Any 23t guarded sprockets?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/13/2018 10:37 AM

All I can find is this one.

https://wallerbmx.co.uk/shop/bmx-drivetrain/bmx-sprockets/season-druid-23t-guard-sprocket-black.html

Not sure if its heat treated. It only mentions that it is machined from 7075 series aluminum. There are 2 websites that sell it. One site offers free shipping on orders over 61.00 usd

Thinking about picking 2 up but Id like to know if anyone knows of other options before I take an 85+ dollar plunge on 2 sprockets.

I gotta pick up 2 more hub guards as well if I decide to start grinding on my left on my main bmx.

So that would bring my total up to 116.00 i think.

Before I get the obvious "why dont you just get a 25t or 28t guarded sprocket"

I like 23t for several reasons.

Lighter, stronger, more clearance, less chain, easier up hills, faster acceleration in tight spots with less run up and more torque for pedal pressure.

Not trying to start a number of tooth war lol.

|

1/13/2018 10:47 AM

personally anything less than 28t seems pointless. i do squats so i can ride faster.

yes that sprocket should be good especially for that price since its made of 7075.

just remember that guard sprockets are not invincible, i bent my la guardia about a week after i got it.

|

Hmmm

1/13/2018 10:55 AM

Edman123 wrote:

personally anything less than 28t seems pointless. i do squats so i can ride faster.

yes that sprocket should be good especially for that price since its made of 7075.

just remember that guard sprockets are not invincible, i bent my la guardia about a week after i got it.

True, nothing is invincible. But luckily a 23t is a little harder to bend wink

My left knee problems got me into 23t at first. Trying to find anything that would help me ride for longer without inflaming my knee. I ended up loving it so much I picked up a 23t for my dirt jump bike nice for riding up the steep walkway after you have gone down the jumps.

Now I have one coming for my beater bike too since I bent and broke my stock 25t that came with the legion. Ended up fixing it but Im sure it will bend much easier now that it is weakened.

|

1/13/2018 10:56 AM

Edman123 wrote:

Yeah... Personally, I think I'd just stick to grinding on the opposite side of your drivetrain. Cheaper & easier on your parts.

|

1/13/2018 11:04 AM

Edman123 wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Yeah... Personally, I think I'd just stick to grinding on the opposite side of your drivetrain. Cheaper & easier on your parts.

I just hate when I roll up to a nice ledge and the run up or landing sucks for the side I normally run.

I switched my pegs over on the legion because I fucked the sprocket after 2 days of grinding. Broke 2 chains as well.

Mostly due to my lack of experience but still.

I guess ill just have 2 bike with different grind sides. Just bring the one that makes the most sense for the area I ride, I suppose. Definitely cheaper...

|

1/13/2018 11:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/13/2018 11:38 AM

Yeah... I feel your pain... I'm sorta ambidextrous for grinds. Even some airs, etc... So I get that it sucks if you find a good spot to grind but out only has one approach that is OPPO of your normal grind side. I'd say get a guard for the bike that has your grinding on the right side just in case you end up funding a spot that you want to grind but you happen to be on the "other" bike.

|

1/13/2018 11:18 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Yeah... I feel your pain... I'm sorta ambidextrous for grinds. Even some airs, etc... So I get that it sucks if you find a good spot to grind but out only has one approach that is OPPO of your normal grind side. I'd say get a guard for the bike that has your grinding on the right side just in case you end up funding a spot that you want to grind but you happen to be on the "other" bike.

I guess I gotta feel out if its worth it first. Im gonna try and learn hopping and grinding on my left side today and tomorrow. If I absolutely hate it, ill just throw the pegs back on the right on my legion and then pick up the the guarded sprocket.

Until my mongoose cranks bend or break Im keeping them. I really dig them actually. After that Ill pick up another lhd crankset and sell my rear wheel to my friend that grinds on the left.

|

1/13/2018 11:54 AM

Maybe just look into getting a kmc Kool knight chain, or a shadow supreme. That way, you have many more options for sprockets. I'd totally trust my cult member v2 to grind on, with either of those chains. It's 9mm thick, and probably tougher than some guarded sprockets.

|

1/13/2018 12:30 PM

Holy fuck brand new season parts still exist??? i remember tons of kids riding back in the day, such a good looking sprocket. 23tooth is pretty much a dead size much like 8 tooth drivers, but whatever floats your boat.

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

1/13/2018 12:36 PM

Just a thought... You are less likely to land on your sprocket if you are trying to grind both pegs rather than doing feebles.

|

1/13/2018 12:49 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Just a thought... You are less likely to land on your sprocket if you are trying to grind both pegs rather than doing feebles.

Very true, but I'm not yet comfortable grinding rails and such and it's a bit difficult to grind on concrete ledge double Peg for me right now. I'm not very good yet.

