Another “Old Guy Thinking About BMX” thread here

Related:
Create New Tag

6/13/2020 9:02 AM

Same old story as others I have seen except I don’t have kids. Raced, rode parks and street back in the day. Probably about 1993-2000. I’m 38 now and need to get in shape.

I still have my old Haro race bike and an S&M Dirtbike from back in the 90’s. I know the dirtbike is heavy for today’s standards but could I modernize it a bit and ride that, or should I consider buying all new? is anyone still running 14mm axles? What teeth counts are the sprockets these days? I noticed they are much smaller than 20 years ago. I think I ran like 44/13? The Dirtbike currently has the crazy thick kink sprocket with what looks like a motorcycle chain and this massive guard thing on it. I don’t see me bashing the sprocket on stuff these days so I figure I’ll put the smaller sprockets on it and a normal chain. cut sone weight off. The thing is a tank. Our street bikes were tanks back then.

|

6/13/2020 11:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/13/2020 11:11 AM

Welcome back!

Have any photos of your bikes?

14mm axles still exist, and are used often. Nowadays, drive setups usually use 25t to 28t sprockets with almost every freestyle driver being 9t. A couple guys prefer over 30 teeth sprockets, but primarily trail/transition riders.

I’ve only been around long enough to know modern bikes, but from what I’ve seen and heard, today’s bikes, at least regarding structural integrity, are superior. But if you have a local bike shop that carries BMX things, it might be nice to see some and test ride a few just to see what it’s like.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

6/13/2020 11:22 AM

Glad to know people are still using 14mm axles, but I don’t know if I can squeeze a 9t on the wheels I have. I may pick up a new wheel set anyway since the current set have seen better days. I’m sure the new cassette setup is a lot bette Ethan the old freewheels that would decide to not catch with zero notice and fling you over the bars.

I completely forgot typing that out that I have an old Haro Supra frame that is a bit lighter than the dirtbike. It was a pretty serious dirt jumping frame back then and I don’t see myself being too hard on it. I don’t heal like I did 20 years ago and I don’t need to be out of commission for very long at a time.

I don’t have any pics right now, phones didn’t have cameras back then and digital cameras were insanely expensive. I’ll grab a few next time I swing by my shop though. I need to look them over anyway and decide what to do

|

6/13/2020 11:24 AM

Hey man, welcome back as well. I too was a rider in the mid school era and took a long break. I thought for sure I’d prefer a mid school bike but, I’ll admit I was wrong. Modem bikes are better, lighter and easier to ride. I can say that whatever money you’re gonna spend to modernize your dirt bike would be better spent towards a new complete or even a decent used complete.

|

6/13/2020 12:16 PM

I have gone over that in my head quite a bit. So many of the brands I see I have never heard of so I don’t even know where to start. I’m definitely open to suggestions on what people like. I’ll probably mostly hit the nearby free skatepark. 6ft 225lbs. I feel like a 20.75” or 21” top tube is the way to go. My memory is pretty foggy, but I seem to remember always liking the longer too tube. Trails, dirt jumping and racing were always my favorite things to do but we did street and skateparks a lot cause that’s what was available. I’d kinda like to go with one of the rider owned type companies for a bike. I’d rather support them over some massive company

|

6/13/2020 12:16 PM

spencer666 wrote:

Hey man, welcome back as well. I too was a rider in the mid school era and took a long break. I thought for sure I’d prefer a ...more

I agree 100% with this. A good wheel set will cost at least $300. you can buy a really nice complete bike for only a couple hundred more. Kink, and We the people probably have the best bang for the buck last time I checked out completes.

|

6/13/2020 12:51 PM

Same boat as you. But I never had money and rode my huffy around. All dirt tracks (high desert, SoCal), ordered a Sunday scout today from an online retailer (no bmx bikes in stock at shops in my area). I watched a bunch of videos online about bikes, and I didn’t want to drop 500+ for something I didn’t know if I was going to get into. it was slightly cheaper. All chromoly frame, forks, handle bars. I’m a big dude. 6ft 250lb. Im trying to lose weight and do something fun. Also I want my young son to want to ride bikes.

|

6/13/2020 1:22 PM

PhilStubbs wrote:

I have gone over that in my head quite a bit. So many of the brands I see I have never heard of so I don’t even know where to ...more

At your hight I’d recommend at least a 21” top tube. I’m 6’ and 250 and ride 21.25” and I love it. I don’t feel cramped or hunched over at all.

