Another Odyssey Clutch V2 Review!

Related:
Create New Tag

4/8/2018 9:24 PM

So I have ridden this coaster for all of but a day. Keep that in mind. I am also coming from a cassette so that will be part of how I review this hub/wheel. Also I cannot include some things in the review as my wheel was built with different spokes and nipples than what come from the factory built wheels. My rim also had a ding in it. This is not Odyssey's fault, most likely it is Empires fault since they built the wheel carelessly, imo.

Fit/finish: Amazing! Everything looks like its made of high quality materials and processes. The driver feels beefy and smooth. The bearings roll as they should and I feel the unit will last as long as I keep it. I personally chose the black hub, also comes in silver/chrome.

Engagement: Nothing like a cassette but its decent, kinda spongy but not in a horrible way. It sort of eases you into pedaling, once you are fully engaged it feels similar pedaling hard with a thin cheap chain. It doesnt feel like it will break, just not as positive as Im used to voming from a cassette.

Ease of Adjustment: Easy enough, its definitely more convenient that disassembling the unit. It took me a little while to find the perfect angle to insert the allen but after I gound the magic angle I was easily able to recall it when it came to adjusting it a second time.

Slack: I am running a non-standard gear ratio 23-9 so my experience may differ from someone running 25-9/28-9 etc. With the slack adjustment set for maximum i felt like I had to pedal a bit more than half a crank to get the driver to move the wheel. With it set to minimum slack I now have roughly an eighth of a crank before engagement.

Chain clearance: Tons...Im running a Shadow Supreme at the moment and still have plenty of room.

Crank flip-ability: The jury is out on this one...I was under the impression it would be ready to flip out-tha-box but maybe my particular unit is a bit stiff and needs to be broken in further. I got heavy pedals and a heavy chain so I would think that would be to my advantage. I will update this if I am able to in the future. As of 4/8/18 I am not able.

Accessories: Comes with a semi-tight fitting slide on polymer guard. Decent coverage but I prefer using the Uniguards since they not only protect the hub but the dropouts as well. I cannot comment on how the included guard performs as I have not put it to use and dont plan to currently. It also comes with a rim strip pre-installed. The rim strip is of good quality.

Hardware: Everything is solid! Well, the 14mm female axle bolts are hollow but they mean buisness! Washers seem to be good quality and the threads feel very smooth on the axle, bolts and driver. The polymer internal adjustable "wjasher" or whatever term applies, seems to do its job and thats all I can ask of it. Now that I have researched the hub more so, I dont feel like an aluminum or steel adjustable counterpart would enhance the unit further.

Durability: I will have to save this portion for later when I really have some hours clocked in. Only at about 5hrs as of 4/8/18.

Positives:
-Situational awareness is maximized due to less overall noise when riding. This is not exclusive to the Clutch, Im sure but it is worth mentioning.
-Externally adjustable slack
-Hub flanges are beefy
-Comes with Hazardlite rims
-Strong Female axle

Negatives:
-Pedaling feels spongier than a cassette.
-Feels relatively heavy compared to other wheels I have used in the past.
-Pretty Expensive
-My particular unit was not "Crank-flip ready" lol
-Clutch port sleeve seems a bit flimsy but it works.

In closing, I am very pleased with this complete wheel so far. I will update the review if anything changes or I discover new negatives/and or positives in the future. Odyssey has done a nice job at creating a wheel that is exciting and seems to work very well. I trust if I experience any issues with my unit, I will be well taken care of with Odyssey's excellent customer service!

Hope you enjoyed the review! Here is a video I made today riding it for the first 20 mins or so.

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

4/9/2018 7:28 AM

But all I'm wondering is, How does Bullet like rolling fakie on a coaster?

|

4/9/2018 1:10 PM

Phunny93 wrote:

But all I'm wondering is, How does Bullet like rolling fakie on a coaster?

Its awesome! Im not used to the extra speed but I will say its a lot more fun for me.

|

4/9/2018 1:39 PM

I have the V1, after some break in crankflips should be super easy. Mine spins so freely , I can do double crankflips and my cranks are tight. I do believe the bb bearings tolerances make a difference, and how tight they fit into a frame. On certain frames I have, there is a difference in how they spin

|

4/9/2018 5:46 PM

Good review Bullet! WAAAY better than my shitty ass review lol

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

4/9/2018 6:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/9/2018 6:17 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Nah man! The more reviews the better! Would you buy something after reading only one review? wink

ALL reviews are important.

|

4/9/2018 6:25 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Bulletpup wrote:

Nah man! The more reviews the better! Would you buy something after reading only one review? wink

ALL reviews are important.

Haha true, true... but still, yours covered everything I wrote and more! But still, I wrote that review in like 2 minutes lol

But yours is definatly the best review I've seen on the Clutch V2...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

4/9/2018 7:15 PM

It’s basically your average coaster that won’t blow bearings as fast and has a stronger axle . I like mine . Nothing crazy special , but it rolls

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/11/2018 7:02 AM

thehorrorcontact wrote:

I have the V1, after some break in crankflips should be super easy. Mine spins so freely , I can do double crankflips and my ...more

I have the v1 and I've rode it almost everyday for 3 months and my cranks and chain are both loose but it will only do 1 rotation and its very inconsistent. Some times it'll spin easily others ill have to really try and almost "buss driver" it around.

|