Any advice on filming?

Related:
Create New Tag

3/27/2015 2:29 PM

I just want to know how to make something look good on camera

|

3/27/2015 3:02 PM

Not shaky, smooth movement, different angles, getting close when needed and far away when needed, practice and lots of it.

Those are some suggestions I have used before when me and the homies filmed. Also having different lenses helps you get closer and wider angles.

Also don't put up an edit of 14 billion of the same trick.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/27/2015 3:57 PM

What are you filming with? And what do you ride?

|

Insta: @thenoahrolf
Refs: Hatebreeder, vinum
Bike Check

Wrong! Russia doesn't even have gays! America is 80% homosexual! - mantaymark

the word n****r actually means ignorant in its original definition it wasn't until the internet became popular and it was changed to mean black people - OneGuyIlluminatiEye

3/27/2015 6:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/27/2015 6:43 PM

get a good camera, this is one of the more important steps
ive rarely seen good handycam or even really mobile footage

learning to film takes hand on experience, when i got my vx2100 i filmed for a couple weeks causually with some people, and a lot of the first 60 minutes of raw footage ended up throwaway because i was learning angles, color settings, shutter speeds, mic settings etc

it gets a lot easier the more you do it

invest in a proper camera and a proper fisheye, and a camera bag along with some other basics and you should be set to start filming

my setup, for example

vx2100
audio techica at875 external mic
2 batteries
lens cloth and cleaning fluid
canon 200eg camera backpack
century mk2 fisheye
random tripod

altogether that ran me just a bit over 550 because i waited on deals on ebay
scope out ebay, some amazing deals are found there Photo

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

3/27/2015 6:52 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Not shaky, smooth movement, different angles, getting close when needed and far away when needed, practice and lots of it.

...more

Aha thanks man. I know I'm not the type of guys to only feeble and 180

|

3/27/2015 6:55 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

...more

Thanks man. I'm saving up to buy a Panasonic AG-AC8PJ and I'm really close so in about a week I'll be clipping again

|

3/27/2015 7:05 PM

Don't film bad. Only film good.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

3/27/2015 7:09 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Don't film bad. Only film good.

You should be a life coach

|

3/27/2015 7:09 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

...more

cristian (zooker) whitelaw wrote:

Thanks man. I'm saving up to buy a Panasonic AG-AC8PJ and I'm really close so in about a week I'll be clipping again

that is a really bad choice tbh, its a shoulder mounted broadcast camera that you will have a very hard time finding a fisheye for
that kind of money leaves you with a lot of other options though

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

3/27/2015 7:13 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

...more

bmxsteve99 wrote:

that is a really bad choice tbh, its a shoulder mounted broadcast camera that you will have a very hard time finding a fisheye ...more

What do you think I should get, my style of riding is street and I'm more of a flow rider

|

3/27/2015 7:18 PM

Don't listen to all that. Special cameras aren't necessary if you haven't already learned proper technique. There are a bunch of things you can do with just an iphone. People i know have made things to hold them and a lot of our stuff at one point was filmed just fine with a flip camera.

Get a flip camera for however much, plenty of memory and shooting in 1080p (if you're lucky) is enough when you're starting out. I also recommend getting a good editing program. Editing can make a WORLD of difference. Final Cut Pro is awesome. There are others that people swear by, but as long as it gets the job done, who cares? I'd say iMovie isn't bad either if its updated but not everyone has a Mac like me.

Also, don't let Michael J Fox near your camera, he's a bad filmer.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

3/27/2015 7:20 PM

What do you think I should get, my style of riding is street and I'm more of a flow rider

your riding style doesnt have anything to do with this really

there are 3 different basic paths you can take with filming

a 'prosumer' camcorder such as the panasonic hpx170, which has a built in lens
this is the most expensive option, as the only really good fisheye option is the century extreme, which used will run you well over 1500 for the lens alone

a dslr (photo camera that can do video) such as the canon t3i, this has interchangeable lenses
this is the most versatile option. a camera body will be 3-500, a fisheye about 200, and you can develop all types of styles with different types of lenses

or a standard definition camera, which is what i have, for example on of the vx cameras (vx1000, vx2000, vx2100), or panasonic dvx100a/b/g/p

this type of camera will be 480p instead of HD, but some videographers (myself included) still use them because of the warm colors they often put out and whatnot
example:

was filmed entirely using vx series cameras
so was anthem 2, regarded as one of the best bmx videos of all time
|

