Aluminum vs Cromoly Cranks

Related:
Create New Tag

11/23/2013 11:02 AM

If I was going to buy aluminum cranks, would they be weak? Are aluminum cranks strong enough to take dirt and park abuse?

|

11/23/2013 11:03 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/23/2013 11:04 AM

if you take a tube of aluminum and hit it on the ground would it bend easier than a tube of steel? if you don't know the answer its yes. go with the chromo

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

11/23/2013 11:04 AM

Yeah they'll be fine. Obviously Aluminium is weaker but there's a lot more material on Alloy Cranks.

|

11/23/2013 11:04 AM

feeble_to_face wrote:

if you take a tube of aluminum and hit it on the ground would it bend easier than a tube of steel? if you don't know the answer its yes. go with the chromo

Aluminium Cranks aren't tubular though.

|

11/23/2013 11:06 AM

If your going for aluminum tubes you better get some of that yellow cake

|

11/23/2013 11:08 AM

So, from my understanding with your multiple replies, they are about the same in strength?

|

11/23/2013 11:15 AM

No 4130 chromoly is stronger then aluminum

|

11/23/2013 11:16 AM

eskimojay wrote:

No 4130 chromoly is stronger then aluminum

Yes, but Alloy Cranks tend to have a lot more material.

|

11/23/2013 11:17 AM

I know, but the aluminum is thicker and the chromoly is thinner.

|

11/23/2013 12:00 PM

In order to truly find out, there would have to be a stress to yield test. First off, with aliminum, the series aluminum makes a difference, as well as what it's hardened to. (T-3/T-6, etc) if a set of those were made out of 0, they would bend a little every time you hopped or jumped anything.

With 4130 crank arms, obviously thickness and heat treatment means a lot, as well as quality of the weld. (Was it welded on the Monday morning following Superbowl Sunday) A welder may say that his hungover welds are the same, because he uses the exact same settings, but not all welders take their job as seriously as others. I would love to see a "battle of the cranks" with every brand BMX crank on the market, with both a test that just pushes them to snap and recorded the force needed, and then a series of tests that takes rider weight into consideration when they are flexed repeatedly like the Odyssey R series forks.

If I were independently wealthy, that would be exactly what I would do. As a matter of fact, I would write each company and ask them if they're willing to submit their components to get a certain certification or rating. It would be free of charge, but would let riders know what parts are certified instead of having to make threads on the Internet. Wait, who am I fooling. You know damn well it wouldn't stop even one thread, haha.

There could even be a wear through test for grips, as well as a test to see which ones get slippery when wet with a saline solution.

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

11/23/2013 2:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/23/2013 2:24 PM

unless your buying primo powerbites (aluminium) otherwise buy cromoly cranks

|

don't overthink it just do it !

11/23/2013 4:30 PM

I am buying shadow noctis, which are aluminium, people say that they are improved primos. I will do a review since there arent lots of it in internet.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

11/23/2013 8:59 PM

Wait for the new Eclat Maverick cranks. I believe they're aluminum and they have no welds , just cold forged which makes them stronger. And it has a press on pedal thingy that makes it from stripping or coming out

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

11/23/2013 9:02 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Wait for the new Eclat Maverick cranks. I believe they're aluminum and they have no welds , just cold forged which makes them stronger. And it has a press on pedal thingy that makes it from stripping or coming out

I will buy.

|

11/23/2013 11:09 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

biggybuggy wrote:

I will buy.

They passed the Sean burns test so they must be stronger then a Nokia

|

Bang Bang bmx

11/24/2013 12:58 AM

But most aluminum cranks are really expensive.

|

You say BMX is your life but you barely ride.
BUT hey, That's none of my business.

11/24/2013 2:28 AM

They are the same prices here, well, animals and odysseys are more expensive.

|

RIDE OR DIE

THE ROUTER

Instagram: Luislorentebmx

11/24/2013 5:29 AM

T-rider wrote:

They are the same prices here, well, animals and odysseys are more expensive.

Oh, Aluminum cranks here are expensive and the only brand available are Arestic and Quamen (for flatland).

|

You say BMX is your life but you barely ride.
BUT hey, That's none of my business.

11/24/2013 6:34 AM

IF you do crank arm grinds, get chromoly. Alloy tends to stick to steel, meaning you won't slide far, you will stop abruptly.

If not, get whatever floats your boat. The Shadows are similar to Powerbites/Hollowbites AND some classic GT alloy cranks that lasted forever.

Very solid. If you do crank arms, get chromo.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/25/2013 9:02 AM

I ride the shadow noctis. Very strong cranks. No bend at all.

|

United Bike Co

The Shadow Conspiracy

"Whats the point in 3 pegs? What is it, 10oz for a peg? Just put the 4th one on! Jeez!"