Animal Akimbo Cranks:

Related:
Create New Tag

9/3/2014 12:21 PM

I was thinking of saving up for a pair and wanted know what you think of them. My cranks now started wobbling again and theres still a a piece of snapped crank bolt in the spindle. I'd rather ride this out until I have the money for a new set of cranks and spindle. Also, I'm not sure what the size on my bb is and is installing new cranks as simple as just bolting them on?

|

9/3/2014 12:50 PM

They're legit, I like mine.

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

9/3/2014 12:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/3/2014 12:56 PM

They're decent. I've heard good things about them but really they're just pretty generic 22mm 48 spline cranks.

The best cranks you can buy are Odyssey Thunderbolts. Strongest cranks in the Stampy test, I would feel comfortable and confident saying no new crank has come close to touching them. Plus, they have the best warranty in BMX (Lifetime warranty against bending, breaking, cracking, wobbling, etc.). And a super easy wedge installation. Much quicker and easier than 48 spline and no chance of developing wobble. Also, they're really light, sub 30 ounces.

With the Akimbos and Thunderbolts, you will need a 22mm spindle. The outer diameter depends on your frame. Installing the Akimbos will be more difficult and time consuming than the Thunderbolts. You'll have to grease your spindle and crank arms, be sure the cranks are lined up perfectly, and either push the arms on with a crank installation tool or bash them on with a mallet. With the Thunderbolts, you just apply a layer of anti-seize, slide the wedge on, then slide the arm on the wedge.

inb4 someone calls me an Odyssey fanboy for recommending the best cranks you can buy and backing up me calling them the best cranks

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

9/3/2014 1:06 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

They're decent. I've heard good things about them but really they're just pretty generic 22mm 48 spline cranks.

The best cranks you can buy are Odyssey Thunderbolts. Strongest cranks in the Stampy test, I would feel comfortable and confident saying no new crank has come close to touching them. Plus, they have the best warranty in BMX (Lifetime warranty against bending, breaking, cracking, wobbling, etc.). And a super easy wedge installation. Much quicker and easier than 48 spline and no chance of developing wobble. Also, they're really light, sub 30 ounces.

With the Akimbos and Thunderbolts, you will need a 22mm spindle. The outer diameter depends on your frame. Installing the Akimbos will be more difficult and time consuming than the Thunderbolts. You'll have to grease your spindle and crank arms, be sure the cranks are lined up perfectly, and either push the arms on with a crank installation tool or bash them on with a mallet. With the Thunderbolts, you just apply a layer of anti-seize, slide the wedge on, then slide the arm on the wedge.

inb4 someone calls me an Odyssey fanboy for recommending the best cranks you can buy and backing up me calling them the best cranks

Thanks, I might just have to grab a pair then haha. The spindle comes with the cranks right? and would I be better just buying a "22mm bb kit" instead of waiting to see if everything fits together?

|

9/3/2014 1:10 PM

Thunders are good and that lifelong warranty that backs them up is the best in the business if you break them you will get odysseys current cranks just dont strip them down to metal it voids the warranty

|

9/3/2014 1:14 PM

Soulrebelrastaman wrote:

nice, did you have to get a specific sprocket or anything to go with them? I still don't really get the spline drive bolt drive thing.

|

9/3/2014 1:15 PM

BNC wrote:

Thunders are good and that lifelong warranty that backs them up is the best in the business if you break them you will get odysseys current cranks just dont strip them down to metal it voids the warranty

Yea, a lifetime warranty on anything $50+ is hard to pass up.

|

9/3/2014 1:43 PM

Primos over animals any day, wouldnt say no to odyssey thunderbolts either.

|

9/3/2014 1:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/3/2014 1:54 PM

Primo powerbites > oddysey thunderbolts .....you don't need lifetime warrentys on things that don't break , seen thunderbolts snap, never seen a powerbite snap

But onto the point of the akimbos they look solid and only heard good things about them , I'm loving my 24mm fit indent cranks those might be worth looking into they come with a bb kit with it so you don't need to buy one another bonus with those cranks

|

9/3/2014 2:01 PM

BNC wrote:

That's kinda ridiculous honestly. Rawing parts doesn't weaken the structural integrity at all. Unless said person just leaves it raw and allows it to rust so far the material gets pitted, in which case you shouldn't be allowed to own them. Lol

|

9/3/2014 3:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/3/2014 3:10 PM

Soulrebelrastaman wrote:

wawa011 wrote:

nice, did you have to get a specific sprocket or anything to go with them? I still don't really get the spline drive bolt drive thing.

