Antigram Hub

Related:
Create New Tag

3/10/2015 7:34 PM

Hey,

I just bought a front and rear antigram hub from odyssey, courtesy of a warranty repair. It's been a while since I've been in the market for hubs. One thing that stood out right away, is I can see the sealed bearing. Common knowledge tells me there should be something protecting that bearing. Should I be buying a Hub Guard or something for these before I ride them?

Photo

|

3/10/2015 8:00 PM

They're fine, as long as you aren't grinding, you wont damage it.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

3/10/2015 8:22 PM

Definitely get hub guards if you'll be grinding, not solely because of the bearing being exposed though.

I doubt it will pose a problem aside from dirt build up. If anything, it'll work better than regular hubs that use cone spacers there.

See with cone spacers/locknuts, if you grind without a guard, it will damage them and the hub shell, causing them to get knicks that will rub against each other creating drag while the wheel is spinning.

The way the Antigrams are though, that cannot happen. The hub shell can get knicked up there, but with no large cone spacer there, it won't have anything to drag against.

I guess if you grind something really skinny like a super skinny rail or something, it COULD knick the shell right outside where the bearing sits and cause small knicks to overlap the edge of the bearing, but that's nothing a little bit of filing can't fix in the off chance you do manage that.

|

3/10/2015 9:06 PM

alright, thanks for the help guys. Just didn't want to risk damaging my new hubs.

|

3/10/2015 9:54 PM

Dont get offended but have you never seen a gsport ratchet? Thats been around since like 2009 with cones that dont cover the bearings and that hub has 0 issues with the cone like that

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

3/10/2015 11:03 PM

You won't have problems with them, they're sealed bearings. The only reason you should get a hub guard is if you're grinding on that side, and that goes for any hub.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

3/11/2015 6:03 AM

@Tomdon: Last time I bought a set of wheels was back in 06 (hazard lites). No, I've never seen a ratchet before, not many people ride around where I live. This is the first time in 10 years I'm putting money into my bike, so expect a few more stupid questions in the near future.

|

3/11/2015 6:22 AM

johnnyluvbuckets wrote:

@Tomdon: Last time I bought a set of wheels was back in 06 (hazard lites). No, I've never seen a ratchet before, not many people ride around where I live. This is the first time in 10 years I'm putting money into my bike, so expect a few more stupid questions in the near future.

But they wouldn't be stupid questions since you aren't up to date with the current market. They may seem stupid to anyone with advanced knowledge or expertise such as myself, ohioan,sundaybmxrr, and quite a few other guys on here. But I'll keep in mind the last time you built a bike so I don't get bitchy or mean towards you

|

I'm on the vital legit list!