3/27/2015 7:22 PM

MaximusBikes wrote:

Don't listen to all that. Special cameras aren't necessary if you haven't already learned proper technique. There are a bunch ...more

the problem with cameras like flip cameras is that they have little to no manual settings, which doesnt let the user learn any of the basic manual settings (shutter speed, aperature, iso, etc) and are extremely hard to keep steady, and the fisheyes made for it are absolutely terrible

|

3/27/2015 7:27 PM

MaximusBikes wrote:

Don't listen to all that. Special cameras aren't necessary if you haven't already learned proper technique. There are a bunch ...more

Okay man, I'll remember that for the rest of my life

|

3/27/2015 7:29 PM

MaximusBikes wrote:

bmxsteve99 wrote:

the problem with cameras like flip cameras is that they have little to no manual settings, which doesnt let the user learn any ...more

True, but there are also much cheaper cameras and you may find that help with that. Good technique comes before dropping a poop ton of money on something you barely know how to use. Start with a 150$ flip camera and work your way up is my best recommendation. Because i have used the expensive ones and unless you know what you're doing before you go into it, they can be pretty confusing and you don't wanna fuck them up. Plus spending 500-1000$ on a camera is pricey for most. I sure as hell wouldn't be buying one unless i knew i had a big future in all that. For now i'll just use my college connections to use one whenever i want. I go for free to college, live in the town, and my dad runs the Fine Arts department, i can borrow one for "a project" if i feel like it. haha

So i guess what i'm saying is, if you are even considering buying a real expensive camera, borrow one and have someone teach you about what's good and bad for one. Its BIG investment.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

3/27/2015 7:30 PM

one of the worst things people are told is that a camera is too good for them
starting with a good camera will force you to learn, while a shitty camera will just hold you back and frustrate you when you go to edit the footage together
if you have the money, get as good as a camera as you can, most people naturally have the basic techniques to film due to taking pics and vids on instagram

|

3/27/2015 7:40 PM

MaximusBikes wrote:

iMovie isn't bad, but depending which version of it you have, it's very limited for what you can do.

For instance, I'm using iMovie 09. I got my MacBook secondhand so idk if the previous owner was able to get an update for it and opted not to or what, but it gets the job done.

Only downfall is when exporting to full 1080HD, you have to manually configure the settings (Which is confusing for some people), otherwise it will only export to 720HD.

I only recently found that out, felt kinda dumb.

I'd love to have legit camera shit, but I cannot stand carrying bags and whatnot around. That's why I just bought a Death Lens and carry that around. Makes getting into tight areas that you'd normally cut heads off/be too close, a breeze. Only downfall with using an iPhone to film is there's no manual settings for them unless you purchase apps, which when filming with the wide angle Death Lens, you kinda need one to turn off the image stabilization, otherwise when you move too quickly while filming you'll see black edges even if you zoom in a tad.

|

3/27/2015 7:42 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

starting with a good camera will force you to ...more

I know what you're saying, but this guy could be like 13 on here and telling him he needs a 500$ camera is just gonna piss off his parents and he may not even know how to film. Not trying to be offensive. It's just a HUGE investment for something i doubt he would do very much at first, which is why something GoPro-like is a smarter way to start and get the hang of.

It's like cars. You don't start in a Bugatti (unless you're some spoiled faggot, therefore, shove the car up your ass), you should start with something practical and that you won't die in and as you get older you get better cars, unless you have a big family, then you get a van and cry yourself to sleep at night. But you get my point.

|

3/27/2015 7:45 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

iMovie isn't bad, but depending which version of it you have, it's very limited for what you can do.

For instance, I'm using ...more

I also have edited on iMovie 09. I don't like the stupid slowness, mine is giving up on me for some weird reason. It needs force quit like a hundred times.

But it's not a huge deal. Like i said before, it works.

|

3/27/2015 7:49 PM

MaximusBikes wrote:

I also have edited on iMovie 09. I don't like the stupid slowness, mine is giving up on me for some weird reason. It needs ...more

Mine never does that, it takes forever to export in full 1080HD but that's expected. Any editing software will be like that when exporting something like that.

