Any mountain bikers ??

Related:
Create New Tag

12/1/2016 3:39 PM

I hope it's ok I posted this in general discussion. Anyway, I'm curious.. Who on this forum is into mountain biking? I'm 49 and just bought a cheap bmx to fool around on, but mtb is what I really love. Has anyone made the transition..and is it not friggn fun or what ? Man, I miss Scotty Cramner's vids of he and big boy shredding some jersey trails..

|

12/1/2016 4:02 PM

I'm 46.
I ride a bmx bike, mtn bike and road bike.

I'd rather be on the bmx but at my age I can't always get out to the trails on the bmx.

I ride the road bike to try and keep somewhat in shape. The mtn bike is fun too but bmx is the fountain of youth.

|

12/1/2016 4:06 PM

I tried mountain biking, and i just couldnt get into it. It felt so sluggish and heavy. Bunny hops where harder. It was fast, i liked that, but i sold it after 3 months of trying to get used to it. I think mountain bike geometry is just too different. Its not for me.

|

12/1/2016 4:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/1/2016 4:49 PM

I tried DH once, it was so much fun to go fast down the mountain, take some jumps, slaloming between trees, and putting that back brake to use to drift on sharp turns, it's like a crossover between my two sports of predilection, BMX and snowboarding.
The BMX background helped me alot, and it's funny to ride a big bike with that BMX approach of things.

Rigid or half rigid freestyle MTB's are pointless to me tho, a BMX is way more fun for that kind of riding.

|

12/1/2016 9:59 PM

Ride xc on a hard tail and a 140mm travel full suspension for everything else. It's super fun I'd recommend anyone to try it out. Going somewhere with a lift is fun because everything is downhill and there's no climbing. I want to add a 26' slope bike to my stable. Super fun.

|

12/1/2016 10:16 PM

Coopers25 wrote:

Ride xc on a hard tail and a 140mm travel full suspension for everything else. It's super fun I'd recommend anyone to try it out. Going somewhere with a lift is fun because everything is downhill and there's no climbing. I want to add a 26' slope bike to my stable. Super fun.

I'd also like to add that if you point a dh bike down an awesome trail it'll be the most fun that you ever had guaranteed

|

12/1/2016 11:03 PM

Sometimes i ride my bmx instead of mtb on DH tracks, a little bumpy but its super fun laughing
Rear brake and knobby tires are a must-have tho if you dont wanna die

|

12/2/2016 2:00 AM

ive rode friends. and i feel like if i had the money to drop on one id really enjoy it. its just not really in the cards right now. maybe later in life. lol

|

skooter... dont be a pussy

skooter: "WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE ME VODKA!?"
sketchytravis: "... because i like being drunk, and if i give you my vodka im not drunk as much"
Chuck8273: "Logical. I like this logic. "

12/2/2016 7:38 AM

I was born on a mountain bike, am a hardcore mountain biker.

I came over to BMX to learn a few tricks, but fell in love along the way. So I'm stuck here as well.

I've done XC, DH, Freeride... I prefer Downhilling or slopestyle or freeride-the speed you're going at and the jumps can't beat BMX...

Oh wait.

Sweet jumps on a BMX can't get beaten by ANYTHING.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

12/2/2016 8:00 AM

I wish. I want to MTB so badly. But they're so damn expensive and I'd rather upgrade my regular rider and build midschool on the side.

|





12/2/2016 8:49 AM

ayy, I ride downhill and im planning on racing next season

|

12/2/2016 9:22 AM

been riding MTB since 92...still have my trek Mountain Track 830 from back then. It is now my commuter.

Just got a Surly Krampus this Spring and it is unstoppable. It is like a big BMX bike but with better brakes. Fully rigid steel is the only way to ride!!!!

Never got into the crazy downhill stuff. Have always been into singletrack riding and "bushwacking" - making up my own trails as I go. Probably fall closest to "All Mountain" or XC in the current styles. Just started bike packing 2 years ago, combining my love of camping and biking.

Most favorite time to rie is inthe fall and winter. LOVE riding in the snow! I do that when the streets and skateparks are too icy or snowy to ride in. The woods becomes my park

I grew up in the 70's and 80's riding my BMx (Mongoose Supergoose) on dirt trails, so I was technically MTBing then too. I would love to eventually build up a trail BMX bike soon to do that again, but the Krampus pretty much does it anyways, just on bigger wheels

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

12/2/2016 12:18 PM

For me mountain biking is what took me away from BMX for 20 years or so. Before mountain bikes were a thing we would explore the labyrinth of trails, in the river valleys that started at the edge of our neighborhood, on BMX's. Our rides got longer and longer. So when mountain bikes hit the scene we embraced the big wheeled geared bikes that could just take us further into the woods.

The twitchy nimbleness and free to jump anything feeling of BMX always called to me over the years. But until just five years or so ago I couldn't justify getting one. Feels good to have one sitting in the stable again!

|

12/2/2016 1:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/2/2016 1:03 PM

I began my bike life on a Specialized Hardtail dirt jumper, a 24-inch. The nimbleness of a BMX drew me in, but I wish I still kept the 24-incher sometimes.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn

12/2/2016 3:26 PM

Cool. I'm glad I asked the question.. It's interesting to read about your backgrounds, how you started, etc. I actually was into bmx at a young age- for a few years or so. I remember some of the crazy stuff we did..setting up a bunch of garbage cans and seeing how many we could jump over, jumping over each other, learning to do table tops and whips..and just riding in the dirt trails that we built. I got into mountain biking in the late 90s, stopped until 4 yrs ago and now I'm completely hooked. There's nothing like being out in nature..in the middle of a forest exploring, swerving in and out of trees, hitting a little drop, letting your suspension soak up the chatter over roots, then navigating through a rock garden and clawing your way up a technical climb, then..woohoo back down a steep, scary section. You get my point.. It's so fun- unpredictable, fast, and just fun. Oh, and it's incredible exercise.. The best aerobic exercise you can think of. Now that I just bought a beginner bmx bike, I'm looking forward to goofing around a bit on one again...

|

12/2/2016 3:56 PM

Here's my only other bike. Charge Cooker Maxi 1. It's a good time on any terrain, but I don't ride it enough, so it might be sold.

