Am I missing something here??? I think my LBS might be "Going Sour" with BMX

Related:
Create New Tag

7/8/2018 2:20 PM

So for a long time, they went through so many distributors which gave my local shop such a healthy variety of parts to pick from.

Distro's such as QBP, Sparky's, TIP+, and a couple others.

And I've started asking about being able to get certain parts shipped in on special order, anywhere from Federal Bikes to KHE. I've been told no each time really, all within the same or similar reason...

"All those companies going through Tip, and Sparkys and whatnot have really bad quality control and low quality parts, and where the goal is to sell lower quality parts for more money, like Nike for example"

I wonder how many other shops would make the same BS reasoning.
Obviously there are truths to this but at the same time, the way our sport is even companies with the best quality control and whatnot, their parts are all destined to break too.

They used Shadow Conspiracy for example...

"Shadow has been lowering their product quality but still raising prices a lot"

Like um.... this isn't a vehicle manufacturing company... take that approach elsewhere.
The Shadow Sabotage Guard Sprocket, 40 dollars for an aluminum solid sprocket with a bolt on replaceable nylon bashguard... The Mark Burnett ODIN Stem... 35 dollars for a solid ass stem with a lot of rise, Vultus bars are still popular, I can go on....

This has gotta be one of the kinds of approaches that kills local shops....

|

Welp, broke past 1000... yeeeee

My Youtube / RainBMX
My Insta / What_Is_Barspin

7/8/2018 3:35 PM

The guy who said that is a spastic making up excuses. Chances are the truth is that they can't afford to have stock sitting around not selling. The bmx industry is saturated with parts, even core shops don't know what's going to sell or what to stock. But blaming the brands is bs. He probably thinks all bmx stuff should be indestructible, then a kid snapped a chain or something

|

7/8/2018 3:42 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

The guy who said that is a spastic making up excuses. Chances are the truth is that they can't afford to have stock sitting ...more

Shit man I guess.... it doesn't help either that the sales rep lady is making the calls as well, like she also gave a short speech about only choosing the "safest parts".... like.... wtf...I don't think I can afford enough facepalming for that....

|

My Youtube / RainBMX

7/8/2018 3:56 PM

you're in Portland.

Your local shop should be Goods.

why would you shop anywhere else?

|

7/8/2018 4:00 PM

pnj wrote:

you're in Portland.

Your local shop should be Goods.

why would you shop anywhere else?

Yyyeahhh... that's going to be happening going forward, I've usually gone through the shop I'm talking about which I completely spaced on naming
The Outer Rim Bicycles

I feel like since you're PNW based you may have heard of the shop.

|

My Youtube / RainBMX

7/8/2018 10:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/8/2018 10:05 PM

To be fair , maybe they’re helping you out . It’s possible they might know about a poor batch of parts , or have heard from respectable people in the industry about certain sour part issues .

That being said , it’s dumb of them to not earn some income and customer loyalty . At the end of the day , a part is a part , and if you want it , they shouldn’t try and verify what you can and can’t buy , especially since they actually distribute that company / product .

It’s almost like saying because a Fiend frame doesn’t have hydroformed gussets and a wave downtube , they won’t sell it .

Seems pretty bunk to me , what can you do I guess

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

7/8/2018 11:49 PM

regarding the Shadow stuff being overpriced... to be fair, some of it kind of is. At least for a shop, I've noticed the dealer prices are still pretty high. Some places we get stuff from, the dealer prices are nearly half or close to half of what the suggest msrp is (IE: if a stem's msrp is $59.99, we'd probably get it for $33ish), but some of the Sparky's stuff is like $45 for a stem that retails for $59.99. it's not much of a profit and if they marked it up a lot more, people would bitch that it's overpriced and just get it off a mail order.

|

7/9/2018 12:01 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

regarding the Shadow stuff being overpriced... to be fair, some of it kind of is. At least for a shop, I've noticed the dealer ...more

That's true for bmx in general. Even throughout the cycle industry. There's very little mark up, which is why bmx shops struggle. Other types of bike shops sell spares and do repairs all day, which is where the biggest profit is

|

7/9/2018 8:35 AM

It varies, most shops don’t carry many top brands due to cost and demand. Mountain bikes are in and so are road and comfort bikes. They target the adults and hope that it brings in the kids. Sometimes it will otherwise they have to sell to who comes in. Most carry stuff like Giant, Trek, Redline and stock that brands BMX bikes. They can get others but for show floor bikes it’s just the brands BMX version of the mountain and road bikes. They do it for many reasons but they do it mostly because selling 2 $1000.00 road or mountain bikes is probably 2-3 times more money than the BMX bikes they can sell easily.

A friend who I grew up with owns the local shop and said that is what he is doing. Because they do have some good parts for BMX but they pay the rent for the building and employee salaries from high money sales such as a $1500.00 Trek vs a $400.00 BMX bike

|

7/9/2018 8:39 AM

Gack2000 wrote:

It varies, most shops don’t carry many top brands due to cost and demand. Mountain bikes are in and so are road and comfort ...more

It's things like this that remind you of how small Freestyle BMX really is, and how obscure it is to most people.

|