Am I supposed to be riding pegs on these?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/7/2018 1:08 PM

I’ve seen people talk about how you should only ride pegs on certain axles, saying it’s ok on any 14mm axle ,male or female, but you shouldn’t ride pegs on a male 3/8 . My complete has a 14mm rear and 3/8 front but I don’t know wether they are male or female. It doesn’t say on the website specs for my bike so how would I know? At the moment I have 4 pegs on the bike anyway and mainly do feebles and double pegs. Would that damage them if they were male axles?

|

An Indian on a small bike

1/7/2018 1:17 PM

Ved_goswami wrote:

I’ve seen people talk about how you should only ride pegs on certain axles, saying it’s ok on any 14mm axle ,male or female, ...more

With a male hub axle, the axle protrudes from the hub and has nuts on it to tighten the wheel down.

A female axle will have bolts going into the axle, which is entirely contained inside the hub. A female hub will have an axle that comes out no further than the cones.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

1/7/2018 1:35 PM

Both front and rear axles on your Bama are male. Both, but the front especially may bend eventually because they're unlikely to be heat treated chromoly. That's the nature of a budget complete, it shouldn't stop you from learning what you want to learn. Just upgrade parts as they fail.

|

1/7/2018 9:18 PM

Yes, most cheap wheels use a non heat treated axle. I bent my first stock male 3/8 just learning flyouts.

You will definitely bend your front axle doing double pegs. Just dont ever buy another male axle after you do bend it and you will have better luck in the future.Typically when you break or bend a female bolt you just replace the bolt. They are pretty cheap, just got to match the threads and youre good to go.

I found out the hollow bolts are not intended to be used for grinding, so be mindful of that.

|

1/7/2018 9:50 PM

Yeah like everyone else said, it's unlikely (but not impossible) that it's heat treated, so you will eventually bend it while learning to grind, but it happens. Even heat treated 3/8" male axles will bend overtime but they'll last a lot longer. Just upgrade it when that happens, get a female axle and like Bulletpup said if you do end up bending/breaking the bolts, they're cheaper & easier to replace

|

1/7/2018 10:59 PM

Eh, you don't need pegs.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

1/7/2018 11:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/7/2018 11:42 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Eh, you don't need pegs.

#hearteyeemoji

|

1/7/2018 11:58 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Eh, you don't need pegs.

grumpySteve wrote:

#hearteyeemoji

Lol

|

1/8/2018 2:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/8/2018 5:11 AM

I think I'm in the same boat and my axle is on the way out ermm

Back in the day everyone ran 14mm upfront too, why don't people do it now? Is it that much heavier?

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

1/8/2018 3:54 AM

Aitkenisgod wrote:

I think I'm in the same boat and my axle is on the way out ermm

Back in the day everyone ran 14mm upfront too, why don't people ...more

Hashtag bring back fork welded peg bosses.

|

1/8/2018 2:16 PM

Forks with peg bosses would look so weird on modern bikes. I'd be all for it but it would never happen lmao.

|

1/8/2018 2:20 PM

mmmmmmmm
Photo

|

It’s all bmx

1/8/2018 2:47 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

mmmmmmmm
Photo

I feel like balancing on the Pegs would feel weird

|

Hmmm

1/8/2018 3:27 PM

Fork legs are too tapered and light weight now days for such things.

|

1/8/2018 3:46 PM

jbales wrote:

Fork legs are too tapered and light weight now days for such things.

It's just the natural evolution, it is better for taking Pegs on and off now, and maybe stronger. But it doesn't look as cool

|

Hmmm

1/9/2018 7:05 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Yes, most cheap wheels use a non heat treated axle. I bent my first stock male 3/8 just learning flyouts.

You will definitely ...more

Just dont ever buy another male axle after you do bend it and you will have better luck in the future.

Is this a consensus? I have male front and back and do double pegs all the time. I don't *think* I've bent the front axle, but is it really recommended that once you bend a male axle that switching to female if you grind a lot is the way to go?
|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

1/9/2018 8:24 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

mmmmmmmm
Photo

Edman123 wrote:

I feel like balancing on the Pegs would feel weird

No it was pretty easy. Good old Primo Stoogie peg there

|

1/9/2018 1:52 PM

Bit late to reply but thanks for the replies guys. Just gonna ride it till it breaks

|

An Indian on a small bike

1/9/2018 2:23 PM

"Just gonna ride it till it breaks"

That's the right policy to adopt when it comes to BMX.

|

1/9/2018 2:28 PM

jbales wrote:

I was always taught

"Use parts improperly, then demand they be covered under warranty and promptly replaced"

No?

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

1/9/2018 3:07 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

I was always taught

"Use parts improperly, then demand they be covered under warranty and promptly replaced"

No?

That's only if you're better than 3/4 of the people on this forum. And you know what a clutch basket is.

|

1/10/2018 1:06 PM

jbales wrote:

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

I was always taught

No?

jbales wrote:

That's only if you're better than 3/4 of the people on this forum. And you know what a clutch basket is.

Lol

|