Nah the choice is yours as to whether you wanna run a spline drive sprocket or not, I'm using the eclat vent bolt drive with my akimbos atm, but I run spline drive on my other bike and I would defo recommend it, IMO it makes the drivetrain feel a lot more solid and helps with chain alignment aswell, the spline drive sprocket was a bitch to install tho.

|

Freestyle is the answer to everything --
a fresh way to approach a dull or a
dangerous thing.
to do a dull thing with style
is preferable to doing a dangerous thing
without it.

Os 94
Ms 01
Ns 12

9/3/2014 3:11 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

inb4 ohian is actually a secretly employed by odyssey to tell everyone to buy their products and spread propoganda cool

really tho, thunderbolts

|

virginia beach ~ instagram: @_harru_ ~ 4pegz

9/3/2014 3:22 PM

sketo wrote:

inb4 ohian is actually a secretly employed by odyssey to tell everyone to buy their products and spread propoganda cool

really tho, thunderbolts

I'm paid by Dan's Comp and the Illuminati.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

9/3/2014 3:31 PM

ive had two sets of akimbos, never had a problem. theyre clean and simple. comes with everything you need for install.
ive personally never used thunderbolts, but their testing, reputation and warranty speaks for itself.

other than those, you have Eclat Tibias, which are also proven. i currently use Fit 24MM Spline Drive Indents, and so far they are my favorite, but thats just me. there is a level of personal preference when it comes to certain parts, but a small amount of research and youll be able to get pros and cons of whats out there.

good luck.

|

bikes destroy vlogs.

ref: slade_vincent, shutta, ecuadevil, theprophet, blackmammoth, sfb, element4all, bmx-junkie, kurtnut, nickg, jessebmx, dontDELETE, krbmx17, ninjacat, freddydapice, waanng, ivan, scramhype, motogrizz, tomdon, dream, hatebreeder, noendinsight666, asilva, wolfen, superstarDK, skubasteve, aebasher, many more.

9/3/2014 3:41 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

I'm paid by Dan's Comp and the Illuminati.

Damn, I was trying to find an Obey propaganda pic with Dracula on it but no luck sad Lol

|

9/3/2014 9:59 PM

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Kind of irrelevant, but speaking of the Stampy test, did you see Shadow's "test" on their stuff? In my opinion it was horrible, they tested their stuff, but didn't test any other brands like Odyssey did.

For the original question though, I had them but I got rid of them for Odyssey Thunderbolts. They were alright though, only rode them for under 2 years. Never had any issue with them except before I got rid of them the splines started wearing out, and I snapped one of the bolts because they're shitty aluminum. They're still being ridden though by the person I sold them to, so yeah.

|

9/3/2014 10:46 PM

Good cranks are Thunderbolts but Eclat seems better imo. Also Animals would be perfect unless you're that type of guy to snap cranks more then getting flats. They're good , just not the BEST , but still hold up plus a bigger spindle

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

9/4/2014 7:04 PM

Thunderbolts. I have had mine and havent even had to tighten them since i originally installed them several months ago.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

9/5/2014 4:39 AM

I love my akimbos and they won't be leaving my bike anytime soon.

|

Refs - Night Light(x2), TCbmx(x2), metalheadification, netty speghetti, Dee Hos, burkminipup, Jon_rides_Eastern, ridebmx34, ScramHype, Wolfen, mnsketch, EmpireMonopoly, howlerfbm, ThomasEller, ii Krxfted, zachhendrix, pcoco,

Phone - 704 - 797 - 6844