Good news though, I just literally started grinding on my left side on the box I built and successfully got a feeble on my second try. Left foot forward hop. Tried about 20 more times and got about I'd say 8 or 9 successful attempts.

Definitely going to go for pegs soon I think. Going to pick up that guarded sprocket and some more Hub guards after all.

|

1/13/2018 12:51 PM

Brokenbmx wrote:

Holy fuck brand new season parts still exist??? i remember tons of kids riding back in the day, such a good looking sprocket. 23tooth is pretty much a dead size much like 8 tooth drivers, but whatever floats your boat.

Maybe I should pick up a few of those 23 tooth guarded sprockets since they might be going out of production in the future. And they're the only option currently available.

|

1/13/2018 12:53 PM

I have SHIT knees too , I imagine 23t would feel amazing , but I’d probably not like it as much because I like to go fast too . 25t is perfect for everything I think .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/13/2018 1:10 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

I have SHIT knees too , I imagine 23t would feel amazing , but I’d probably not like it as much because I like to go fast too . 25t is perfect for everything I think .

I havent rode with anyone that can out pedal me on a 25t. I do have to put in more work with extra rotation of the cranks but it is amazing to cruise up hills in my area that 25t and 28t users struggle with and end up walking the bike up the hill.

|

1/13/2018 1:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/13/2018 1:12 PM

Try one of these out for 19 bucks shipped. Colony makes high quality stuff. If you hate it, ill buy it off of you at a slight discount! wink lol

Its 7075 t6 aluminum

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F322995247507

|

1/13/2018 3:27 PM

Guarded sprockets very rarely protect your chain all that much. That's why I gave up on them, and why I won't make them. And 28 ftw.

|

1/13/2018 8:01 PM

Even with a sprocket on the non grind side you’re gonna hit it trying feebles, especially if the front wheel is dipped in far. Chain is more important than sprocket at this point.

|

1/13/2018 8:20 PM

I ride a 28t 9t driver, but I like hitting jumps not grinding. I run no pegs no guarded sprocket or half link...

|

1/14/2018 12:23 AM

Rubberduck wrote:

I ride a 28t 9t driver, but I like hitting jumps not grinding. I run no pegs no guarded sprocket or half link...

I ride 28 9 and ride pretty much just street. Loads of pedal feebles, no guarded sprocket. I knock it from time to time and have split a few links. It's just something that's going to happen. I hate spinning out when coasting, so the bigger sprocket just feels nicer. It's also better for riding up hills as it's less work (harder to pedal, but less pedals per wheel rotation).
I've got shot knees and hips

|

1/14/2018 3:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/14/2018 3:23 AM

Maybe those road bike guys should start shifting up, when they go up hills then? Never heard of higher hears being better for hills. Interesting theory.

|

1/14/2018 5:11 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

Maybe those road bike guys should start shifting up, when they go up hills then? Never heard of higher hears being better for hills. Interesting theory.

road bikes and bmx bikes are so different that hardly anything directly relates, i was struggling because i was spinning out on a 25t even going up hills that werent very steep. i like 28t as well because you dont hav to pedal back so quickly in a fakie.

|

Hmmm

1/14/2018 6:12 AM

Edman123 wrote:

road bikes and bmx bikes are so different that hardly anything directly relates, i was struggling because i was spinning out on a 25t even going up hills that werent very steep. i like 28t as well because you dont hav to pedal back so quickly in a fakie.

I didn't even think about the fakie implications. I suppose a freecoaster would eliminate that problem.

On another note, bullet... If you are having a lot of trouble with sprocket guard options, why not go back to a 25 tooth sprocket and change your driver to a 10 or something like that so that you maintain the same (or similar) gear ratio?

|

1/14/2018 7:24 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/14/2018 7:26 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

Edman123 wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I didn't even think about the fakie implications. I suppose a freecoaster would eliminate that problem.

On another note, bullet... If you are having a lot of trouble with sprocket guard options, why not go back to a 25 tooth sprocket and change your driver to a 10 or something like that so that you maintain the same (or similar) gear ratio?

Not a bad idea...one I had not considered.

I might just do the old let it sit for a while deal. I am considering 4 pegging it, if I do, I will let you all know how it goes. Im waiting for another rear hubguard to come before I pop any more pegs on.

Also with fakies, it gives you more control, i can literally start pedaling forward and do the fakie all over again if Im going a certain speed.

I can regulate my speed better too if Im going too fast out of a quarter or something.

|

1/14/2018 11:23 AM

If you're willing to compromise, I think you should do a 24t Profile Imperial with a guard.

|

1/15/2018 7:57 AM

you could find an old solid (no cut outs) sprocket and grind it down to size to fit over your existing sprocket

|

It’s all bmx