the time and I have to pop the small end of my tool in the peg and straighten it out before the socket side of my tool fits...its pretty annoying. Lol

|

12/20/2019 5:16 AM

Sad to hear ... I thought that they can handle the street abuse - anyone out there with animal butcher or benny pegs ... do they dent too? I ride flatland with butchers and they are great for flat ...

|

12/20/2019 9:00 AM

Looks like one of my shadow little one pegs from back when i rode a pair of them lol

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

12/20/2019 11:37 AM

vie4130 wrote:

Sad to hear ... I thought that they can handle the street abuse - anyone out there with animal butcher or benny pegs ... do they dent too? I ride flatland with butchers and they are great for flat ...

The sleeves will crack before you ever dent the cores.

|

12/20/2019 12:28 PM

|

12/20/2019 3:14 PM

The thinner the easier. Does anyone remember Easterns pegs with the cut outs !

|

12/21/2019 5:18 AM

I see one person voted they had seen an aluminum peg break. If you are still reading this thread can you tell us your experience?

I retired the seeley core that dented, no point in playing with fire. I have switched over to my backup peg on the front right for now. Its the Odyssey graduate, steel core, same plastic sleeves as the aluminum core seeleys I run.

|

12/21/2019 5:37 AM

I don't even run pegs but thanks for teaching me the word copacetic. Thought I had a decent grip on the English language now I don't even know anymore.

|

12/21/2019 11:57 AM

Why yes, the shitties form of pegs are worse than other pegs. Why do you ask?

One time i had an all metal peg that was aluminum but had a steal end where you bold it to the axle. That shit broke in two pieces.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

12/21/2019 5:02 PM

Doesn't tree have an alloy peg (no sleeve) that's insanely light? Has anyone rode those?

|

12/21/2019 8:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/21/2019 8:20 PM

Thats pretty savage that the sleeve held up through all that. I have yet to crack an aluminum peg core.
I've blown the head off of 2 separate Kink Boulevard bolts while using BSD Rude Tube LTs but no damage to the peg. Cracked 2 Gsport Pleg plastic sleeves but never the core and ovalized a Fiend Belmont PC core, but not cracked it. Majority of damages occurred on a Smith variation. 1 of the Plegs and the Belmont PC were damaged while on the rear.

|