Another annoying help me build a bike question

Related:
Create New Tag

7/25/2020 2:22 PM

I know, I know - search the forums. I have searched this and others. The problem is, there a million and one opinions (naturally) and for once I'm trying to NOT over-think my decision. I'm 37, 6'2", 200lb athletic build. I've never ridden bmx before (I used to skateboard). I just want something fun to take out in NYC and learn a few tricks (manuals, basic grinds, etc) to make getting around fun (I'm a photographer and my motorcycle is sometimes too much for a quick outing).

If I set a budget from $500-$800, is there a complete or a DIY kit or set of parts someone can recommend? From what I've read I probably want a TT around 21.5" or 22". Chromoly frame. Sealed bearings. I'm confused on tires, so recommendations there would help. Also confused about bar height (although I see 10" thrown around a lot). No idea about sprockets and chains (no one seems to have strong recommendations for those from what I can tell). I'm handy and could build it myself if that's better and more cost effective (I'm guessing it is), but it's tough to tell if I'm picking compatible parts or not because most DIY posts involve modding and customizing probably more than I'm prepared to do or spend on.

Would be great to hear from a tall rider or anyone who could kind of just say "you'll be pretty comfortable whipping around on x, y, z." Any advice is appreciated and thanks in advance.

|

7/25/2020 2:30 PM

yeah i'd say 21'' to 21.5'' should be good for you, all chromoly too, sealed bearings, any tires should do you fine if you buy them from a bmx brand, for your height i'd say 10'' bars too. if you get all the right parts then you shouldn't have to worry about wrong sizings (make sure to get an integrated headset for an integrated headset frame, and the right size bottom bracket for your cranks). i'd personally say look for second hand bmx's as they can be bargains sometimes and if you find one, post it on the forums here so we can tell you if its good or not. also a second hand bmx should come assembled already which could be helpful.

|

7/25/2020 2:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/25/2020 2:44 PM

Thanks. I've been looking for used but they are almost all 20" TT. There is this one, though. Guy said it's 21" which sounds like the minimum. 9" bars. Thoughts? https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/615776769313330

Would love to save money, but if it comes down to it I'd rather buy the right size and spend a few hundred more. No point in getting it if I don't want to ride it (although if it's one of those things where I'd never know the difference anyway, then I'll look at 21' also).

|

7/25/2020 3:52 PM

shortkut77 wrote:

Thanks. I've been looking for used but they are almost all 20" TT. There is this one, though. Guy said it's 21" which sounds like the minimum. 9" bars. Thoughts? https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/615776769313330

Would love to save money, but if it comes down to it I'd rather buy the right size and spend a few hundred more. No point in getting it if I don't want to ride it (although if it's one of those things where I'd never know the difference anyway, then I'll look at 21' also).

oh for sure man, if you're going to do something, do it right. that bike looks good, and if the frame is a 21'' then it should be good for you. also the seller says he will service it which should help you not have to worry about any assembly problems and whatnot and if those bars are 9'' then you can upgrade them, new bars are in the 60-80 price range.

|

7/25/2020 6:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/25/2020 6:38 PM

Sounds good to me. What do you think a good price is? He said he'd do $400

|

7/25/2020 7:55 PM

Also, do I want cassette or freecoaster to begin?

|

7/25/2020 8:35 PM

Personally I think it’s better to start on a cassette but I’m sure some people will say it doesn’t matter

|

7/25/2020 8:40 PM

cky199 wrote:

Personally I think it’s better to start on a cassette but I’m sure some people will say it doesn’t matter

I agree, it's actually easier at first with a cassette, the peddling backwards can actually help keep your balance..

|



7/25/2020 8:52 PM

Thanks guys. I heard the same, so i'll look for that. Cheaper and easier to find used, too

|

7/25/2020 8:54 PM

One more question (for now) - maybe stupid, but do I want brakes?

|

7/25/2020 9:01 PM

|

7/25/2020 9:14 PM

That's a pretty sick bike...

Brakes are up to you, just because you don't have brakes, doesn't mean you are giving up stopping ability, you just learn to stop different..

|



7/25/2020 10:02 PM

Haha yeah I don’t really care if they are on there or not. I just wasn’t sure if there was a preferred yes or no brakes for street riding. The second one costs more but is newer. Considering I don’t know how to ratchet bmx bikes yet I may go with the one that looks like less immediate maintenance. Need to figure out size of TT and bars tho

|

7/25/2020 11:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/25/2020 11:36 PM

ok so basic street setup with ur size:

21"-21.25" TT (u will find more frames with the 21" option)

9"-10" Bars (remember u can raise the smaller bars with an upload stem and headset+spacer if its too low)

Casette/Freecoaster - depends on how serious u wanna ride. the advantage of a freecoaster is that u dont have to pedal backwards while riding fakie. but a coaster also needs more maintenance than a casette, it makes no noise and has a slack before it engages

Brakes/No Brakes - more or less preference, but if u wanna ride street - most go brakeless. for weight saving and better catching ( &style ofc ;D )

Chains - full-link is lighter but less durable than half-link chains, also sometimes harder to adjust the length between ur sprocket and ur hubdriver

sprockets - standard is 25 tooths. for faster riding, ull need more tooths

tires - only depends on how fat u wanna have them. for street try 2.3" and above.


so yea, gotta start somewhere :D after a while u will make ur own adjustments anyways.
also working on a bmx is rly simple and most of it is self explanatory so dont be afraid to maintain it

but pls get suggestions from others too :D dont wanna be fully responsible for ur hard earned money :D

|

7/26/2020 1:03 AM

I’m almost the same size and weight as you. 6’2”, 85kg (187 pounds). I’m on a 21.25tt which feels perfect for me. I alternate between 9.25” and 10” bars, and both feel good to me. Top load stem.

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

7/26/2020 5:44 AM

necx wrote:

ok so basic street setup with ur size:

21"-21.25" TT (u will find more frames with the 21" option)

9"-10" Bars (remember u can raise the smaller bars with an upload stem and headset+spacer if its too low)

Casette/Freecoaster - depends on how serious u wanna ride. the advantage of a freecoaster is that u dont have to pedal backwards while riding fakie. but a coaster also needs more maintenance than a casette, it makes no noise and has a slack before it engages

Brakes/No Brakes - more or less preference, but if u wanna ride street - most go brakeless. for weight saving and better catching ( &style ofc ;D )

Chains - full-link is lighter but less durable than half-link chains, also sometimes harder to adjust the length between ur sprocket and ur hubdriver

sprockets - standard is 25 tooths. for faster riding, ull need more tooths

tires - only depends on how fat u wanna have them. for street try 2.3" and above.


so yea, gotta start somewhere :D after a while u will make ur own adjustments anyways.
also working on a bmx is rly simple and most of it is self explanatory so dont be afraid to maintain it

but pls get suggestions from others too :D dont wanna be fully responsible for ur hard earned money :D

Good stuff, this helps a lot. Makes me want to build one just because it'll be more fun than buying outright. Plus, that one I was looking at sold already.

I don't think I'll be riding fakie a lot (at first and maybe ever), but it seems like a pretty basic thing to learn if I plan to do a lot of tricks, so maybe I'll start with cassette and see what's up after a little practice. The balancing thing makes sense to me, too.

Everything else you suggested looks good. If I can't find a used complete I'll probably post a parts list here for some feedback.

|

7/26/2020 8:03 AM

I'd definitely recommend going with a 21.5" frame if you go the build route.

|

7/26/2020 8:21 AM

Spongeworthy wrote:

I’m almost the same size and weight as you. 6’2”, 85kg (187 pounds). I’m on a 21.25tt which feels perfect for me. I alternate between 9.25” and 10” bars, and both feel good to me. Top load stem.

This is great, thanks

|

7/26/2020 8:22 AM

Bryan91 wrote:

I'd definitely recommend going with a 21.5" frame if you go the build route.

That's what I'm looking for. Or if I can find a cheap used bike with good parts and just swap the frame. Hoping to buy/build this week.

|

7/26/2020 8:35 AM

Thoughts on this complete if I can get it used for $300?

https://www.performancebike.com/kink-2021-cloud-bmx-bike-21-toptube-trans-teal-bk480tel21/p1172248

Now I'm wondering if compromising with a 21" frame is a mistake and it'll feel too small. I'm 37 years old today. Can't be hunched over for hours anymore (except the motorcycle)

|

7/26/2020 9:07 AM

shortkut77 wrote:

Thoughts on this complete if I can get it used for $300?

https://www.performancebike.com/kink-2021-cloud-bmx-bike-21-toptube-trans-teal-bk480tel21/p1172248

Now I'm wondering if compromising with a 21" frame is a mistake and it'll feel too small. I'm 37 years old today. Can't be hunched over for hours anymore (except the motorcycle)

That's a badass bike, but I highly doubt you're going to get it for $300, or even $450. If you're buying it new, $600...

|



7/26/2020 9:17 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/26/2020 9:17 AM

shortkut77 wrote:

Thoughts on this complete if I can get it used for $300?

https://www.performancebike.com/kink-2021-cloud-bmx-bike-21-toptube-trans-teal-bk480tel21/p1172248

Now I'm wondering if compromising with a 21" frame is a mistake and it'll feel too small. I'm 37 years old today. Can't be hunched over for hours anymore (except the motorcycle)

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

That's a badass bike, but I highly doubt you're going to get it for $300, or even $450. If you're buying it new, $600...

Think it's a scam?

Frame is steel. Is that okay?

https://newyork.craigslist.org/brx/bik/d/bronx-bmx-kink-cloud-2020/7165549597.html

|

7/26/2020 9:26 AM

That's a 2020 Kink Cloud..

Full chromoly...

https://kinkbmx.com/products/cloud-2020

Get that bike, even if you have to pay $350, it's totally worth it.. Don't walk, RUN!

|



7/26/2020 9:31 AM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

That's a 2020 Kink Cloud..

Full chromoly...

https://kinkbmx.com/products/cloud-2020

Get that bike, even if you have to pay $350, it's totally worth it.. Don't walk, RUN!

Haha I'm waiting for a reply.

|

7/26/2020 9:52 AM

What should I look for to make sure it's not damaged? Bent forks/frame. Missing spokes? Stuff like that?

|

7/26/2020 10:01 AM

Pretty much.. Welds too..

Check out the headset check for play in all bearings. Make sure the freecoaster functions as it should..

|



7/26/2020 10:41 PM

10” rise bars will definitely be comfy, you might be able to get away with lower, but I’d say 10” is a good start for your height.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

7/27/2020 7:27 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/27/2020 7:27 AM

They guy with the Kink Cloud said he'd meet but then never followed up to my texts, so back to the drawing board. At this point I may source some parts and build. Will look for 21.5" TT and 10" bars to start.

|

7/27/2020 8:35 AM

I would try one more time with that Cloud..

It has a lot of great parts too, then you could just need a frame possibly later...

|



7/27/2020 9:19 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/27/2020 9:22 AM

if you're going to do a custom build, i may have a little bit of help. i'm in the uk so it may be different but after a quick search i've found two frames that should be good for you. theres a 21.25'' total frame: https://www.bing.com/aclick?ld=e8vLpS5uvdowb4yemQPgZOWTVUCUwz4aDWs1dnrLTOBoPpb2ZuZ1SfMP6THbJwuTYnUL9ylB2bniSwO4M_6IjkvvU2GcQEUDSJUWnUoG63KzH6xypt2yGPtLQUAKgQzPVg1iDXRnD81O8zehPUNsdzRtSYnw8&u=aHR0cHMlM2ElMmYlMmZzb3VyY2VibXguY29tJTJmcHJvZHVjdHMlMmZ0b3RhbC1ibXgtdHdzLWZyYW1lJTNmdmFyaWFudCUzZDIwMDM2MDk0MDAxMjYzJTI2bXNjbGtpZCUzZDA3NmJkYzQ2ZmUxOTFlODJhNWM0ODM1ODAzYTU5ZWQw&rlid=076bdc46fe191e82a5c4835803a59ed0 , and a tall order frame in 21.5'': https://www.sourcebmx.com/products/tall-order-315-frame?variant=20609757511791 , just a couple of links incase you are in need of a frame.
also if you're on source bmx which is where those links take you, theres a couple mor frames i've just found too, heres the link to the 21.5'' frame section: https://www.sourcebmx.com/collections/bmx-frames-2?lang=en¤cy=gbp&loc=gb&_=pf&pf_opt_size=21.5%22

|