Another new person with tire questions.

Related:
Create New Tag

5/19/2016 4:07 PM

Hey guys, I'm new to this site, and new to riding dirt. I was wondering what a good setup for front and rear tires would be. I'm going to be mostly riding dirt but I have about a 2 mile ride to actually get to the dirt track. Currently I have a 20x2.25 in front and a 2x2.0 in back. I would like to know what models/sizes you guys think are best for dirt tracks. If I left out any info that would help answer my questions just let me know. Any help would be appreciated thanks, Matt.

|

5/19/2016 4:36 PM

Sizes aren't as important as models. A nice 2.3 or 2.4 up front with about 50-60psi is nice and grippy, and a skinnier tire in thr back keeps things rolling fast at 75-80 psi is what I like.

Some good front tires I reccomend are:
Demolition Machete
Odyssey aitken street
Kink Lyra
Maxxis Rizer
S&M Mainline
Cult Vans

Some good rear tires:
Animal TWW
Demolition Momentum
KHE Mark Webb
Maxxis Grifter
Odyssey Ross v2
S&M Speedball

|

5/19/2016 5:20 PM

Thanks for the reply! I know you just said sizes aren't as important but I can't help but feel landing on a 1.75 wouldn't feel as comfortable as landing on a 2.2. Is there truth to that? And is there common sizes for dirt or is it all preference?

|

5/19/2016 8:23 PM

I got 2.1 front and rear they feel good for dirt park street anything really

|

5/19/2016 8:52 PM

What really gives you the cushion is the tires diameter, not as much so the width. But yes, a bigger tire does absorb more of the impact. A wider tire doesn't really do much other than give you more rolling resistance imo. I'm running 2.25 Donnasqueaks and I'm loving them! They have a huge diameter like most 2.4+ tires, but are thinner so that they roll without much resistance.

For dirt I would go with an aggressive set of tires. Something like Fly Rubens, Odyssey Aitkens, Fit FAF (2.25), etc. If you check danscomp.com, you can see each tire's inflated width and diameter. It's important to check this because the labeled size isn't usually accurate at all. What you think is a 20"X2.2" tire may actually inflate to 21.5"X2.42"

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

5/19/2016 9:11 PM

I agree with everyone on this thread. I personally think that if you run a 2.30" KINK Lyra tire up front and a 1.95" Maxxis Hookworm tire in the rear, that'd be prime!

I had the opportunity to ride this setup and its legit. The Lyra is maybe around 2.32" and the Hookworm about 2.00" while inflated. I ran about 70 PSI up front and 60 PSI in the rear on a less smooth and very grain-sandish track of dirt and never slipped out while carving berms and such. But I guess since your track may be more well maintained, maybe you could get away with higher ratings of PSI to help you roll faster to, at, and leaving the track. Highly recommend!

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

5/19/2016 9:51 PM

Bigger tyres makes the bike feels more sluggish which I like, a big front tyre provide grip, traction and stability.

To ride dirt I would go with this combo.
Flybikes tyre 2.35" front, a nice all around tyre with a nice thread.
And for the back, either a BSD donnasqueak 2.25" a more slick style tyre but super grippy or another flybikes tyre (2.25")

Depending if you'll ride 100% dirt or not. You could appreciate less rolling resistance (bsd tyre) for the 2 miles to the track but the bsd tyre is fine on dry dirt, but if it's wet the flybikes tyre will grip alot better.

|

5/19/2016 10:17 PM

2.10 s&m mainline up front, 2.10 fit faf on the rear. Fast and grippy.

|

5/22/2016 11:38 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. I ended up going with a machete up front and a speedball in back. And readybmxer, unfortunately our track has not been maintained for about two years. We went there today and found a shovel and rake in the wood and started to reshape the first few jumps. I can't wait to try the new tires on the freshly groomed track when they arrive on Tuesday.

|

5/23/2016 12:49 AM

UnclaimedPants wrote:

Thanks for all the help guys. I ended up going with a machete up front and a speedball in back. And readybmxer, unfortunately ...more

Sweet, dude! Glad you got it all sorted out. :D

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

5/23/2016 3:31 PM

Maxxis Holy Roller in the front. Maxxis anything else in the rear.

|

5/23/2016 7:57 PM

Tioga Comp III

|

It’s all bmx