Am I progressing well in BMX?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/17/2017 3:05 AM

So I've been riding for a little over a year now, and have the following tricks down:

- barspins and barspin variations
- 180's / fakies / half cabs / full cabs / five cabs
- 360's
- feeble, smith and double peg grinds (can manual in an out of grinds too)
- manuals
- x-ups
- quarter tricks like front disaster, rock to fakie, 360 to fakie
- footjam whips / footjam variatons
- ALMOST switch tail whips flyout
- grizzly

And a few others which I can't recall from the top of my head.

Would you say I've progressed pretty fast? I've dedicated all my spare time to riding when I'm not working and have taken numerous falls to get to where I am, so I'm pretty proud of what I've achieved in a short amount of time! (Not to brag, but BMX helped me immensely with depression)

I can't ride bowls for shit tho, and to be honest don't really enjoy pumping round. I'm more of a ledge and rail man, haha.

What do you guys think?

|

6/17/2017 3:37 AM

Do you enjoy it?
That's all that matters

|

6/17/2017 6:58 PM

better than i was in like 3 years lmao going on 8

|

Refs: Future FBM, Warchol2 WtfKennethXp Riversiderider TCbmx Riversiderider JakeSalbert

6/18/2017 9:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/18/2017 9:03 PM

if all that shits true, then yes. but whats most important is wether or not you're having fun
i totally hear you on vmx helping with depression, nothing like saying "i wanna die" and then heading to the park and fucking sending yourself

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

6/19/2017 2:37 AM

bmxfromma wrote:

if all that shits true, then yes. but whats most important is wether or not you're having fun
i totally hear you on vmx ...more

It's all true bro. Before i started riding all i used to do was stay in and play video games, then one day me and a friend decided to start BMX at the same time. I put way more time into than he does though, but that's only because i don't want my skill level to deplete, haha. BMX is everything to me at the minute - and thanks for your reply!

|

6/19/2017 2:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/19/2017 2:52 AM

Don't take it too seriously though. Bmx has helped me through depression, but I found that if I put all of my energy into something, I get burnt out on it after a while. When it starts to become boring, you end up back at square one (although I quit a few times when I was younger due to not being able to afford to keep my bike going, and injuries).
If you burn yourself out riding, you won't want to ride.
For me now, just rolling around on my own is what keeps the depression at bay. The clarity I get from a solo ride, finding something to put my effort into, is what keeps me sane and gives me a welcome break from real life. Even on an off day, just pedalling around clears my head and puts a smile on my face

|

6/19/2017 8:17 AM

You should be able to 360 superman no hander - on day one... your slacking

|

6/19/2017 8:56 AM

xxx_bmx wrote:

You should be able to 360 superman no hander - on day one... your slacking

the only thing slacking is my damn coaster ... V1 odyssey clutch, with NO slack adjustment. because the 'washers' are broken.

KILL ME.

|

6/19/2017 1:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/19/2017 1:53 PM

Coming from a guy with 18+ years on a bike, DO NOT put all your eggs into one basket. Find another hobby or two you can pick up on the side. I do woodburning these days. This is the most recent one done. 10-15 hours into it. I can pick it up for 10-20 minutes, or do it for 2-3 hours at a time. It is quiet, and I have a nice end result.

Photo

But by all means enjoy the bike as much as you can. Travel if you can afford it at all. There is a HUGE world, try to see some of it. That is the biggest "regret" I have had with BMX, I did not travel as much as I could have to ride new places and see new things. I am settled down with a wife and almost 3 year old, so that will be on hold for a while, at least until he is down to go long distances for stuff like that.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/20/2017 1:32 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Coming from a guy with 18+ years on a bike, DO NOT put all your eggs into one basket. Find another hobby or two you can pick ...more

That's some serious talent you have there, looks amazing !

I understand what you mean with regards to putting ALL of my time into riding, but it's pretty much all i enjoy doing at the minute to be honest..

As for travelling, i have a HUGE fear of flying so can't step on a plane or go near an airport; it's kind of sad.

Perhaps other things will come along later in life

|