Photo

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

12/3/2016 6:26 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

been riding MTB since 92...still have my trek Mountain Track 830 from back then. It is now my commuter.

Just got a Surly Krampus this Spring and it is unstoppable. It is like a big BMX bike but with better brakes. Fully rigid steel is the only way to ride!!!!

Never got into the crazy downhill stuff. Have always been into singletrack riding and "bushwacking" - making up my own trails as I go. Probably fall closest to "All Mountain" or XC in the current styles. Just started bike packing 2 years ago, combining my love of camping and biking.

Most favorite time to rie is inthe fall and winter. LOVE riding in the snow! I do that when the streets and skateparks are too icy or snowy to ride in. The woods becomes my park

I grew up in the 70's and 80's riding my BMx (Mongoose Supergoose) on dirt trails, so I was technically MTBing then too. I would love to eventually build up a trail BMX bike soon to do that again, but the Krampus pretty much does it anyways, just on bigger wheels

I'm mostly into DH and the freaky stuff when I'm over visiting france.

But when I'm stuck here it's XC I'm doing.

I ride a 2012 Specialized Rockhopper, 26 inchers. I've been wanting to try some bikepacking (it's a great country to bikepack around here), but with school and whatnot it's really hard to find the time.

Not stopping me from looking tho, and one bike I've been eyeing for since a long time is that bike you've got... That beast.

The Surly Krampus...

I guess I'll have to go through college and a few years of work before I get one. Cheaper than a fully suspended DH carbon thingy and much more fun in it's own, I guess. I would like to see a belt drive with a Rohloff on one, it should be pretty indestructible.

Oh boy.

Here's to a few more years of learnin'.

How's the riding? Any long distance trips planned?

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

12/3/2016 6:30 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Here's my only other bike. Charge Cooker Maxi 1. It's a good time on any terrain, but I don't ride it enough, so it might be sold.

Photo

You should get ultralow gear, a snorkel, ride that thing through the pond and up the other side...

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

12/3/2016 7:46 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Here's my only other bike. Charge Cooker Maxi 1. It's a good time on any terrain, but I don't ride it enough, so it might be sold.

Photo

that is a sweet bike. LOVE the fully rigid fattie!!! Don't get rid of it...ride it more wink

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

12/3/2016 8:10 PM

sXeBMXer wrote:

been riding MTB since 92...still have my trek Mountain Track 830 from back then. It is now my commuter.

Just got a Surly Krampus this Spring and it is unstoppable. It is like a big BMX bike but with better brakes. Fully rigid steel is the only way to ride!!!!

Never got into the crazy downhill stuff. Have always been into singletrack riding and "bushwacking" - making up my own trails as I go. Probably fall closest to "All Mountain" or XC in the current styles. Just started bike packing 2 years ago, combining my love of camping and biking.

Most favorite time to rie is inthe fall and winter. LOVE riding in the snow! I do that when the streets and skateparks are too icy or snowy to ride in. The woods becomes my park

I grew up in the 70's and 80's riding my BMx (Mongoose Supergoose) on dirt trails, so I was technically MTBing then too. I would love to eventually build up a trail BMX bike soon to do that again, but the Krampus pretty much does it anyways, just on bigger wheels

Skylight wrote:

I'm mostly into DH and the freaky stuff when I'm over visiting france.

But when I'm stuck here it's XC I'm doing.

I ride a 2012 Specialized Rockhopper, 26 inchers. I've been wanting to try some bikepacking (it's a great country to bikepack around here), but with school and whatnot it's really hard to find the time.

Not stopping me from looking tho, and one bike I've been eyeing for since a long time is that bike you've got... That beast.

The Surly Krampus...

I guess I'll have to go through college and a few years of work before I get one. Cheaper than a fully suspended DH carbon thingy and much more fun in it's own, I guess. I would like to see a belt drive with a Rohloff on one, it should be pretty indestructible.

Oh boy.

Here's to a few more years of learnin'.

How's the riding? Any long distance trips planned?

dude...I had to wait till after college to get mine...and I was on the 20 year plan! Rode my faithful 26" fully rigid Trek the whole time. It has now become my commuter/paved trail bike so it is still in use. And yeah, I think it is awesome that it can roll with pretty much any drivetrain set up. I will have to get my Masters to afford the Rohloff, but I am old school and like the sprockets anyways...

you are in Loas? Probably lots of twisty singletracky kind of stuff eh? Wet. a 29+ would probably be the right thing for that kind of riding

No really long trips planned, but am definitely excited for Christmas Break here in the States. I will have 2 weeks of blissful winter riding. Will probably strap on the bags and start doing some training with gear. Planning for summer, when I have more time for long rides.

A couple of pix of a ride in Michigan this summer

Photo

Photo

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence