Am I stupid? Assembly questions

Related:
Create New Tag

8/20/2018 7:05 PM

So I am trying to assembly my Soundwave V1 and freaking nothing seems to be sliding together.

The Odyssey stem doesn't want to slip onto the R25 fork. Should I force it on? I dont feel like that is right.

Photo

Also the Animal seat post doesnt seem to want to slide into the frame. It looks too big.

Photo

Then I got these parts with the bottom bracket. What order do they go on the crank spindle?

Photo

I feel a little stupid right now but I rebuilt a single speed road bike recently and nothing fought me like this. I am using Park Tool grease.

|

8/20/2018 7:14 PM

The seat post od might be larger than the frames od...

Photo

^^ that is how the bottom bracket spacers go on.

And you can tap the stem on the fork with a rubber mallet. Should be fine.

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

8/20/2018 7:24 PM

So nothing on the sprocket side? I am kind of thinking that is the case on the seat post. Damn didn't realize there was multiple sizes of seat post.

|

8/20/2018 7:34 PM

93EXCivic wrote:

So nothing on the sprocket side? I am kind of thinking that is the case on the seat post. Damn didn't realize there was multiple sizes of seat post.

For the sprocket side you want your sprocket teeth to be inline with the teeth on your driver. So you may or may not need spacers. Just play around with it. Youll get itsmile

|

8/20/2018 7:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/20/2018 7:56 PM

Ok cool.

Still confused on the seat post. The Animal post is supposed to be 25.4mm and I am pretty sure the Soundwave is 25.4mm. Also the seat clamp bolt is backed out so it isnt that the clamp is done up. Guess I need to measure them with calipers.

|

8/20/2018 10:41 PM

When things are new they'll need a bit of force to get them on. With your seat, take the clamp off, slide it onto the seat post, put your seat post in, then slide the clamp into place. You may need to use a flat head in the slot on the back of the seat tube to lever it open slightly. Bmx's are by far the easiest bikes to build these days once you're familiar with the technology

|

8/20/2018 10:50 PM

look up the penny or nickle trick for opening up the back of the stem. if you have to force it on, you probably won't be able to get the headset tight enough. The coin trick will allow you to easily slip the stem on and tighten the headset.

|

8/21/2018 6:47 PM

Thanks for the help guys. Got the bike most of the way done. Just need to shortened the chain and order a new brake cable.

|

8/21/2018 7:45 PM

93EXCivic wrote:

Thanks for the help guys. Got the bike most of the way done. Just need to shortened the chain and order a new brake cable.

Why do you need a new brake cable?

|

8/23/2018 6:39 PM

One last question, should/can I shortened the KMC 710 chain one more link? Photo

|

8/23/2018 6:41 PM

The chain is upside down just so you know.

And id remove 1 full link and add 1 halflink....

|

8/23/2018 6:44 PM

Photo

How the chain should be
|

8/23/2018 8:28 PM

Oops. Yeah I did. I had just half thrown it on with the quick link to check the lenght.

|