Amazon and BMX

Related:
Create New Tag

3/31/2016 5:35 PM

Kurt posted this article on BMX Union, it is actually the best way to look into the BMX on Amazon situation that Mafia Bikes is starting.

BEFORE YOU START SLINGING CRAP, READ THE ARTICLE. It actually is a VERY valid argument about the situation.

http://bmxunion.com/blog/maybe-its-time-for-bmx-to-take-a-real-look-at-amazon/#comment-1429859

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/1/2016 12:01 AM

I guess the biggest problem would be the organisation of setting it all up and getting brands on board with the idea. But they all have the choice, and are already potentially missing out on sales. It does seem a bit weird that we'll judge a brand for trying to make some money. Everyone is greedy these days though, and I guess it's the worry that companies will sell out to increase profits that's got everyone spooked.

I'd also like to point out (I've said it before) mafia are no cheaper than any other brand. So my big issue with them as a company is that they claim to be great value, and sell direct. Whereas for the same/very similar price you can walk into your local shop and buy a bike of the same quality. So technically their mark up is even greater than anyone else in the game and all that profit goes straight in their pocket. I just hope they call it a day soon as they certainly haven't blown up in the way they were hoping

|

4/1/2016 1:16 AM

I buy local mostly and some online .

Local is close and cheaper with no shipping and you don't need to wait . I've spent over 5-6 grand in the past 2 years easily , so I can walk in and the staff and owner know me . I get fat discounts too , although sometimes I ask , sometimes I don't .

Online BMX sites is where I can buy stuff my local doesn't have , but it's more for skipping and I need to wait and there's a chance it gets lost , like recently .

Not all kids can afford get a bike , so the cheaper it is , the better it is for them . More kids can ride a cool bike that isn't a piece of shit for less . I was poor as fuck as a kid , it could have helped me .

There is no answer , people will always want cheap things ( online ) but people want value out their money ( local ). It's just about what you want to do

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/1/2016 7:50 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

I buy local mostly and some online .

Local is close and cheaper with no shipping and you don't need to wait . I've spent ...more

online is cheaper all my local bike shops are road bikes and mtn bikes thats it they dont know anything about 20 inches, also i always get free shipping and its tax free so i dont mind waiting 3 days

|

1996 dyno slammer, 1997 mosh pro, 1998 gt vertigo, 2000 haro backtrail x3, 2004 free agent tigercat, 2005 volume dinosaur, 2005 s&m black bike, 2013 stolen saint 24", 2015 flybikes proton

4/1/2016 8:04 AM

JonnyGanja wrote:

online is cheaper all my local bike shops are road bikes and mtn bikes thats it they dont know anything about 20 inches, also ...more

I share the same problem, there are little to no dedicated bmx only shops where I live. I pretty much have to shop online for parts and whatnot. I try to support companies like Empire, Albes, or Danscomp but if they don't have what I am looking for I tend to use ebay and support the bmx shops on there. I dont really see a problem with online shopping as long as the person you are buying from is involved in the bmx industry in some way.

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

4/2/2016 2:24 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/2/2016 2:26 AM

Brayden_Buckingham
"There is no answer , people will always want cheap things ( online ) but people want value out their money ( local ). It's just about what you want to do"

This.
I always buy bmx stuffs online (bmx shops, not ebay or amazon) because there's no bike shop around but I would be glad to give my money to a local bmx bike shop instead.

|

4/2/2016 3:23 AM

The point is, online shops can often undercut your lbs as they reach a much greater audience and shift more stock. As long as it's a proper online bmx shop it's all good. But they can never offer the same services as your lbs (you can't walk in with your bike to physically show them if you have problems).

The concern is that if every bike company started selling stuff direct (via their own website or amazon), and IF they undercut the online stores and your lbs, the online stores and lbs would soon go out of business (as would the distributors). They would no longer be there to help their customers, or the local scene. So there needs to be some kind of unwritten rule about how much they can sell things for, so they can't undercut these businesses. The company would potentially make a massive mark up, but it would also encourage people to use an online store or lbs, and would (or should) only be used to sell discontinued/old stock.

When mafia came along saying they were selling direct, cutting out all the middle men, giving them the opportunity to sell their product cheap, it scared the whole industry. Any and every brand in bmx could start selling direct (if some do, everyone else will have to follow suit, otherwise the retail price between 2 very similar parts would be astronomical, and the brands not selling direct would lose a lot of sales because the retail price would be so much higher than their competitors). IF they all sold direct, the distributors, online stores, and bmx shops would go out of business. They'd no longer be there to support riders, hold events, help with issues, build your bike in the first place etc.

