Another stripped nut thread

Related:
Create New Tag

9/23/2016 8:01 AM

I am back again with another thing broken and I don't know how to fix it. On my freecoaster there is a double cone nut setup on the drive side. One is there to get the tension for the driver and the other is to tighten up against it to lock it in place from moving. Well the first one, the one that is against the driver has decided to strip itself. Either it is stripped or the axle under it where it sits is stripped. I can turn it but it won't back off the driver. I can push it into the driver but can't get it out. Other than this the coaster is fine so I want to get set his stupid nut off without damaging anything else. I am planning on eventually buying a new axle for it as mine is bent but I do want to ride it still. May not be possible if the axle is stripped but if anybody has any insight to get this stupid nut off it would be great.

|

9/23/2016 12:54 PM

The easiest way to take it off would be to lever the driver off with something, so it's pushing the cone as you turn it. Until you get it off you won't know which part has stripped the thread. Once it's off you'll probably struggle to get it working nicely until you get new parts though. Just get a new axle and cone (the axle might even be available as a kit, with all new hardware). Then just replace it all together so you know it's all good

|