Am I too old?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/20/2018 9:49 PM

So I’m 35, gonna be 36 in April. I’ve always loved BMX growing up but for whatever reason never really pursued it. Maybe it was because my parents would only buy me the cheap Toys R Us bikes and not the real deal ones. So here I am almost 36 with two kids and I have this insane itch to finally buy a true BMX bike but wondering if I’m too old to venture into this. I’m obviously not looking to go pro. Just mainly looking to have fun with it. I’m fine with just calling it a hobby outside my 8 to 5 day job. So in the event that you feel I should go for it, I’ll need some help picking out a bike. I’m about 5’9 and about 185lbs. I’m guessing I would need a 20” to 21” bike? I’ve been checking out the Eastern brand bikes. Are these good? I see Adan Banton is sponsored by them and he’s in his 40s. So maybe I’ll be good smile. Any suggestions on what kind of bike would be best for a person with my height and weight? Am I going to need specific tires that will hold my weight better than others? Money really isn’t an object (within reason) so open to all suggestions. Thanks guys/gals!

|

2/20/2018 9:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/20/2018 10:26 PM

Any tires will hold you fine, just depends on how you want it to feel. Rock hard, precise, broken wrists 80psi+

Soft, grippy, cushion 60psi and below

I keep right in the 75psi range usually and feel it gives me a solid feeling with enough give to give my wrists a break if I mess up.

Just watch the tire ratings.

5'9" would probably put you in the 20.5" tt category maybe 20.75"

Eastern makes great bikes but if money is of no concern, dont go cheap. You can get a pretty awesome bike in the 400-500 dollar range though so dont get taken advantage of if someone is trying to sell you all the bells and whistles when you most likely wont need then.

The eastern shovelhead is highly recommended on this forum and would be a great place to start and not have to replace everything right away.

There are a ton of great bike out there though.

Post a price range youd like to spend and im sure the suggestions will follow quickly.

Im gonna be 30 in a couple months. I just started about 7 months ago if you dont count the months i was off due to a ruptured foot ligament.

Dont feel pressured to learn things too quickly, learn at your own pace. Your body will let you know what you are capable of and as you keep riding, you will continually gain more confidence and be able to try new things.

|

2/20/2018 10:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/20/2018 10:53 PM

mike90 wrote:

So I’m 35, gonna be 36 in April. I’ve always loved BMX growing up but for whatever reason never really pursued it. Maybe it ...more

Yes, you're too old Mike. I'm 35 and will be 36 in June and I think June is the cut off. I'm so sorry that you missed the "too old" cut off by 2 months but that's how the cookie crumbles, you should try shuffle board or bocce ball.

Haha. Just kidding. I'm 5'9 225lbs and I ride a 20.85tt and 8.75" bars and I'm happy with the feel of my bike. I restarted bmx in June and I rode my old BMX (from 2004) fairly often until it started getting cold. Then I decided to build a custom bike. When I had any questions I searched this forum or asked a dumb question but I always got a good answer.

|

2/20/2018 11:08 PM

Do it! You'd be surprised how many older guys are riding. There's plenty of other 30 something guys getting into it for the first time.
If you're on Facebook, there's loads of groups, one in particular is called ride on, and it's a 30+ only group, and bike pics are banned, so it's pretty much entirely just old guys riding bikes (most of the other groups are more for collectors that don't really ride)

|

2/21/2018 12:04 AM

wear pads. do yoga. drink water. have a good time. smile

age don't mean shit unless you let it.

|

2/21/2018 12:25 AM

No! Definitely not. Do it man and have fun, good luck to you smile

|

2/21/2018 1:28 AM

Not a chance. I'm 32 and have been back on a BMX for the last 6 months or so and I'm loving every minute of it. You live once, do what makes you happy and what keeps you feeling alive!

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

2/21/2018 2:43 AM

40 years old 5'8" 220lbs and I ride with guys that are 45+ and still shred! These aren't the kids bikes of the 80s. Bmx has come a long way. Stronger, better geometry, and built for abuse. You only get old and tired when you stop. Keep moving. Momentum is what keeps you young.

|

2/21/2018 2:47 AM

|

2/21/2018 3:35 AM

Not too old at all, I am 46 this year and only been back on the bike for 3 ish years... go for it.. it's fun (which is why we all took it up all those years ago.. that buzz doesn't go away fortunately!).