There's a very fine line between making a living, and being greedy. And the industry needs some guidelines to follow to prevent putting other people out of business. Bmx isn't a business, it's a community. Mafia have blatantly stood up and said they don't want to be a part of that community and just want to make some money while pumping out mediocre (at best) bikes.

In order to help bmx grow, we just have to continue what we've always been doing. Supporting our local shop, or our preferred online store, and supporting the brands that help support riders and actually put something back into the community.

If a load of brands start selling old stock on amazon, that's all good. But IF they start sneaking new parts on there at a lower price than anyone else, it could start a downward spiral for the industry.

I'm pretty sure there's trading standards laws that will prevent them from selling anything at less than rrp (unless it's discounted as ex display or soiled etc) so in reality, it shouldn't be an issue. Providing no one else gets greedy and sells direct.

|

4/2/2016 9:56 AM

There's one local shop that I think legitimately cares about bmx. When I went in, the guy was so nice, and really helpful. He knew stuff about the parts that they don't have on Dan's. I was so impressed that I bought something just to help the guy. I'll probobly be getting everything from these guys now.

|

4/2/2016 11:13 AM

biggybuggy wrote:

There's one local shop that I think legitimately cares about bmx. When I went in, the guy was so nice, and really helpful. He ...more

This is exactly what we need more of in the industry. Unfortunately, with online shop's and the rest of the cycling industry still not taking bmx seriously, a lot of shops won't stock bmx parts, and wouldn't know anything about them even if they did. If the rest of the cycling industry would open their eyes a bit more, they'd stock bmx parts and employ someone specifically to deal with that side of it. Chances are any locals would support that shop, even if they didn't have the exact parts they wanted, and in turn that shop would put some money into the scene.
It happens in some places, especially anywhere there's a decent, long lived scene. It could be something quite magical, like a beautiful rainbow bmx unicorn

|

4/3/2016 7:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/3/2016 7:10 AM

I think people would be surprised how much a local bike shop that carries no BMX can help out a BMXer. I've noticed in a few shops now that I get road and mountain bike parts from that they can easily order me BMX parts. Depends on the shop and if they want to stay specialized in road or mountain. But the real bike shops that are run by people who enjoy bikes in all forms will usually help you out. I had shops beat sale prices from Chain Reaction Cycles on $20 - $30 purchases and get them to me with no shipping within two weeks or so. I know you can't always wait that long but if everyone was giving local bike shops (especially the ones who are already carrying BMX stuff) a shot they might be more likely to start/keep dealing in BMX.

But I have to say... This chain of brands, middle men and more middle men then shops must have some links in it that don't give an "F" about BMXers if they're okay with things being marked up over and over before they get to us.

Brand's have the choice to sell online and undercut this old school chain of pocket filling middle men. Or be "fair" and charge the same as the guys at the end of the chain (shops who sell at the highest mark up having paid for several mark ups) then pocket all the money? How about they make use of the shipping industry that comes with the online sales industry to do away with all these middle men? Why don't shops buy online from brands and cut out the middle men. Then Brands can sell parts online only marked up once to avoid undercutting shops? Then people ride bikes for less money. I have a feeling the industry has the shops by the balls. Forcing them to rely on a system that can now be done away with thanks to online sales. And that it won't be BMX that suffers but all the middle men who seem to have the most power by offering what used to be a crutial link that is no longer needed.

|

4/4/2016 12:45 PM

biggybuggy wrote:

There's one local shop that I think legitimately cares about bmx. When I went in, the guy was so nice, and really helpful. He ...more

To be fair, from personal Shop experience, BMXers always wanted free everything. I NEVER ran into it with MTB and road customers. They would come into our store, leave bikes all over the entrance so you had to hop over bikes to get in or out. That was one thing I HATED about our shop being there for BMXers. They would show up any time throughout the day and get super pissed I wouldn't give them grips and stuff for free, and that I wouldn't just rebuild their bikes right then and there because they expected it. Also asking to use EVERY TOOL.

One kid EXPECTED to come in and use the truing stand because he bought a headset (no joke).

So the issue I CAN see is that a lot of BMX kids are little hoodrats who steal small parts like grips etc and then show up a day or two later asking you to install them for free. A lot of times it would be "I bought this frame from a friend, can you put my parts on it?" So you would quote the cost and time, and they would be like "Why would I pay for something I can do myself? Lemme use your tools." If it was a friend of the shop (in BMX there were around 3 of em out of 40-50 kids locally) I would toss em a tool here or there, but if it was some whiny kid I would tell them no.

So BMXers don't typically bring a good name when they show up to shops, and they tend to not buy a ton, so they get limited space. Shops carry what sells the most. Floor space is very valuable, and if things aren't selling, they unload it and fill the spot with something else.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura