Animal Akimbos or Odyssey Thunderbolts?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/30/2016 5:26 PM

I recently picked up a 22mm bottom bracket for cheap, because these cranks are the final 2 I've decided between.
I've heard a ton of good things about both cranks, but I'm writing out the pros and cons of both cranks (just my opinion)

Akimbos:
Pros: Chrome (I want chrome cranks)
Stiff, strong. Multiple local riders have all ridden these cranks and LOVED them.

Cons: I've heard that the aluminum bolt can snap.
As they're 48 spline, they could develop a wobble.

Thunderbolts:
Pros: The Warrenty
No wobble, because of the spindle design.
Strong and stiff

Cons: Not chrome!
I heard from one person not on vital (I forget his understand) that they can actually develop a bit of a wobble, if I remember what he said right.
Thoughts?

|

“Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen”
-Indiana Tom

12/30/2016 5:51 PM

Odyssey Thunderbolts. Function > fashion.


inb4 that one idiot comes in here all "hurr get something other than Odyssey cause everyone has Odyssey!"

The wedge interface will not develop a wobble unless it's installed improperly.

|

12/30/2016 6:06 PM

Lol, we all know which idiot too...

|

12/30/2016 6:24 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Odyssey Thunderbolts. Function > fashion.


inb4 that one idiot comes in here all "hurr get something other than Odyssey ...more

Yea, I think I'll go with odyssey... it's literally only the color that I don't care for that much, and if I go with something because of the color I might as well ride an oil slick scooter...

^^joking, oil slick makes me barf

|

“Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen”
-Indiana Tom

12/30/2016 7:26 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/30/2016 7:29 PM

Animal , I have them in 165 and they're sick as fuck . I love how they feel and I don't think they'll break anytime soon . The packaging is sick and they're super simple. Plus they look sick as fuck too ! People always say Odyssey , be different and try something just as good .

That idiot is me and if Sunday rode my bike he'd love it and not notice any difference in quality . He's the definition of dickriding
Photo

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

12/31/2016 6:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/31/2016 10:33 AM

I had twombolts and couldn't fault them at all. But part of me would prefer the animal akimbo's, just because they're animal and look pretty.
As long as you install them properly, I can't see you having any problems with either. Odyssey are stopping their life time warranty (from what I've heard anyway). You'd struggle to break them though

|

12/31/2016 7:42 AM

Id say Akimbos. Like you said they come in chrome, and that iswhat you want. They are also lhd/rhd compatible, which Thunderbolts are not.

|

Legit



Oscar5788,Scramhype,SuperstarDK,Howlerfbm,AlexDanielP,KilledGlamour,notorious NIG,KYMIKE

12/31/2016 9:20 AM

Odyssey always. I had a pair and they're nice and solid, light too which the akimbos are not. You get lifetime warranty and shit too. The only pro the akimbo has over the thunderbolts is that they're lhd/rhd and spline drive compatible.

tldr: Odyssey is the best

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

12/31/2016 10:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/31/2016 10:32 AM

Akimbos obviously they're chrome

|

12/31/2016 12:32 PM

I rode thunderbolts for almost two years then i bent them. Odyssey sent me some new ones and i traded them for akimbos. Haven't ridden the akimbos long enough to really compare them but either way you are getting solid cranks. I'd tell you to get the akimbos because animal is cooler and has a better team than odyssey imo, but that doesn't really matter. People always like to talk like odyssey parts never break, but they do. Only difference is the warranty but animal has a warranty now too.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

12/31/2016 1:12 PM

May be viewed as a pro or con but with 2 piece cranks if you ever need to swap your sprocket you have to take the whole damn crank out which isn't easy with the wedge system if you install it correctly.

|

My Ride
My Other Ride
I've sold stuff to Ecuadevil, LLURider, and Mario.villegas90 with no complaints.
IG: evildeadhands

12/31/2016 3:50 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Animal , I have them in 165 and they're sick as fuck . I love how they feel and I don't think they'll break anytime soon . The ...more

lawl the idiot actually wasn't you or I'd have dropped your name, some other tard whose name I can't even remember (hence calling him the idiot) was on here the other day saying not to get Odyssey specifically because everyone has Odyssey parts, which is a completely retarded reason.

I can accept not wanting to ride Odyssey parts because you feel there are better parts, you're entitled to your wrong opinion, but not wanting to ride something solely because everyone else rides it is a dumb reason.


Also I'll ride Odyssey's dick till it cums, all homo.




And actually if we're being fair, I've ridden Animal cranks and not even being biased, I felt a noticeable stiffness upgrade when going from those to my Odyssey cranks.

|

12/31/2016 3:51 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I had twombolts and couldn't fault them at all. But part of me would prefer the animal akimbo's, just because they're animal ...more

Where did you hear that they're stopping their life time warranty? That's the first I'm hearing of it, I hope that's not true

|

12/31/2016 4:29 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I had twombolts and couldn't fault them at all. But part of me would prefer the animal akimbo's, just because they're animal ...more

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Where did you hear that they're stopping their life time warranty? That's the first I'm hearing of it, I hope that's not true

Right? Can't imagine they'd throw away a true differentiation like that unless they have real issues w warranty costs-

Think how much good will & word of mouth they get on here and elsewhere due to their legit customer abc & warranty... hope this is not the case.

|



Frmrly BmxBos
Ref: Robinson79, aaron.samuel.green

1/1/2017 10:33 AM

I ride Thunderbolts. as far as quality I have zero complaints.
I do, however, have complaints.

1. They're a lot heavier than advertised. I think the posted weight is just the arms and spindle. with the sprocket bolt, wedge, and spindle bolt it is over 35oz. I can't remember the exact# but I weighed them when I got them on 2 different scales and the results were the same. Kinda shady if u ask me.

2. Because of the way they are designed, it is kind of tricky to center them. Thankfully they provide a lot of washers for this but it's a fixed width pretty much and you have to use a million tries to find which washers on which sides make it fit just centered.

As you can see, it doesn't make them bad cranks, my complaints are trivial but I can definitely say that there are lighter and easier to install cranks that I believe are just as reliable.
I haven't ridden the Animals so cant give a comparison but if quality is what you're looking for, then you can feel very comfortable with the Odyssey's.
If practicality and weight are important for you then I would avoid them.

|

1/1/2017 1:05 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

lawl the idiot actually wasn't you or I'd have dropped your name, some other tard whose name I can't even remember (hence ...more

You know I like triggering you haha , all in good faith . I am that idiot who says anything but Odyssey . If they decide to get rid of their warranty ( don't see it happening but maybe they have too much shrink ) it'll be funny how many people on this site will have to find new ways to argue about them , with so many superior products with all companies it's customer service and warranty that really sets brands apart

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/1/2017 2:55 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

I had twombolts and couldn't fault them at all. But part of me would prefer the animal akimbo's, just because they're animal ...more

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Where did you hear that they're stopping their life time warranty? That's the first I'm hearing of it, I hope that's not true

Charliekeet wrote:

Right? Can't imagine they'd throw away a true differentiation like that unless they have real issues w warranty costs-

Think ...more

There is no real differentiation , people are just dumb and seem to think odyssey is the only company with lifetime warranty on cranks

|

1/1/2017 4:08 PM

eskimojay wrote:

There is no real differentiation , people are just dumb and seem to think odyssey is the only company with lifetime warranty ...more

Their lifetime warranty actually isn't the reason I'm vouching for them in this case. Yeah it's a definite plus, but the real reason is the wedge cluster. 48 spline cranks can develop wobble. The wedge design eliminates that problem.

If the Thunderbolts were made by almost any other reputable brand (BSD, Animal, Kink, etc) I'd be saying go with that instead just for the wedge interface.

|

1/16/2017 2:59 PM

I'm gonna bump this thread, just because my cranks I'm currently running are cracked. The original reason as to why I'd rather get Akimbos was because they're chrome, but my current cranks are black and I like how they look with my new frame. So only black cranks now, and yet I think I'll go with Akimbos. They seem a bit simpler to install, and a hell of a lot easier to take on and off. My buddy has a pair of Thunderbolts, and he says they're very hard to take off. He used to own Akimbos, and he liked them a lot better. This guy is crazy on a bike, and if he can't break them I doubt I will. I'm not that hard of a rider.

|

“Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen”
-Indiana Tom

1/16/2017 3:26 PM

Mine were easy to put on and they include that crank tool / mallet piece which is a nice plus . The 165mm feels sick but it's nice that's it's just a solid , original crank with no gimmicks . Plus you can run sprockets on both sides , a nice addition

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/16/2017 3:58 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Mine were easy to put on and they include that crank tool / mallet piece which is a nice plus . The 165mm feels sick but it's ...more

Should I get them in 170 or 165? I currently run a 30-9 ratio but I'm dropping down to 28-9.

|

“Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen”
-Indiana Tom

1/16/2017 3:59 PM

I think I'll get 170's

|

“Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen”
-Indiana Tom

1/16/2017 5:40 PM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

I think I'll get 170's

I'd say 170's you'll notice it , I paid an extra like 80$ for 5mm shorter ( not joking either ) but I'd rather spend the extra and get what I want . I got 165mm because I have a shorter frame and ride with my feet pretty far back on the pedals so I hit my peg a lot , not as much anymore . But ya you'll be happy with them , I was stoked going from Premium to these , you won't be let down

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/16/2017 6:25 PM

Odyssey makes the best cranks on the market.

They won't wobble and if you do develop a wobble you can just buy a wedge cluster.

They have the best warranty too

|

1/16/2017 6:37 PM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

I'm gonna bump this thread, just because my cranks I'm currently running are cracked. The original reason as to why I'd rather ...more

Thunderbolts are ridiculously easy to put on & take off. When I had my Akimbos, they were a pain to get on at first even with a ton of grease. My Thunderbolts slid right on. Not to mention not needing to make sure the splines are lined up (which isn't hard but still)

Taking them off is easy. Hit the backside of the crank arm with a rubber mallet or block of wood and it pops right off. I've never had any issues taking mine off that way.

It's better for it to be a snug fit anyway, you want the crank arm/spindle interface to be as snug as possible otherwise it can & will develop a wobble over time (hence the dreaded "Profile wobble" that 48 spline cranks are susceptible to) Not saying it definitely will for sure develop a wobble, but the fact that it can.

|

1/17/2017 8:49 AM

Alright, I'm going with the Odysseys. I'm getting the socket drive version and a socket drive sprocket, just because the socket drive version is on sale for $110. The only problem is is that they only come in 175mm and if I'm running a 28-9 I want a 170mm crank. Does anyone know where I could find a pair on sale for around $110 and in 170mm?

|

“Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen”
-Indiana Tom