Did you figure out what settings to use when exporting with iMovie to make it full 1080HD though? If not I can screenshot them for you and post them here

|

3/27/2015 8:12 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

Mine never does that, it takes forever to export in full 1080HD but that's expected. Any editing software will be like that ...more

I'm not super worried about that just yet, i do think i remember how to do it. I haven't been able to edit much sadly because everyone is so busy this time of year, we dont have anything to edit. haha

|

3/27/2015 8:19 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

MaximusBikes wrote:

I know what you're saying, but this guy could be like 13 on here and telling him he needs a 500$ camera is just gonna piss off ...more

he said he was buying a AG-AC8PJ which is 1200$
thats a huge investment vs a canon dslr or a sony vx2100, which you can get under 400 if you are lucky
if anything im telling him he doesnt need a super expensive cam

also, a standard def camcorder from over 10 years ago is far from a bugatti, but it still puts out good footage at a great price

|

3/27/2015 8:58 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

MaximusBikes wrote:

I know what you're saying, but this guy could be like 13 on here and telling him he needs a 500$ camera is just gonna piss off ...more

bmxsteve99 wrote:

thats a huge investment vs a canon dslr or a sony vx2100, which you can get ...more

I'm going to buy the Sony vx because it's way cheaper and the quality is the type I like aswell

|

3/27/2015 9:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/27/2015 9:05 PM

MaximusBikes wrote:

bmxsteve99 wrote:

thats a huge investment vs a canon dslr or a sony vx2100, which you can get ...more

I'm going to buy the Sony vx because it's way cheaper and the quality is the type I like aswell

solid choice
id recommend staying away from the vx1000 due to the fact that its over 20yrs old, even though the fisheye is a bit better
a vx2000 or 2100 are essentially identical, just make sure you read up on how to capture the footage, as it captures through the camera rather than with a memory card

|

3/27/2015 9:13 PM

MaximusBikes wrote:

I'm not super worried about that just yet, i do think i remember how to do it. I haven't been able to edit much sadly because ...more

Here's the settings I use, my most recent edit is the only one to have used them though cause I only just recently learned about it. It's apparently the most optimal settings for exporting 1080HD through iMovie 09 from what I've read from multiple sources.

Instead of just clicking Share > Export Movie, click Share > Export Using Quicktime, where you can set everything manually. Once you set the settings you won't have to again, just make sure "Most Recent Settings" is selected as well as "Movie to MPEG-4.

Then click options, and make everything as you see on the left below. Obviously if your camera films in 30FPS, change it to 30 in the frame rate. Mine's 60FPS so that's why it's 60, although my last edit had 60 & 30FPS and I still had 60 checked and it didn't affect anything but still haha. Then just export it by saving. It'll take much longer, but look much better.

Photo

|

3/27/2015 9:17 PM

Just gonna throw this out there, i do fine with a 3rd gen gopro and windows movie maker...

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

3/27/2015 9:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/27/2015 9:30 PM

blaaaaaaaaa wrote:

Just gonna throw this out there, i do fine with a 3rd gen gopro and windows movie maker...

good for you
some people are more invested in filming and want things such as sharper lenses, manual exposure settings, and good sound, I wasnt satisfied using a gopro
do whatever you want

|

3/27/2015 10:16 PM

MaximusBikes wrote:

Flip cameras are possibly the worst things ever. Some people aren't okay with shitty quality. iPhones would be a much better choice, but if you're even half way serious, you need a real camera.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

3/27/2015 10:46 PM

MaximusBikes wrote:

Xxohioanxx wrote:

Flip cameras are possibly the worst things ever. Some people aren't okay with shitty quality. iPhones would be a much better ...more

this
my main gripe with the iphones however is the fisheyes
first of all, the glass quality of even the death lenses give significant chromatic abberation as well as blurring towards the edges, and the lack of a way to turn off image stabilization makes the vignetting (black corners) bounce all around

|

3/27/2015 11:11 PM

bmxsteve99 wrote:

this
my main gripe with the iphones however is the fisheyes
first of all, the glass quality of even the death lenses give ...more

Can confirm, I have a death lens. Mine's the wide angle so it's not as bad as some of the fish eye ones I've seen in videos, but at the very edges of the left & right of the screen, it's a bit blurry. Zooming in just a hair helps with the vignette, but if the phone gets moved quickly or bounced a bit, you can still see them. I don't feel like paying even a few bucks for a shitty camera app just to turn the stabilization off though.

iPhones have good cameras in them though at least and paired with a death lens you can get some good shots/clips that otherwise would be difficult to get like in some small spots.

|