Bike wise, any modern tires will hold 185lb no worries, perhaps run them around 50/60psi just to take a bit of impact without being soft enough to get pinch flats.. size wise you probably want to be 20.75" top tube or a little longer.. just so you feel like you have some room to move around on the bike..

As you are getting back into it from scratch, I would go with a new bike and the support of a shop.. whilst the maintenance on modern BMX is super easy, given you have two kids I guess you will want to be focusing your precious time on riding and not trying to sort out issues on a used bike... (although kids can be a great excuse for a sunday morning ride!)

I am in the UK so can't really comment on US prices, but Mongoose and Sunday seem solid brands..

Enjoy and welcome back!

|

2/21/2018 4:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/21/2018 4:57 AM

Well, I'd say you ARE too old. I'm gonna be 50 on Thursday and I'm giving up on everything because I'm too old. Seriously though.... I am turning 50 on Thursday. But I don't feel it. I am doing all sorts of things I didn't do (or gave up on) long ago. The only limitations you have are you. Yes, you have more responsibilities these days but that doesn't mean you have to give up on the stuff that makes you happy. Dive in! Just take precautions & move at your own pace. Adventure awaits, my friend!

On the bike side of things, it depends on your budget. Eastern makes some decent stuff, but I do believe you get what you pay for. The cheaper you go, the cheaper the bike... that just goes without saying. The Shovelhead & above (there's just the Natural) are great bikes. The 2018 Element would be the next best choice & then the '18 Nagas. The difference being (at first glance) are the front hubs (the Element has a female front hub, the Nagas does not). Both bikes come with Hi-tens bars so those would be the first thing I'd change out when you feel you are at a level that you'd need to upgrade. If you can swing it, I'd jump up to the Shovelhead. It's really got a great list of parts, full-chromo everything & is right-sized for you. That is all assuming that is the direction you wanted to go (New, Eastern....etc...). Outside of that, there are other manufacturers you could look at for a NEW ride... Fit, Hoffman, WTP, etc...; all have good bikes for the money. Lastly, the used market is a great place to look. Craigslist & FB marketplace are great places to look. BUT, many times you need to wade thru what's good, what's bad, what's possibly stolen, etc...; which seems like it would be easy. BUT many listings, even legit ones, are like this:

BMX for sale. $150.

& that's it. No name, model, year, etc... & many times they don't even know what model if they (think) know the manufacturer. Anyway, let us know what you decide on & don't feel shy about asking questions.

|

2/21/2018 4:44 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Well, I'd say you ARE too old. I'm gonna be 50 on Thursday and I'm giving up on everything because I'm too old. Seriously ...more

Holy shit you're 50?! I always thought you were like late 30's! Haha

|

2/21/2018 4:55 AM

RumHam wrote:

Not yet!!!! I have a few more hours of 40's left!!! Yeah, dude, I wish it weren't true. BUT, I'm fighting that bitch the whole way!

|

2/21/2018 5:04 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Well, I'd say you ARE too old. I'm gonna be 50 on Thursday and I'm giving up on everything because I'm too old. Seriously ...more

RumHam wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Not yet!!!! I have a few more hours of 40's left!!! Yeah, dude, I wish it weren't true. BUT, I'm fighting that bitch the whole ...more

Haha no way, keep it up man. That's awesome!

|

2/21/2018 5:53 AM

I turn 45 this year and have been back on a bike for the last 7-8months. I feel like I will never be where I was in my late 20's but I am having as much or more fun as I did then. I am still learning new tricks every week and the injuries have been minor. Just don't rush it and listen to your body. It will tell you if you are pushing harder than you should. Be warned, it will take over your life just like it did in your youth.

|

2/21/2018 6:07 AM

Im 33 and really keen to get bk into it it excites me way more than drinking or going out out. Just got no one in my area . Shame as id be onit most nights should just go and meet dudes but im shit at that bit. Lol

|

2/21/2018 6:13 AM

Nope. I'm 33 and just started up this past year. You're never too old, you just take a lot longer to heal up.

BMX is helping me get through depression, helping me get in shape, I meet someone new at the skatepark every time I go.

I love it. Like someone above me said, your only limitation is yourself or your fear.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

2/21/2018 6:27 AM

I'll probably be dead by 70 so hopefully I can ride until almost death

|

Hmmm

2/21/2018 6:41 AM

Edman123 wrote:

I'll probably be dead by 70 so hopefully I can ride until almost death

Yeah. My Dad died at 74, so I probably only have about 40 years left. People my age talk about retirement...I would go insane if I retired. I plan on working and living and riding until I physically can't anymore.

|

2/21/2018 7:29 AM

Never too old! I'm 34 5"10 and 250 lbs haha pretty burly ! I don't get to pedal as much but I still do and i will continue to play on my bmx bikes when I can!

|

brakeless maniac

2/21/2018 10:02 AM

Hey everyone! I just wanted to thank everyone for the replies and the encouragement. Looks like I'll continue my hunt for the perfect bike. It's awesome to hear all the people still riding at all different ages and sizes. I'm going to see if I can find some locals in my area to join up with.

Now back to the bike. I always liked the idea of having a gyro when I was younger with both a front and back brake. Are these still common and recommended?

|

2/21/2018 10:02 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Any tires will hold you fine, just depends on how you want it to feel. Rock hard, precise, broken wrists 80psi+

Soft, grippy, ...more

Was the foot ligament injury due to riding?

|

2/21/2018 10:10 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Do it! You'd be surprised how many older guys are riding. There's plenty of other 30 something guys getting into it for the ...more

Cool! Thanks. I just found the "ride on" group and asked to join. Thanks again!

|

2/21/2018 10:14 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/21/2018 10:14 AM

mike90 wrote:

Hey everyone! I just wanted to thank everyone for the replies and the encouragement. Looks like I'll continue my hunt for the ...more

Honestly, man...ride whatever the hell you wanna ride.

Lots of people are beginning to ride front and rear brakes again. I ride with a rear brake and gyro, but started with a straight cable.

It's 1000% what you like. People here will recommend different parts and different companies and different setups until we all eventually argue and call each other's mothers a cunt, bringing you back to square one - ride what you like.

I started back up in 2011 with probably the least fashionable bike a guy could get. A few years later, it's a completely different bike. I take the advice people give, consider it, then ultimately decide what I want.

|

2/21/2018 10:17 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Thanks for all the info Mishinn! And happy early birthday! Can you explain the difference between female front hubs and non female front hubs? Also can you elaborate on the Hi-tens bars? These are all new terms for me.

|

2/21/2018 10:20 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Honestly, man...ride whatever the hell you wanna ride.

Lots of people are beginning to ride front and rear brakes again. I ...more

Thanks man. Much appreciated! Just curious...what brand bike do you ride?

|

2/21/2018 10:31 AM

mike90 wrote:

Thanks man. Much appreciated! Just curious...what brand bike do you ride?

My frame is an SE Heavy Hitter from 2011. Pretty much everything besides the frame has been replaced from stock.

Here's my bike check - It's actually pretty different from this too, I have to update and get some pics

https://www.vitalbmx.com/forums/Bike-Checks,27/Husky-Nation-Checking-in,1317690

|

2/21/2018 11:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/21/2018 11:15 AM

mike90 wrote:

Thanks for all the info Mishinn! And happy early birthday! Can you explain the difference between female front hubs and non ...more

Female hubs basically have bolts that screw into the hub, as opposed to nuts that thread onto an axle (male). You can ride with either, obviously, but female are preferred if/when you start grinding etc...;

"Hi-tens" is short for high tensile steel. It's alright but it's weaker than Chromoly. So if you have two frames, one being hi tens or partial hi tens and the other being full Chromoly, the Chromoly will be lighter/stronger. In order for hi-tens tubing to match the strength of Chromoly tubing, they'd have to use more of it, hence the weight.

So, if your are looking at completes, it's best to try to find as much Chromoly as you can. Frame, fork, bars, cranks should be Chromoly if you can swing it. Hi-tens bars mighty be fine for a while but if/when you start getting more daring, you'll want to be sure you have the strongest stuff supporting you where it matters... Frame, fork, bars, cranks, axles, crank spindle, pedal spindles.

|

2/21/2018 12:24 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Female hubs basically have bolts that screw into the hub, as opposed to nuts that thread onto an axle (male). You can ride ...more

Awesome thanks man! I get it now. smile

|

2/21/2018 1:35 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

Soft, grippy, ...more

mike90 wrote:

Was the foot ligament injury due to riding?

Yes actually...lol

|