What is your budget?

|

6/13/2020 1:25 PM

PhilStubbs wrote:

I have gone over that in my head quite a bit. So many of the brands I see I have never heard of so I don’t even know where to ...more

spencer666 wrote:

At your hight I’d recommend at least a 21” top tube. I’m 6’ and 250 and ride 21.25” and I love it. I don’t feel cramped or ...more

I’m thinking $500-600 if I buy a bike

|

6/13/2020 2:01 PM

What are everyone’s thoughts on this bang for the buck? Seems like a pretty good deal. Not much for completes in stock anywhere right now

https://jrbicycles.com/collections/bmx-street-park-dirt/products/sunday-2021-scout-21tt-bmx-bike-gloss-black

|

6/13/2020 3:19 PM

PhilStubbs wrote:

What are everyone’s thoughts on this bang for the buck? Seems like a pretty good deal. Not much for completes in stock ...more

That is a good deal for sure. But, if I may be honest, and this is just one dudes opinion, I’m not a fan of the geometry. Not at all cause it’s bad but because I prefer more of a laid back bike. Something with a longer rear end and slacker head angle. I primarily ride trails and bowls so my preference is geared towards a different style of bike.

That Sunday has a more aggressive geometry which I’m told is great for street and tech style of riding but may feel twitchy at higher speed stuff.

I’m a fan of this bike as an stock complete.

https://www.bikebling.com/FITBIKECO-TRL-21-25-Bike-Gloss-Clear-p/fitbikeco21-29-r2-trl-2xl-gc.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqI_Ix-f_6QIVA-iGCh20iw_mEAQYASABEgKkrfD_BwE&Click=120514&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shoppingengine

It’s definitely meant for the trail/bowl rider but I’ve seen a few of my buddy’s ride these at parks and on street sessions without any problems.

I would also imagine that it would ride similarly to your dirt bike but just be a whole lot lighter.

Again, it’s just my opinion, the best thing to do is find a local shop and take one for a test ride!!

|

6/13/2020 6:25 PM

I definitely appreciate the opinion. Going to see if any others chime in and make a decision on that. I prefer trail, dirt jumping type stuff and a lazier setup would suit that for sure. My only reason for not looking for that specifically is that we don’t have any of that around here that I’m aware of and I’ll end up in skate parks more. With that said, I have always been a fan of riding what you’re comfortable with in whatever type of terrain you are riding. Except racing. To really be competitive I think you really need a race bike.

|

6/13/2020 6:48 PM

check out Fit Hartbreaker. it's more trails oriented.

i'm sure you'll enjoy longer back ends , coming from mid school. I know i do.

and i'd go with 21+ for top tube.

welcome back.

|

6/14/2020 9:39 AM

These are for the guy that asked about pics.

I think I decided to just grab a crank, stuff it in the Dirtbike and ride it as is to see if I’m going to get back into it. If I end up getting back in legit, then I’m going to buy a modern complete. Photo
Photo

|

6/14/2020 10:16 AM

PhilStubbs wrote:

Same old story as others I have seen except I don’t have kids. Raced, rode parks and street back in the day. Probably about ...more

For street/park I'd recommend a kink cloud 2021. just purchased one and waiting for it to come in. the brand kink is super solid and make great bikes for the price. with 100% chromoly bars, frame, fork and 4 pegs it's a hell of a steal. that being said I'm not too sure how it'll be with trails but I'd say you could switch the tires to something that'd make it more comfortable for trails. it also sits right at the top of ur budget at $600 and has a 21" top tube.

|

6/14/2020 10:49 AM

So I got super motivated after posting those pics. Robbed the crank and front sprocket for the Haro and some pedals off of a mountain bike. Holy shit I feel like a gorilla on a moped. Still gonna try to ride this thing some and make sure I’m committed. If so I’m going to search for the longest 20” tire bike I can find. lol Photo

|

6/14/2020 1:14 PM

PhilStubbs wrote:

So I got super motivated after posting those pics. Robbed the crank and front sprocket for the Haro and some pedals off of a ...more

What a beast!!! Is that an old 2hip stem? Don’t get discouraged, it felt super fuckin weird to ride a BMX after about a 16 year break. I will say that a modern BMX will feel nothing like that sweet dirt bike though. It pains me to say this but they actually ride better now.

|

6/15/2020 2:16 PM

I'd just get some taller bars first if I was you. Those things are SHORT!!!

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

6/15/2020 7:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/15/2020 7:14 PM

I rode a Haro Shredder back in the late 90's-early 2000's. A few years back, I considered renewing it but always got discouraged by the amount of money I'd need to sink into it.

Fast forward to a couple months ago, I'm really glad I never ordered parts for that bike. I ended up doing a 2020 WeThePeople Reason complete. I'm 6' 220lbs and it has held up really well. I'm still pretty new, though I'm at close to 2ft for a bunnyhop and trying hard to get hop 180's dialed. I can attest to what spencer666 said,

Hey man, welcome back as well. I too was a rider in the mid school era and took a long break. I thought for sure I’d prefer a mid school bike but, I’ll admit I was wrong. Modem bikes are better, lighter and easier to ride. I can say that whatever money you’re gonna spend to modernize your dirt bike would be better spent towards a new complete or even a decent used complete.

They really are. My shredder was so overbuilt it's not funny. New bikes have come a long ways.... So, I'll also recommend either picking up a used modern bike or buying a new complete.
|

6/15/2020 8:00 PM

I would build/ freshen up the dirt bike, still use it as a cruiser/ light duty then build a custom if you get back into it. Other then hunching over, the dirt bike should feel good for flow.

|

6/20/2020 9:12 PM

The bars on the Haro look like they might be a bit taller. You could try swapping them out.

|

6/21/2020 9:17 AM

That Dirt Bike is a Next Gen. I am restoring one as I type this.

They are really, really heavy and the TT is pretty short. Not good for a tallish rider. The Holmes NG was the same frame just with longer geo.

Photo

I'm going to strip and repaint it etc but I wouldn't want to ride it. I would keep that one in the collection and go buy a half decent complete.

|

Gravity always wins.

6/22/2020 6:32 AM

PhilStubbs wrote:

So I got super motivated after posting those pics. Robbed the crank and front sprocket for the Haro and some pedals off of a ...more

spencer666 wrote:

What a beast!!! Is that an old 2hip stem? Don’t get discouraged, it felt super fuckin weird to ride a BMX after about a 16 ...more

It’s an odyssey stem. I flipped it over yesterday to gain some bar height. I loved super low bars when I was younger, but not that I’m old and have a belly, it’s not as comfortable. Still waiting on the tire I ordered so I can try to ride again. I might just run to Walmart and grab something that will work for now.

|

6/22/2020 6:36 AM

PhilStubbs wrote:

It’s an odyssey stem. I flipped it over yesterday to gain some bar height. I loved super low bars when I was younger, but not ...more

“Now that I’m old an have a belly” brother, you ain’t kidding!

|

6/22/2020 8:13 AM

Mine's not too bad. I'm too skinny though. Lyme disease did that. I had a gut before I got lyme disease and couldn't get rid of it. I would walk nearly every day after work and do push ups and sit ups and such quite a bit. But I probably just ate too much back then. LOL. Or too much bad food.

I'm starting to get a bit of one now that I'm feeling better though. Uh oh.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

6/22/2020 10:02 AM

I still eat like a teenager is my problem, that and drink a lot of beer, lol. I’m hoping getting on a bike again will slim me down some.

|

6/22/2020 11:07 AM

First time in 20 years. Feels so weird. So glad I am alone. Lol Photo

|

6/22/2020 12:17 PM

That place looks just like every prefab park here in Massachusetts. It’s gonna feel weird for a while but it’ll come back, just give it time. I aired out over a lip this weekend for the first time in over 15 years. I know it was small but god damn did it feel great!! Photo

|

6/22/2020 12:25 PM

That’s awesome. I kept looking at that hip from the half pipe to the quarter pipe in the pic I posted, but I knew I wasn’t ready for that yet. Funny thing is 20 years ago that would have been the first thing I did when I got there. Lol.

Some felt weird and some felt normal. It’s hard to explain. Can’t wait to go back again though. Had some bike problems pop up so I only got 20-30min total.

|

6/22/2020 1:16 PM

PhilStubbs wrote:

That’s awesome. I kept looking at that hip from the half pipe to the quarter pipe in the pic I posted, but I knew I wasn’t ...more

I know what you mean man! I can honestly say that I just assumed all my old tricks would come right back to me, as if I never stopped. Boy was I wrong!!

|